Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Finished up a few boxes of cents that have been sitting around. I'm pretty happy. Not much interesting in the way of wheaties. The normal stuff.. But I found these:

(Sorry for the crappy pictures!)

1983 Struck through late stage die cap. Was also pointed out on another forum that it may be DDO 003 (notice the die chip in the 8)
    1983 LMC Struck through late stage die cap Poss DDR 003.jpg

The box I just finished had a 1972 DDO 007 AND a 1995 DDO 001.

This is my 7th 1972 DDO 007. It's not the prettiest but I'll take it :)
    1972 DDO 007 22May16.jpg Doubling 1972 DDO 007 22May16.jpg

My 5th 1995 DDO. This is the first one I have found since like December 2014. Not as nice as @Seattlite86's most recent pick up. But for 1c I won't complain :)
    1995 DDO 001 22May16.jpg Doubling 1995 DDO 22May16.jpg

Patrick M, Christobal and Bman33 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

Nice! Its a lot more work to catch those. Great finds!
    I'm luck if I even find a Phily mint cent on the west coast, much less a DDO

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    2 64's from $84 that my bank saved for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Grabbed a bunch of random rolls today at the bank. $20 quarters & $5 dimes - nothing.

$10 nickels - 1923! My first readable date Buffalo in 2 years of doing this. Also some common older Jeffersons - 1946, 1949, 1952, 1957-D, 1958-D. Also, I don't search too hard for errors, but I found a 2006-P whose motto reads "In God We Tru..."... yo can see the whole thing faintly, but the last 3 letters are very poorly struck. Anything special there?

$5 pennies - 1917, 1918, 1950-D, 1953-D, 1957-D. 5 Canadians (oldest 1962). 2 2009's

Also, I got 2 cents in change while buying a burrito the other day - one of them being the nicest looking 1970-S I've ever laid eyes on.

Attached Files:

6. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Congrats on finally finding a Buffalo with a date! :)

That '06 looks like post mint damage to me.

Would love to see your '17 & '18 Cents. :)

7. theshoegazer

They're both about G-4 or G-6. 1917 was a hole filler and 1918 was an upgrade. I have an early Lincolns book from when I was a kid at my parents house, but this one is just for circulation finds. I did cheat and bought a low-grade 1922-D at a coin show though, since it's unlikely I'll find that one in the wild.

Christobal likes this.
  8. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Hole filler! :)

Funny you should say that. Dad sent me photos of a 1922-D that he found on like Friday. Rashed yes, but found coin roll hunting!

IMG_2341.jpg IMG_2342.jpg

rooman9 likes this.
  9. CTRollHunter

CTRollHunter Well-Known Member

My day went from "good", to "great", to "too bad", to "OMG!" Second best day ever....

I stopped at 3 banks today. The first bank had only two halves, but one was a 1964. I thought that was good. The next bank had a 1968-D Kennedy and a 1963 Walker. Wow! That's great.

My luck looked ever better at the third bank. I asked the teller for halves and as I asked I noticed she had about $15 worth in her tray. And the top 5 or 6 were clearly silver. So I said "Oh, I see you have some in your tray. I'll take all those." To which she replied "I'm saving the ones on top for someone else...he comes here all the time." "Too bad." I thought.

Then things turned around. She told me I could have two of the silver ones and one was another Franklin. Any two Franklin day is a good day. At this point, the second teller said she had four ROLLS. I told her I would take all four. Hearing this, the first teller asked me "Do you want rolls? I have nine more rolls." Now that's more like it! I took all nine. Up pipes a third teller with three more rolls and I leave the bank with 15 rolls plus two silvers.

I get to the car. The first roll says "All 1966." Now that's a good sign! I check it and sure enough, all 1966! The next roll, says "1964 Kennedy." More or less another good sign. And it checks out...all 1964! I wont bore you with the rest of the details but the first four rolls were almost all silver or part silver. The next nine were 15 or 16 in each roll except for one roll with only a single clad. The last three rolls were clearly different but still yielded 22 part silver halves.

The totals:

6 Franklins, several nearly Unc
    67 1964 Kennedy halves
    17 1965 Kennedy halves
    72 1966 Kennedy halves
    14 1967 Kennedy halves
    33 1968-D Kennedy halves
    33 1969-D Kennedy halves

That's 73 90%ers and 169 40%ers = 242 silver coins in one day! 50.4 ounces!

All but three from one bank!

A monster box is 100 silvers in a box. This is almost 2.5 monster boxes in one day!

Here is the obligatory picture:

2016-05-24 copy.jpg

Happy Hunting!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    NLL, berto, AllCoExpat and 11 others like this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's incredible CT. Congrats! I couldn't find a CWR in my city if my life depended on it. I'm traveling through some small towns in two weeks. Hopefully I can find some then.

11. CTRollHunter

I am "halving" good luck this year. Actually, the last three days I looked I found almost nothing, most banks didn't even have a half...but then this. The second most silver I have found in one day.

12. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

$25 small dollars - 1 2015-P Eisenhower NIFC

Christobal likes this.
  13. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Amazing!!

lincoln likes this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

2nd most?

what the heck was the most?

rooman9 likes this.
  15. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
    Wooo Hooooo! way past nice!
    Congrats!

16. theshoegazer

This'll seem underwhelming today, but today's hunt:

Bank 1: $6.50 halves, skunk
    Banks 2 & 3: nothing
    Bank 4: $20 CWR - 1965

I had a jackpot like the one above in early 2015 - I hadn't been doing this long at that point, and figured it was easy.

17. CTRollHunter

My Avatar. 335 Walkers and Bens plus 25 or so silver Kennedy halves, all from one bank in New Jersey. 7/20/2012

2012-07-20Halves.jpg

NLL, AllCoExpat, Dans Coins and 3 others like this.
  18. theshoegazer

Wow. All in rolls, or loose? Did a friendly teller hook you up with these, or did you just pop in and ask at the right time?

My big score in early 2015 was $250 worth - out of that were approx 65 90%ers and over 200 40%ers.

19. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

You know i live in new Jersey, so I feel entitled to some of those halves...
    Haha just kidding. Great find by the way, even so long ago. I'm sure you itching for the next time you will find a big score like that again.

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Box of halves...skunk. Man this is painful. That's 7 in a row.

21. Strozzie

Strozzie New Member

A week-ish ago, I found an El_Yunque-D and an Acadia-D (yes, AtB quarters) while cycling coins through my school's snack machine. As I live in the middle of nowhere, though on the Eastern USA, nearly all of our coins tend to be Philly-mint. So that all was a pleasant surprise :)

Also bought two pounds of wheat cents to fill a new coin folder (about 300 coins), all of which arrived today via mail. Among my finds were a red-tinted (but dirty) 1926P, a 1909P (no VDB), and two 1919P 's. So close to striking rich, yet still so far! Once I finish recording and organizing my finds in Excel, I'll make a larger post on whether buying by the pound from a specific vendor is worthwhile or not.

-jeffB and CoinZone like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted