Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Yes. In nickel, dimes, and penny boxes. At first I didn’t know what to think but pretty standard I guess. Low on wrappers that day!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

At work, someone must've paid for a copy or 3D print or something, because when i got into work this morning i found 30 cents on the desk, the quarter being a 1964. Haven't seen a silver quarter in a while!

berto likes this.
  4. Jasanche

Jasanche Member

Hello,

So, I often run into sharpie-marked halves and I really don't mind. If you want to keep the coin, a quick acetone bath is all it usually takes to get rid of it.

But now I've run into this:
    2018-05-18 21.40.58.jpg

About three out of twenty halves are scratched this way.
    1526694498955-1302157399.jpg

Not nice. Not nice at all...

*coins and Endeavor like this.
  5. ace71499

Oh my I forgot to post the most exciting news. On my way to work, the bank I usually stop at has a full box of halves for me, and I didn't even order them. Going back Monday because I didn't have the proper funding. Fingers crossed for some silver in this mystery box.

berto likes this.
  6. berto

berto Well-Known Member

7. berto

berto Well-Known Member

I searched a box of halves about 3 years ago and found about 40 scratched halves similar to your photos. The coins were otherwise BU...Very Unfortunate.

My guess was an angry girlfriend stole her ex’s coin collection and went the extra mile to get back at him by scratching every coin in his collection in case he successfully got the coins back from the bank in which she deposited them :shame:

8. Jasanche

Jasanche Member

Unfortunate indeed. About half of the coins in some rolls were scratched. On the obverse and reverse. I bet it took some time...

9. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this with AU NIFC presidential dollar coins. Brand new coins with intentional disfiguring scratches. Makes steam come out of my ears to see that.

10. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

What is even better than Acetone, 91% Rubbing Alcohol, Its not toxic Like Acetone and works great, I believe its cheaper as well!

juris klavins likes this.
  11. Jasanche

Jasanche Member

Will have to give it a try! Thanks for the info.

Arby likes this.
  12. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

I hope you find something good, keep us posted!

13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Agreed - a q-tip dipped in Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will remove permanent marker ink from most surfaces. Volatility and flammability is similar to acetone, so handle with care in a ventilated area away from spark and flame :cool:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Arby likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

*coins, Arby, Endeavor and 1 other person like this.
  15. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Found CRHing yesterday...

CRH_IHC[1].jpg

Christobal, bhh, *coins and 7 others like this.
  16. ace71499

A coworker just contacted me asking me if I'd like to count all the money for the local elementary school booksale. Mostly cash, but also a rather large amount of coins. Should total to around 3-5,000. At least 100 in coins. Can't wait to look through them. Who knows if one of the kids when through grandpas change bin! Lots of good coin things are happening to me this week, hoping for some good luck (and/or silver!)

17. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

Definitely let us know the results!

18. AllCoExpat

AllCoExpat Well-Known Member

$20 CWR Cents: 19, 20, 41, 43 (steel), 46, 51-D, 52-D and 615 coppers

$106 CWR Nickels: 39, 40 (x3), 41 (x2), 46 (x2), 46-S, 47, 47-S, 48, 49, 52-D, 53, 54, 54-D, 55-D, 56, 57-D (x2), 58-D, 59, 59-D (x2), and a dateless buffalo

$370 CWR Dimes: 64-D

calishield and TexAg like this.
  19. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

About a dozen Wheats from 2 boxes this W/E (10 rolls left to search).

Interestingly, 9 - 10 Wheats were '44, '45, including this '44-S. Also, a bunch of '62's, + some keepers, a couple of other early '60's...

[​IMG]

*coins, Arby and ace71499 like this.
  20. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

We did this with last fall's book sale at my kids' elementary. My wife was the co-chair for the sale and they did a 'change' drive leading up to the sale. There were a ton of nickels and dimes. My wife and I rolled the dimes and we found two silver Roosies in about $130.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

6 boxes of halves today:
    1 lonely 64P Kennedy. My worst week this year. Hopefully Friday turns out better. On to my 5 boxes of cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted