Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. berto

berto Well-Known Member

@tmeyer, you are correct. In your scenario, I think I would have taken the risk of physically removing her from the coinstar before she poured in the coins!

Last year, I was in line at a bank so I could buy whatever loose halves and large dollar coins they may have on-hand. An older lady was standing nearby at a teller station and I overheard their conversation. The older lady wanted to get currency for one American Silver Eagle and a handful of silver halves. The teller was kind and explained to her the coins had value above face value. The teller encouraged the lady to take her coins to a coin shop. The lady was flustered and frustrated, but she left the teller station and began to walk toward the bank exit. I approached her on her way out the door and offered to buy her coins. As a result of my approaching her, she and I stood by the bank coffee maker for a few minutes and struck a deal that was good for both of us, which was melt value at the time...Win-win.

tmeyer, Seattlite86 and calishield like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Believe me, there are no more large dollar coins at this bank. I bought them all. My favorite head teller will try ordering more large dollars for me in a month or so. I doubt I will get this lucky again, but I won't know until I try!

In my area September through January are the best months to obtain silver coins at face value via banks. I think this is generally true throughout the US because many folks cash in coins so they can afford to buy holiday gifts for family and friends. I do not know about you, but I am looking forward to making time to hit up a few banks soon!

I have been thinking about the best way to thank my favorite head teller. I gave her a gift card awhile back and she appreciated it, so I think I will keep it simple and do so again next week when I pickup my usual order of half dollar boxes.

TexAg and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm currently living overseas and miss the ability to go to banks and hunt for silver. Having said that, I've done pretty darn well over here doing CRH'ing with US coins. I should be posting some more finds soon.

furryfrog02 and berto like this.
  5. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

Treats, yes.
    Chocolate.

Rinse.

Repeat.

spirityoda and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

berto likes this.
  7. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

I love when stuff like that happens. Keeps you smiling for months!

berto likes this.
  8. afm1982

Luckily, not a "once in a lifetime" event. Over the years, I've come across these types of scores from banks. Each time is a little different. For instance, in the last decade I've scored (each part of a single score): 5 crisp red bens; pair of brown seal Andrews; N. Africa Hammy; 2 ASEs; several random morgan/peace; pair of barber halfs from a tray; just as examples.

While the score is always different, the smile is just as great.

calishield, NOS and berto like this.
  9. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I work as a cashier and cracked open a roll of dimes about two weeks ago and knew at first glance I had something. 16 silver dimes, 10 silver Roosevelt's and 6 Mercury. I quickly bought them for $1.60. Since all the dimes were close in date I assume someone may have inherited them, popped them out of Whitman folder, rolled them up and took them to the bank without knowing what they had.

berto and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh not sarcasm at all. Your pile looked like it would of taking you days to just identify those coins. Being in the usa most of my life. I only know of canadian andUSA MONEY. That would be alot of googling for me

TexAg and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Seattlite86

Luckily, I collect world coins and can identify 99% of country of origins at first look at the coin. :)

12. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Searched 1 of my 2 boxes of halves for this week:

1 bicentennial greaser
    1 lowball ‘72

Meh
    FD3266FC-F47E-4A93-B8B9-2C8E347D19A9.jpeg

NOS and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

berto likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

This represents me hastily searching 10,000 nickels (note: I get these in bags, not rolls/boxes).

62x war nickels, or about 1 per 4 rolls.
    1B1BEA8B-544B-4DFE-95E6-5481454F0620.jpeg
    Around 300 pre ‘60 nickels or one per roll.
    1DE9E6C0-B47D-4834-BECC-832394D3EA39.jpeg
    22x buffalo and liberty nickels or one per 11 rolls. Three no date, one is D mint Mark. I think the holed one is a T1 1913, but maybe 1917. The 1913-P to the right of it is T1. No as many as I usually get for this group, but I am spoiled.
    2D7CE35F-2056-4C44-A668-414239D1C979.jpeg
    A few oddities. Most specifically is the 1957-D with a very coppery look to it.
    9B332A16-077A-4AC2-8361-069CD910CA46.jpeg 4051A2A6-E0B4-4429-B4BE-E9398DD006E2.jpeg

15. shawmutt

shawmutt Member

OK I have issues. I’m going to need to limit the rolls I bring home—I simply cannot stop if even one roll is left unsearched. I’m getting a bit more efficient, and think $5 of pennies will be my sweet spot for a Friday night. $50 was a slog, I never want to do that again.

Tonight I did $11.50 of CWR. Had some interesting finds. A beauty of an upgrade for my 1963 D
    D16B0220-DE88-4969-85BE-6A1C515D6D3B.jpeg

A rimless 1970 (I’m thinking maybe post mint damage )

B28E7653-C81A-47FE-BEF3-365D3C768031.jpeg

And this bad boy. I’m going to post this again for some opinions on the date. Regardless of when in the 20’s, it’s my oldest find to date.

88681910-B4F2-44C8-9BCB-1B411885F47E.jpeg

Seattlite86 and berto like this.
  16. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

FYI, I recently was given several hundred foreign coins which more than doubled my foreign coin collection. When I started putting my foreign collection together a few months ago, I started Googling the various coins entering the Country, Year, & Denomination. Numista.com proved to be the most helpful website in determining mintage, varieties, and metallurgy.

Jasanche and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Second and final box of halves for this week yielded only 3 NIFC.

I was somewhat surprised it was lackluster given there were relatively few marked coins or coins with scratches from the coin rolling machine.

Oh well, there’s always next week.

HH

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

After only 1 silver (a Franklin) in the last 11-1/2 box equivalent (mostly MWRS with some CWRs), I finally broke out of my half dollar silver slump today with 1x64, 1x67, & 1x68-D. This has been my worst skunk streak ever.:depressed: I looked forward to the second box from the same bank - but no silver, only 6 NIFCs. There were some nice AU coins mixed in there which could be upgrades to my duplicate tubes. I really think in my small to medium sized town with a few other CRHers, we may have cleaned out the lion’s share of silver circulating here. I’ll keep on searching for the occasional collection dump hoping to get lucky, but the silver has really dried up around here.:meh:
    84AA8FC7-8642-4E4A-A0A7-E86CA4D0330C.jpeg

berto likes this.
  19. afm1982

I like the low-tech Standard Catalogues. They index every county, denomination, mintage, metalurgy, and there is a picture and description of the obverse and reverse of every coin. (pages are as thin as phone book paper) I think I'm much faster with the book than the websites. Also, it helps alot with coins that have writing in a language I can't identify.

TexAg likes this.
  20. Seattlite86

This represents searching approximately 20,000 quarters and 20,000 dimes. 1x silver quarter per 39x rolls and 1x silver dime per 16x rolls.

F2A722DF-5DCA-4703-A799-AB0FCBA241B1.jpeg AB916B78-17A0-41CD-A173-5548D4AB58D9.jpeg A927F407-2856-4339-9F3B-3AC8EA21AD23.jpeg

SlipperySocks and halvessearcher like this.
  21. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

I'd kill to get your rate of buffalo nickels and v nickels finds. You aren't buying regular coins, are those? Those are pretty loaded.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted