Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. gates

gates Member

Good call !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

$52 in nickels. 39,40,41,46,48,49,52,53d,54pd,55d,2-56d...31-64's(yahoo!)...for those who care 2-68s,69s,2-70s...2009p and no silver, no old buffalos, 1 Canadian. Only 4 bison coins - a very low total.
    I won't be buying a new car with the profit from these.
    Seriously, I get disappointed if 2 opened rolls 'in a row' lack any 1964 coins - happened once in this group.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  4. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

You should go back and read the first post, or what you will see on here as the OP (original post). It has a ton of info and will explain a lot. No book needed to get you up to speed, just start at the first post and you'll get a better grasp on terminology and the basics of CRH (coin roll hunting). As far as purchasing circulated coins you can go to any bank and ask to buy rolls of coins. If you as for customer wrapped rolls (CWR) that's where you'll find the good stuff. That is all covered in the OP as well. Don't feel overwhelmed, ask as many questions that you need to. We are all here to help each other (and show off our finds:)). Good luck and HH(happy hunting)!!!

gates and softmentor like this.
  5. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

CWR are often better than MWR. But I did manage to get both a dime and nickel fill from the MWR I got at BBVA Compass.
    And have two more nickel rolls to look at.

6. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Yes it is. It was my first silver quarter ever that I found in a fed roll.

gates likes this.
  7. moneycostingmemoney

8. davidharmier60firefox

20 bucks MWR dimes gave a few updates and a 1964D.
    These from our main bank where we have an account.
    8 bucks MWR nickels up next.

gates and Mad Stax like this.
  9. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Interesting. Note that all MWR don't come directly from the Federal Reserve. Loomis is a contractor and sorts and rolls coins as a contractor for member banks and provides cash management services. So when we say the rolls are rolled by the Fed, the Fed does not actually roll circulated coins. Loomis, Brinks, et al act as their agent and process coins locally. That's why you will see certain coins over and over again in your searches.

gates and moneycostingmemoney like this.
  10. moneycostingmemoney

Yessir. So when people think they are searching fed rolls they are actually searching coins that may have passed through the fed only once- after minting. My system around the problem you ended with is that I go to two major banks- one serviced by Loomis and one by NFString. It gives me better odds of not hitting the same coins even though that probability is slim. Chocolate also helps improve busy tellers memory and that helps me not get my rolls back from the same bank at a pickup. They also offer for me to go through any halves, deuces and they pick out choice fed straps for me. About to go through some rolls and straps- will post finds, if any, later. HH!!!

Bman33 likes this.
  11. davidharmier60firefox

8 bucks MWR nickels gave 1 1941P and these
    2017-06-06 17.07.51.jpg

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Please get a box of dimes. This is your second silver dime in what, 100 or so dollars of dimes. It sounds like your town might be loaded with silver!

jester3681 likes this.
  13. davidharmier60firefox

3 CWR dimes out of 6 gave a minor 68D update and moderate 70D and 80D updates. I have the boxes of the coins I'm working on close to hand. When I get something that MAY be better I can pull and compare. If the obverse is close the reverse might be the reason for update. I have at least one P or D of every date from 17 to 62 in dimes. It's rare as hens teeth to find anything under 64 in these rolls. I'm obviously not the only one looking!

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

$90.00 Loose halves at the bank. 1 40%er. The manager at this bank saves them for me. They usually have about $100-$150 loose halves a month for me. This was the first time I got something. I am pretty sure it was because the rim was black. Two things tipped me off. The teller that gave them to me had a stash of Ikes she accidentally pulled out. I asked if I could buy them and she said no, they are for me. They also told me that a gas station brings them in. So the silver is getting picked at the gas station as someone's dump or the teller collecting Ikes is sniping the silver halves too. Not sure which.

berto likes this.
  15. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Interesting! I'd go by the gas station regularly just to see what they have. I did that a couple weeks ago with bills, and the cashier said the night guy usually pulls out interesting ones. So you never know.

gates likes this.
  16. davidharmier60firefox

20170607_145335.jpg

Die crack or something else. Dragging my fingernail over it feels like it's raised....

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Those are clearly gouges into the face of the coin. Look at how the light falls on the left-facing side of the bust and the horizontal bar on the 7. Now look at the gouges. The right-hand side is brighter; that means it's a gouge into the surface of the coin.

Gouges into the surface push metal up on either side. That's what you're feeling as "raised".

PMD, I'm pretty sure.

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

100% PMD

19. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

I usually only look at penny rolls, but over the weekend I got a ten dollar roll of halves. Right on the end I got a 1967 double die obverse!

moneycostingmemoney and Bman33 like this.
  20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Picture?

gates likes this.
  21. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

I gave it to my nephew, (Well my brother so he could hold on to it) who is 6 and has a pretty cool Ikr collection. (I know, I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic)

Draft saved Draft deleted