Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

A 2009-D dime in 6 rolls (4 CW, 2 MW)....

No silver or Buffs in 30 rolls of nickels today, but one of the CWRs had a 1941-S, and so did one of the MWRs. On the surface, not a big deal. But check out the photo and you'll see why I'm smiling ... :) 41slgssmsobv.jpg

Ron Henry and Christobal like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Let's see a picture of this haul!

4. Christobal

Nice find John! :)

John77 likes this.
  5. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Thanks... My coin dealer friend had encouraged me a few months ago to look through my 41-S's for the rarer Large S variety... so I finally did a few weeks ago... This one is #8 out of the 75 or so that I own. Interestingly, this is the 3rd one I've found in my 5 months of CRH...

CoinZone likes this.
  6. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

I will take some pics when I get home

7. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

From my search yesterday. The iPhone pic of the 1981 does not do the roll justice.

Attached Files:

8. Christobal

Wow that 2000-S is gorgeous! :)

To take a nice clear shot of a coin with your cellphone, brace your phone hand on something, so it doesn't move. Then increase the size by using 2 fingers on the screen (for example, for pennies, I use × 2.5 on my Samsung phone). Then when you are ready to take the photo, touch the screen on the center of the coin to sharpen the focus. Then snap the photo. If you hold the phone too close to a coin, the camera cannot focus properly. That's why I hold my phone back and use the zoom features.

It might take a bit of practice, but I've taken some very nice photos with other people's iPhones. You'll get it soon. :)

Great haul and welcome to CoinTalk!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    John77 likes this.
  9. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I wish my new phone had the "Sharpen the focus" feature.

10. Christobal

Hmm I would've thought all new smartphones had it. Even my old Droid 1.0 had it. Just open the camera app and touch the screen. Does a little bullseye show up? That is the auto focus override. You're essentially telling your phone "hey this is the important thing right here."

11. Christobal

Working my way through a tough one. Whole box of Cents, 99% of which are 2016. 22 rolls in and the oldest coin was a 1959.

Got so boring that I cracked another box and started alternating rolls. Want to just bring the boring box back to my bank but... that last roll is going to have a minty '09-S VDB... :)

Most rolls in the box look like this. Two or 3 coins prior to 2016. Gah!!!

20160727_161822.jpg

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

As painful as it is I have been in a similar situation. I always check and it has paid off. I have found a few wheats.

13. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

:(

14. Christobal

You're right! I'm 34 rolls in and did find 2 wheatbacks.

Best news is that one of them is a hole filler for me! 1948-S has elluded me for years and years...

Look at this sweet baby! :)

20160727_181304.jpg 20160727_181414_001.jpg

berto, John77 and Ron Henry like this.
  15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Just got a box. Not sure if I should be excited or sad because this might be someone's dump

Attached Files:

16. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

I hope not, but looks like it. I spoke to a teller today that I picked up $520 in halts. Was spooky until she gave me 20 US Mint rolls, 2001-2009 P and DS, I knew the rest should be good stuff since it was a good sign it was a collectors deposit. I'll post the goodies tomorrow. Anyway, typically at $500 the bank will return them for processing but she said they have to unwrap each roll and bag them. Too much work and they were hoping someone would buy them. So now I know why I find 2015 and 2016 it my box searches.

John77 likes this.
  17. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot the denomination! XD

It was a nickel. It unfortunately had a small PVC spot on the reverse, but it has a lot of eye appeal.

John77 likes this.
  18. Christobal

If you find some near uncirculated NIFCs, let me know. I'll pay you to mail me a few.

19. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I made it a nickel only day today... 30 rolls at one bank, 25 at another...the 55 rolls yielded 22 pre-60s and 6 2009-Ds... Only significant coin really was this 42-D. 42d5c.jpg

20. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Just polished off a box of pennies, 15 wheats total, and 4 hole fillers.... 27 28 37 and 54

21. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Here's some early pics of my fishin'

20- USMint rolls 2001-2009 P and D

3- 1973-S clad proofs
    12- 1976-S clad proofs
    2- 1978-S clad proofs
    1- 1979-S type I clad proof, s filled
    1- 1991-S clad proof

The 1979-S type I is the most unusual since I read somewhere that there was a die problem and this is the rarest.

Question to all: worth sending them in for grading? Never have done that, so not sure of the benefit. Anyone's thoughts?

Sorry I'm still messing with trying to take good pictures with my IPhone, wife says I should get a Samsung.

No silvers yet, show those if they show up

Attached Files:

AllCoExpat, Christobal and Lon Chaney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted