Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I agree with Bman 33. Depending on the area it may have no silver in halfs. Where I live there is almost no silver and I have found pretty much nothing in the 60 or so boxes I have searched. Bmans area sounds like it is less searched then my area but it all depends on the area. I wish my area was better so I could be happy with my results. I would say no one would want to search in my area with the bad results. 15 or so 40%ers in 60 boxes just does not pan out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

NLL, I'm working on improving our tactics. There are a ton of banks and credit unions around us. Even though we are not members we can still try to get halves. Hopefully loose ones and CWR. My experience has been pretty positive with banks that I am not a member of. They usually look for them at least. There are ones out there that won't serve you if you are not a member but then just move on.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, guys it's Monday, a new Week. For all those that hunt Halves let's have a great one! I feel recharged after my hiatus and now I am putting in 110%. Going to join another bank to dump and get halves at. Can't decide which one. Anyways, let's charge on and may the Silver Gods be with us!

John77 likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Went to 11 banks searching for teller halves. about half of them didn't have any and the others gave me about 9 dollars worth. The last one I went to only had 2 halves. I said I would take them. One of them was a 68 40%er. I did get a full box which I will open tonight.

Mad Stax likes this.
  6. brandon08967

brandon08967 Young Collector

Just went through a box of nickels. No silver but there was a nice UNC 39P

Mickey in PDX, John77 and Christobal like this.
  7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm cursed with nickels, I've gone through a fair few rolls, found a couple 09Ps but nothing of note other than that

8. brandon08967

Well I didn't find silver for the longest time so I'd say don't give up! Then again I guess the only thing that kept me going for a while was the fact that I found 2 buffalo nickels in as many boxes.

John77 likes this.
  9. brandon08967

It could also be though that the bank you go to sorts silver out of their rolls as I'm pretty sure my bank does. If thats the case you just have to hope that you get lucky with some super worn war nickels

10. Mad Stax

Thanks for the encouraging words brandon, but surprise.... I finally found one! Got 10 Nickel and 10 penny rolls from the bank earlier.. Haven't checked them all yet, but the war nickel came out of a BWR, usually I end up getting Loomis, this time it was a mix...

0829162058~2.jpg
    45P

11. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I beat you by a year today - got a slider Unc 38 Philly! 38PnickelAU-2.jpg 38Pnickel-1.jpg !

12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

The key with nickels is "persistency" as I like to call it. There are highs and lows in them for sure... I usually get around 20 pre-60s per box... but I've had 40-50 roll batches produce as few as 5 pre-60s (today I found just 7 in 40 rolls), and I've also got that famous partial box from a week and a half ago (44 LOOMIS rolls) which produced 170 pre-60s including a 1938-D, and the sister LOOMIS box which gave up a CH AU 1939-D, and a 1938-S among 37 pre-60s the next day.

When I'm having a bad run, I usually like to change things up... I'll get more rolls from other branches, rather than just my main branch. It's rare when my nickel funk lasts more than a few days as I usually get MWRs from my banks. The CWRs where I live are generally lousy!

13. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Silver nickels are hard to sort out for machines though as they weigh the same as regular nickels. This is why you won't find them in Coinstar reject bins. The only way they can do this is if they manually sort them... I've had very good success with MWR of nickels, and not so good success with CWRs.

14. Mad Stax

Yeah it took a while to break the ice, sweet feeling... I'm gonna start getting equal amounts of cents and nickels CRHing, the nickel will go in my 20th century circulation find folder

John77 likes this.
  15. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Did a teller run yesterday. Results later., but posted this Kennedy on another thrread but has anyone else every seen "chocolate" toned Kennedys? Picture doesn't do it justice but it's milk chocolate toned. Question: I've seen others in my searches, but always dump them. Is the tone artificially done, what can turn the Nickel milk chocolate brown? Box runs today, four Loomis boxes to pick up. image.jpg image.jpg

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It has been heated up. I find darkened dimes in dime and cent rolls all the time.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actually the machine at one of my credit unions does kick out the silver war nickels - I know because somehow( a cardinal sin) I missed one in a roll search and it plonked into the reject slot.

18. Mad Stax

Crack a roll, fill a hole ;) 49 P D and S now in the books
    0830160828~2.jpg

19. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Interesting... what kind of machine (or what brand) is it? And yes, shame on you. LOL. You were saved!:angelic:

20. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Here are this weeks to date results: I have searched four Loomis boxes dated 6/3/16, Inspector #XXXX2 CWI #011 today. Same dated inspection as last week. I pick up boxes five thru eight tomorrow if they got ordered.

Teller tray finds: 1- Franklin '49, 1- Kennedy '64, 7- Kennedy '65-'69

Loomis Box 1: 5-Kennedy '64, 6- Kennedy '65-'69
    Loomis Box 2: 1- Franklin '52, 5- Kennedy '64, 17- Kennedy '65-'69
    Loomis Box 3: 1-Franklin '58, 6-Kennedy '64, 10-Kennedy '65-'69
    Loomis Box 4: 3-Kennedy '64, 2-Kennedy '67

Total: 23-90ers, 42-40ers

So here is my thoughts, this has been very unusual searches, at least not normal for a run now of eight boxes. It has been like hitting a silver vein of someone dumping grandpas collection because they did not know what was left to them. Box four had the fewest and wondering if I have run the vein. I'll find out tomorrow, but even if I have run through the vein, I've been blessed!

Tomorrow, if they were ordered, four more Loomis boxes, Friday, two boxes from Brinks

There were at least six Enders and a couple where there were multiple silvers in a roll.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mad Stax, Lon Chaney, NLL and 4 others like this.
  21. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

You're on a roll, Truble!

Draft saved Draft deleted