Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Bart w

Bart w New Member

Can I send s video?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

A picture is worth 1000 words.

4. Bart w

Bart w New Member

First time trying to send a video. Don' think it worked.

5. Bart w

Bart w New Member

6. Bart w

Bart w New Member

7. Bart w

Bart w New Member

Same coin different sides. You all like?

8. Bart w

Bart w New Member

Did pics post?

9. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

They did. Looks cool! Never tried posting a video as of yet myself. I've heard of magicians coins but not nickels I believe. Found in CRH?

10. calishield

I imagine video would have to be linked to YouTube or such to work

11. Bart w

Bart w New Member

What do you think of the different dates as well. This is no magicians coin!!

12. Bart w

Bart w New Member

I' sorry crh?

13. calishield

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

So, you think the mint minted it this way? Where they kept an obverse die from 1940 (instead of destroying all of them) and then paired it up with a new 1941 obverse die and struck one. Then 'ended production' of that one and let it go into circulation? Where it circulated with what looks to be enough times that someone should have noticed and pulled it before you found it.

If you can prove it is genuine, now that would be something.

15. Bart w

Bart w New Member

It' s not hollow. It sounds just like the rest.

16. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

On the 1941 side, around the rim you can see where they are fitted together with a seam.

John77 likes this.
  17. Kasia

Great. But not sounding hollow doesn't make it genuine.

18. Kasia

And yes, the area there looks so suspect, like someone dropped in a cut piece of a nickel on top of what would be the obverse of the 1940 nickel. Don't know if any of the obverse was first shaved or tooled away for it or if the 1941 piece is thin and just glued or cemented on top of the entire nickel.

19. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I've got 3 magician's nickels and they all share that feature.

calishield likes this.
  20. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

So yesterday was an interesting day for coin roll hunting. I open my register and there are 13 rolls of pennies in the drawer, 12 customer and one bank rolled. I opened the first roll to fill my dispenser and it is filled with nice looking older pennies. All were Lincoln Memorial type so I just filled them in the register. I opened the second roll and was surprised to see 45 wheat pennies. At that point I purchased all the remaining customer rolls and brought them home to go through. When I looked at the rolls I noticed some had writing on them like: 1950-57, 1960-63, 1960-64, 1960-67, from 1979 1930 1940 1950. I haven't opened those 5 rolls but the 5 unmarked rolls had just over 200 wheat pennies from 1916 to 1958. For penny collectors this was quite a find. My wife thought I was nuts while sorting through the pennies on the table. IMG_20180114_111256052.jpg IMG_20180114_111323585_TOP.jpg IMG_20180114_123158082_HDR.jpg

Later in the day I also found a 1943 war nickel and a 1946 dime, both in bank rolls.

With several rolls dedicated to the early 1960's I was curios if these are collectable as well?

I almost forgot, I also found a 1981 Proof Quarter in a bank roll
    IMG_20180114_130053348_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    AllCoExpat, berto, Mad Stax and 8 others like this.
  21. calishield

Congratulations on such a wonderful find! Everything came together. Check the Redbook for varieties from those years in the 60s and then take your time looking through them. I had a similar find ones with a lot of wheat pennies and still taking my time going through them

NickJersey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted