Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

is the 86-S a silver proof? it looks like it might be

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nope. Just a clad.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I didn't think he could pull a 65 in the Wild but I thought some of you guys could come up with a grade. Any idea of value?

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

in circulated grades...no clue

6. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

I’m with you @mikenoodle I was thinking it’s low to mid AU and worth somewhere in the $100 range raw (being generous). This is a nickel clad coin not silver so to much normal wear to call it MS. Look in red circle on Ike’s forehead, the dark gray streak is a dead giveaway for friction wear or rub.

The following was taken from an artical by By Peter Mosiondz, Jr. for CoinWeek

“Grading practices are based on common sense aided by experience. In many instances the difference between two grades can be a significant amount of your hard-earned money. This is especially true comparing the prices of About Uncirculated and Uncirculated (Mint State) coins.

Plainly stated, a coin is no longer Mint State if it displays any wear or rub.

It’s no secret that many coins having some degree of wear or rub look at first glance to be Mint State. We’ll briefly touch upon both wear and rub.

But how does one determine if the coin has wear? That’s easy: look at the high points. And what are the high points? The highest points of a coin are those areas that rise up more than the other areas of a coin. In the case of a portrait coin the highest points would be the hair, ear and cheek. Each coin is different though because of the differences in design.

It’s also important that you look for discoloration in the area of the high points. Each coinage metal changes in color a bit differently after experiencing wear, friction or rub. Here’s a handy chart to help you.

• The high points of copper coins turn a darkish brown.
    • The high points of nickel coins turn a dark gray.
    • The high points of silver coins turn dull gray.
    • The high points of gold coins turn dull or dark gold.
    Wear on the high points will almost always feature this discoloration. Additionally, mint luster will be interrupted on a coin that has wear, friction or rub. This is not the situation with Mint State coins. They will always feature uninterrupted mint luster.”

AC3FDFD0-7C50-45A4-A165-F32D0FE620C3.jpeg
    B8FB58C7-BF2E-465D-A018-FC13751F25EB.png

I know it’s not what you though but it is a nice gift horse from the bank don’t look it in the mouth. Lol.
    Reed

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    mikenoodle and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

That is a great explenation. I really appreciate it :)

8. 352sdeer

Good, it’s hard to know how someone is going to handle a different opinion. Thanks
    Reed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Very nice find @furryfrog02. I would love to find one in the wild in any condition.

As for yours, like @352sdeer stated $100 is being generous. A raw one in the condition your is in I would say more like $75. But, like my kids always tell me, I am a tight wad.:happy:

10. furryfrog02

Well I paid $1 for it so I'm happy :)
    I was just happy to find a few hole fillers and some upgrades. The Type 2 is just icing on the cake :) Now I have to figure out what to do with $395 worth of Ikes! haha

11. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Have you checked The Ike Group to see if you have any DIVA Ikes?
    http://www.ikegroup.info/

The Diva Attribution tab has a pull down menu...check em out.

12. 352sdeer

That’s one of those things with moving dead coins once you get them then what. I’m some what lucky in that if I deposit over $50.00 in coins it can be mixed.......but if it’s mixed they charge a fee and I’m not sure what it is now but last I knew from a couple of years ago it was 1.8% of the total because I’m not a merchant account. I just do Lincolns so it doesn’t pertain to me thank goodness..........but if I do have other denominations in my bag and I mark it as “Cents only” then any other coin is a reject and is not recoverable. I. E. They keep them. Wouldn’t want to toss any Ikes in the Cent bag.

BTW I never did say, congratulations on the new additions to your collection!
    Reed.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  13. furryfrog02

I will probably end up depositing them at a different branch who's manager and tellers are shall we say, less than polite... I don't have to pay any type of fees to deposit with them so it would just be a matter of hauling the coin in. I want to keep the tubes as well :p

Luckily my dump banks have coin machines in the lobby that are free to use. All the tellers know me and actually don't have problems when I come in. I help them move the heavy bags from the machine and lift them into the carts for them. I try to make my visit as little of a hassle as possible. I also bring chocolates on occasion :)

14. furryfrog02

I haven't checked those out yet. But I'm starting now :)
    I need to get through these and get the left overs deposited before next monday so I have the $$ for my normal boxes of halves and cents.

15. 352sdeer

You got it down Frog! Go Frog go....

16. furryfrog02

I've been doing the roll searching thing since fall of 2012. I've had time to see what works and what doesn't and have managed to refine my techniques :p You know you have a good pick up bank when the teller's call you to tell you they put aside things for you and you have a good dump bank when the teller's keep all the foreign stuff from the coin machine for you :)

dano likes this.
  17. 352sdeer

I just search bank re roll boxes of Lincolns so I never have a problem getting boxes or depositing bulk bags. I just wait my turn and am always polite. If they make me wait to pull a box or two I just politely sit and wait. I never have to wait more than five or so minutes. I love my bank as well but I think we are the exception. Lol.
    Reed.

18. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

I think the box of pennies I finished today was rolled in early 2015. Found a bunch of 2013 and 14 very nice and a few 15.

On the copper front: I sure was grading them different.
    Have pulled 6s from rolls marked 3. And even more from rolls marked 4. Plan to have nothing less than 4 when all done.
    It looked like the second bank in town was closed today.
    A little thing like freezing temperatures, sleet and snow can sure mess up this part of Texas!

19. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

I don't think they made a silver proof in 86?

20. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I think the coin would bring anywhere from $40-$70 on eBay. Very cool that you had one in that lot and for just $1 no less. Incredible. Congrats!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  21. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Funny, but I recently acquired $40 in Ikes from one of my local banks... the only circulation strike date and mint not included amongst the coins? The 1972 Philly. Oh well! About 15 of the coins were bicentennials, but every one of them was the common type 2 variety.

Draft saved Draft deleted