Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Absolutely - Acetone. Get a FINE Model paintbrush from hobby store. It will cost a few $, but absolutely worth it.

Then, you needn't pour more than 1/10th of an ounce, into small glass. GOOD paintbrush will get 'corner jam' from tiniest recesses.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

With nothing better to do I got one of the Loomis rolls out.
    It is an entirely 2017D roll. And by the look of things the 19 other rolls are the same. Maybe not 17D but shiny new in any case. Probably will use them for the current box and keep a like number of the plastic wrapped rolls.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Finished the last box of cents for the week. Was pretty fun:
    1905 IHC (my 17th IHC find)
    18 Wheats (oldest 1916)
    1971S Proof (15th proof find)
    2 KG-VI Canadian cents and an earlier QE2 cent
    12APR 1905 IHC.jpg 12APR 1971S Proof LMC.jpg 12APR Canadian Cents.JPG

Arby, AllCoExpat, Christobal and 3 others like this.
  5. furryfrog02

So I dug the half out and gave it some rubbing alcohol treatment:

Before:
    1976D Half Dollar Struck Through Cloth Before.jpg
    After:
    1976D Half Dollar Struck Through Cloth After.jpg

6. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

CHARLES ROSENBAUM Active Member

BEEN TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING. GOOD LUCK

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Arby and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Ka-ching

Ka-ching New Member

After going inside a gas station to pay for my purchase I observed in open plain view 2 Ben Franklins in cash register drawer. I asked the young man about them and he said oh yeah we have a lot more of those. He then went to the other cash register and took out 4 more, one being a Walker. Then he showed me 15 Silver Dollars, 9 Morgan's & 6 Peace. Of course I asked him if I could purchase them and he said first he had to check with his manager who was off this day. But after about 15 minutes he was able to call the manger and low and behold she said sure I could buy them if I wanted to but no checks. "Sweet"!!!
    Come to find out that a very elderly gent has been coming to the gas station about once per month, getting fuel, pint of milk and tobacco, always paying in old coin or old currency! No one seems to know him or anything about him, where he lives etc. Drives a 1975 rusted out Nova car!
    I left my personal info with attendant and asked to please be called next time he comes to the gas station, day or night. Thus far I haven't heard a single word, but it's only been a week.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me..
    Cheers to all
    Ka-Ching

10. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Great story! Any pics of the lucky finds?

11. Ka-ching

Ka-ching New Member

Howdy, I'm brand new here on this here iPad and I'm just not to almighty certain how to put pictures on here yet. This old man isn't use to the technology we are using, lol
    But I'll get there. I absolutely enjoy this site and appreciate reading all from others.
    I want to find out who the elder gent is spending his old coins/currency. He needs to be informed of what he is doing and the money he is loosing. Could be the chap is a vulnerable adult and needs assistance from Social Services or the like. Certainly no law against him spending his money as he wishes but something doesn't add up here, IMO

berto, -jeffB and Ron Henry like this.
  12. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the kid didn't take them!! Awesome story!

13. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

20171014_153418.jpg 20171014_162432.jpg Did someone say red sharpie?!

Arby likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

Wow. Looks like you got someone's entire dump!
    I'd rather have a sharpie mark than a sticker. There was a guy a few years back who put stickers on his stuff and also spray painted them which apparently really screws up the coin counters when it starts to chip off (go figure).

15. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

I was going to mark coins cause I go to the same bank who use loomis coins and remember some one here said use different banks, so that what I do. noticed different money truck deliveries with different names and doing better. I am so glad I found youall. thanks

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

did I find a cud?

Attached Files:

17. furryfrog02

18. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

19. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Well-Known Member

For all that is Holy! Stop the madness of marking coins! Lol

In a side note, why are they marking unopened rolls. Seems strange

calishield likes this.
  20. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

He or she is weighing them and marking no silver there. That only works 50% of time friend! You're missing things when you do that. Come on people!

21. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

They were marked before being rolled. No ink on the papers. The coins laid out were just from a few rolls I opened. They were probably 10 coins in that box that weren't marked. Best explanation i see is that it keeps them from re checking the same coins for errors, IF it comes back to them. Had another box recently that had 75% of coins marked with a blue marker.

Draft saved Draft deleted