Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. berto

berto Well-Known Member

David,

Nickel box = $100
    Dime box = $250
    Quarter box = $500
    Half dollar box = $500

Arby likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. berto

berto Well-Known Member

$70 in CWR halves and $2 loose from 1 bank, and $60 MWR halves from another bank tonight yielded zilch...Back to reality for me!

4. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

That pretty much says no dime or quarter boxes for me.
    And I can't really see the benefits of doing nickels.
    But I wonder how many DDO and other errors I'm missing on the pennies.....

Larry E likes this.
  5. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

I always ask for SBA dollars and search for Wide Rims, but these I actually try to sell. Apparently they're not worth anything unless they're MS63+ =(

6. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

1 box halves and 4 boxes dimes today.
    371F01EF-8E49-442F-972E-DE58CF394B2F.jpeg

SilverTracker and berto like this.
  7. Robby Bee

Robby Bee Member

Part 2 of this came and passed. I retrieved over $1,100 in CWR halves from regular banks where all the tellers said they were "around for a while" and unsearched. No BWR box activities or anything. Once I go through them, I'll post the results. However, it could have been another $400, if it weren't for tellers at a FCU nearby. This is the story, and I'd like the group's feedback because it's confusing to me (and I've been a semi-active CRH'er for over 6 years).

I pick up my last batch of halves from the last bank, which were there for over a year, according to the teller. To be thorough and, on a hunch, I go to the neighboring (small) Federal Credit Union, and ask for halves; It was near closing time. The tellers uniformly say No - we don't get them often and we don't get much of them. Then, to the surprise of everyone there, one teller says, " Oh yeah, I remember that Customer X just dropped off $400 in halves." I asked if they were searched and if there was a pattern of box ordering and returning. This middle aged teller said, "No - anytime we get these they come from Granny's estate!" Management then says I need to open an account and demonstrate residency. Because this find came as a surprise, I said I need to return in 2 days to get an address, which is when I would be passing through the area again. Management said fine. I then asked, "Can you keep the halves for me until I return Wednesday?" Then another (twenty something) teller pipes in, "We cannot hold them and We cannot guarantee that the half dollars will be here when you return. They have to be available for other customers."

Fast forward two days, I return to the FCU per their instructions. I have the local address needed and am ready to open the account and get the halves. Before I do, I ask management to confirm they are still there. Of course they are not. The same teller who said she couldn't hold on to them said a customer miraculously appeared for the the halves the previous day and took them. They are now gone. She added for emphasis, "that's the thing with half dollars, we never hold onto them for long."

Frustration aside, in my CRH experience, I never had much luck with credit unions. Only one paid off, and that was from two older (i.e. 2011), unopened BWR boxes that were left over. The others were completely picked and some even came from historic collections with labeled rolls. For those out there, especially with Credit Union experience, I have these questions:

Upon finding out of a new batch of halves, did the teller tip off someone on the inside to pick them before I could return?

What is the likelihood that there was silver in them (even though ultimately that is unknowable) - are CU's traditionally picked over like what my past experience tells me? Did this batch come from a picked over collection dump and the dumpers just say they liquidate estates?

Is this an indication of overall ongoing CRH activity in the area - is the area hunted, and am I going to be greeted with a bunch of collector dumps and skunks with the remainder I was able to gather?

Was Management part of this conspiracy?

I look forward to your responses.

8. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Robby, you take your CRHing more seriously than I do. CRHing is a game of chance. You win some, and you lose some. I imagine you’ll find some keepers in the halves you accumulated. I recommend you forget about the $400 worth and instead look forward to your next trip around asking for halves.

FWIW my better finds have been from banks.

bhh likes this.
  9. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

My guess is she glanced at them. Saw some good stuff and has someone come get them. But no way to know for sure OR she has a CR hunting friend/client she is friends with that SHE wanted to save them for.

10. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

Last box of pennies finds 15285176623092136498288.jpg

calishield likes this.
  11. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Went in to deposit a check. This teller always lets me know when there are halves available. I notice a few silver halves in the tray. Sweet. She tells me she has $230 in halves plus the $6 in the tray. Could I be a huge find???

All but one of the cwr of halves were skunk. One was in a different wrapper... All 90%. 16 jfk, 3 franklin, and 1 walker. The loose were 90% and 40% jfk. Best find in a long time.

halves.jpg

12. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

With all the cameras in your face nowadays I try to nonchalantly crane my neck while bank tray hunting.

13. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

I can't compete with some of the huge half dollar finds that have been posted the past few weeks. Finished my 10th box of halves this weekend. No silver but it did have 3 NIFC's. Sadly, they were three that I already had. Also had a nice MS 01d that I kept and put in a 2x2 just because it looked so good. It's been several boxes since I found any silver but the NIFC's keep me going. Hopefully my luck will change soon.

14. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

Last week I searched $70 in Bank wrapped halves and $1.50 in loose halves. This was from two different banks, both skunk

15. davidharmier60firefox

Got a worn but otherwise nice 34D out of a roll of pennies today. Some of my 5.60 and up are making 6.80 and up with a thin sheen of grease.

16. santy

santy Member

I Bought 1box of penny last week
    Found these.
    1874 Indian head
    1914d
    And crazy Lincolns like double headed reverse,spitting lincoln,speared lincoln,and talking lincoln.

calishield likes this.
  17. JayF

JayF Active Member

$5.00 cents and $10.00 nickels :

7 x 2009 and finally found my first and one and only Formative Years. Now I have all four.
    1 x 1978 S Lincoln Proof (Very cool!)
    1 x 2018D Nickel
    1 x 1941S Nickel
    2 x 1954 Nickels (Both S)
    3 x 1964 Nickels (2 Den / 1 Phi)

IMG_6330.jpg IMG_6331.jpg IMG_6332.jpg IMG_6333.jpg

calishield likes this.
  18. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

One box yielded

Attached Files:

Arby, Ron Henry and calishield like this.
  19. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

7 Dollars in loose halves resulted in 1 1964!
    I love 90% :)
    Would be nice to find another frankie one day (I've only found 1 in my career, as well as 1 WLH)

Ron Henry likes this.
  20. davidharmier60firefox

Finished my box that Trish will buy tomorrow.
    Between the copper pennies from the last 10 rolls and a roll marked 5.69 I made a 6.94 and a 5.66.
    If I had room to do it I'd get 4 or 5 rolls out and make a 7 out of them.

21. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

$50 in halves and 25 dollar coins... nothing of interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted