Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

Okey dokie. It stands for Straight Dope Message Boards. Sort of a general-interest informational forum, like Coin Talk, but not specific to any subject.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your username? There's a Colibri over there, too...

Joe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Colibri

Colibri Junior Member

Long story short, colibri is Columbian Spanish for hummingbird. My dad had a sports car that he name colibri. I latter drove it for years so I used the same name for the car.

4. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Picked up an interesting box of cents today. It's the type with the holes in the top so you can see the rolls. Today's box I could see that the majority of the rolls had LP1 P cents on top not not all of the. It broke down like this:

9 with old cents top and bottom
    10 with Lp1 on top old on bottom
    31 with lp1 top and bottom

Opened 1st 19 rolls and 1 of the 31. The rolls have worked out to be about 1/2 and 1/2 with four wheat's in the group of old. I will go through the other 30 rolls tonight but expect about the same results maybe a little higher on the LP1 side. Now what to do with all of these lp1 cents???

And yes, I have quite the empty box collection going :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Nice pickup I like all the new ones try ebay or craigslist to sell them. I charge $55 for the box on Craigslist. and they pickup...
    I only found a 1948 today through $10 in pennies
    However I did get three silver certificates so its all even.

6. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

I found a 1968-S proof cent today my second proof lincoln i have found in circulation.

7. sodbuster

sodbuster Junior Member

Bob, I have found a few 40%ers that looked an awful lot like copper-nickel clads, too. Makes it harder to catch them...

-David

8. WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler Junior Member

Charging me to accept rolled coins!

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse! Citibank must be doing very well...

I went into the Reston VA Citibank branch (you remember - the same one that wants $1 per roll for coins), and they told me that the manager says that I will now be charged $1 per roll to deposit rolled coins into my checking account.

Here's what I sent on their website - followed by their response. I'm waiting on confirmation that their "official" response is that charging the $1 for a deposit is wrong. I will post it when they respond again. Does anyone have any information (not just opinions) about this?

Mine:

I periodically ask for rolled coins as well as deposit large amounts of rolled coins into my Citibank checking account.

Yesterday, when I received $500 in rolled half dollars, I was told that future rolled coin withdrawals will cost me $1 per roll.

Citibank is charging me $11 to get $10 worth of coins. I’m not asking for a loan. I’m withdrawing my own money and you’re charging me to do so.

This morning when I deposited a large amount of I was told that future deposits would cost me a $1 per roll there.

I find this to be terrible customer relations and even worse customer service. I have been a Citibank member since 1994. I have direct deposit, bill payment, checking, saving, credit cards, CDs and loans with Citibank. I maintain $20 – 30K in my accounts.

And you’re charging me to withdraw and deposit coins. Granted, I’m depositing $1 – 2K and withdrawing $500, but cash is cash and funds are funds.

I don’t want to move to another banking institution and I find it hard to believe that Citibank is doing so well that you can drive customers away.

Is it Citibank policy to charge these unreasonable fees? Or is this a local jurisdiction / decision? Is it even legal to charge for deposits and withdrawals?

Someone please contact me.

Thank you
    xxxx

Theirs:

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your message regarding the fees to withdrawal rolled coins. We appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments and have forwarded it to our Design and Development staff for review.

Please note that this is a standard processing fee. I have contacted the financial center and they assure me that we do not charge for depositing rolled coins. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you are considering changing banks, we invite you to compare the broad range of benefits you receive as a Citibank customer to those offered by other financial institutions. Citibank offers a complete line of banking products including but not limited to: online access to your accounts, bill payment, investing, credit cards, mortgages, and insurance. You are provided unlimited access to our web site and may contact our professional staff of Customer Service Representatives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by phone or online at no cost.

We hope that after taking a look at the many benefits Citibank offers, you will decide to continue to bank with us. You are a valued customer since 1997 and we look forward to helping you meet your financial goals.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to send us a message or call Citibank Online Client Services at 1-800-374-9700. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,
    Citibank Online Client Services

9. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

It is not worth it.

Just close your accounts and move on.

10. tomsimons

tomsimons Junior Member

Picked up $60 in halves at the local Wachovia. They said they had "been there forever"... all hand rolled. Wish me luck!

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Those are sometimes, the BEST kind.......good luck

12. tomsimons

tomsimons Junior Member

Shuout going through $30...

EDIT:
    ... and shutout through the next $30 as well. Oh well, that was fun for an afternoon.

13. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Out of three boxes of half dollars I found no silver until the very last roll I opened I found a 1964 that was a surprise. Didnt think I would find any!

14. WearyTraveler

Citibank update...

Sorry about getting this off topic but I wanted to post the results of my latest correspondence with Citibank.

It looks like the little guy may have a partial victory here folks! :kewl:

However, the realist in my suspects that I'll be wrigint my account nummber on all the rolls in the future!

Their response:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for using Citibank's Online Message Center. I received your message inquiring about the fee for rolled coins. It will be my pleasure to assist you further.

I confirmed with the Financial Center manager that a fee is applicable per roll of coin withdrawals, not on deposits. Customer Service Center is not able to waive the fee. I apologize for any confusion.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please send us a message or call Citibank Online Client Services at 1-800-374-9700. Internationally, you can call us collect at 001-210-677-0065. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Mr. xxx, thank you for choosing Citibank online. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,
    Citibank Online Client Services

15. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

10.50 in halves: 5 40%ers and 1 90%.:D

16. Aggiecollector

Aggiecollector Junior Member

Wearytraveler,

One of my banks told me they could no longer order coins for me due to the fees it costs them. I asked what the fees were and if I could pay the fee (if not too high) and still order the boxes. They told me by law they were not allowed to directly pass this fee on to customers. Now, I am talking about a federal credit union so banks would be different but just FYI.

Erin

17. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

$300 in halves= nothing
    $2 in loose dollars= 1 1974 Eisenhower S
    Funniest thing is when I asked for her non-gold dollars she attempted to say the presidents were more scarce, then when I told her i wanted the big one, she hesistated held on to it then flung it on the counter. I can now see why lol

18. Flatlander

Flatlander Junior Member

Had my kids go through $200 in halves looking for silver only. Got one 1967 40%. Now I'll make a second pass with them looking for other mint marks, etc.

19. jmon

jmon Numismatist In Training

You can order a pre-inked stamp online for less than $20. I think it would be well worth your while :) I might even go so far as stock piling coins for a while and then bring in a truck load for them to deal with. I did that at a credit union that erked me a while back - went in with a rolling cooler full of rolled coins, mostly pennies :p

20. WearyTraveler

AggieCollector,

I'm going to avoid Citibank for withdrawing coins. Too much of a PITA with them, and they say the fee is standard. I'm not going to argue that, especially when my Credit Union will (so far) get them for me for free.

However, I will continue to use Citibank for deposits.

I normally put the rolls in a box, standing on end, so that the teller can easily count them.

If they tell me that I have to put additional information on the rolls (so far - nothing has been required), I'm going to find a canvas bag and hand the teller a bag full of rolls. Let them count the hard way, by picking each roll out of the bag. It's unfortunate that the teller and the customer have to pay for the manager's anality.

Updates to follow!

21. WearyTraveler

Now for the results of my coin checking.

Out of the $200 in halves, nadda. )-: But I'm just looking for silver, not specific coins.

I like an earlier post about actually using the halves rater than directly deposit.

I paid for dinner the other night with halves. The cashier said that the halves were cool and she really liked them. :)

I've been carrying around a small bag of halves and leaving them as tips. No complaints so far. :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted