Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

the mint had a program for a couple of years where they sold $1 coins at face to the public. Their idea was they wanted to get them into circulation. But people were buying them on credit cards to get points or air miles and then just depositing them at their bank, not circulating them. So the quit doing that. They were loosing money on the credit card fees they had to pay and it wasn't getting them into circulation.
    so, a couple of years are a little more common in circulation. the most recent years are not circulated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I recently found a '76s clad. I picked it out of the roll because of how shiny the clad edge was so I knew it wasn't silver. If I was home I'd get a picture of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It is not a proof. Sanfrancisco made two different kinds. One of them is a regular circulation strike on a 40 percent half planchet.

5. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Picked up 4 CWRs and $4.50 in loose halves tonight...1, '68 in MS (not from a SMS) condition in the loose, so I'm happy!

BMann, it sounds like you found a 40% silver business strike bicentennial. I've only found 1 in my 4 years of searching boxes, so congrats!

Bman33 likes this.
  6. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of both silver bicentennial halves in my dansco album so ya'll know what we're talking about.

Attached Files:

CoinZone and calishield like this.
  7. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Were these released into circulation, or were they "circulation strikes" like these newer S-mint quarters and post-2002 halves are? That is, struck on regular planchets but only sold to collectors.

8. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

image.png
    I believe these S mint Silver Coins were only sold in sets. One set was uncirculated Ike dollar, Bicentennial Half, and a Wash Quarter. All 40% Silver.
    Then another set was a Proof Set,, All silver. ?
    Then they produced S mint clad Half Dollars. I am unsure if they were part of a Set. Pretty strange line-up of coinage.
    I just saw somewhere on the web, that some S mint Bicentennial clad half dollars were also placed into 1975 Proof sets.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

large date

10. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Darn. Yesterday I did all my rolls. Need to exchange them. But the banks in our little town are Monday to Friday operations. And I can't afford to go to the City.

11. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Thank you!

12. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Small date 1960 D? IMG_0018.JPG

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Box of halves; 1 40%er

calishield likes this.
  14. davidharmier60firefox

Searched two rolls from before knowing what I do now.
    Only two 1982 one D one P. Both large date.
    I swear if I didn't have two small date I'd never believe they exist.

15. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

1493421182409.jpg
    a 1970s small date. Not to bad for searching 10,000 cents, lol

Attached Files:

16. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

They were "circulation strikes". Never intended for circulation. They also made some silver proof coins that year.

17. davidharmier60firefox

Man I got some MAJOR roll trading to do Monday.
    23 penny rolls, two nickel rolls and one dime roll.

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

All seven 1982 varieties are fairly common.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

2 boxes halves. Been a while, but finally got another walker. And 6 40% and a 1987.
    20170429_185824-1.jpg

20. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

21. davidharmier60firefox

Sometime after an hour and a half I'll have a serious bunch of pennies and nickels to search through.

Draft saved Draft deleted