Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Normal three boxes of Loomis halves. One half which I can honestly call impaired, one ender (1965), and a couple other odd ones...see pictures. I may have mucked up the pics, clarification later.
    20160209_191310.jpg 20160209_184402.jpg

AllCoExpat, rww67 and heuvy31 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

A couple odd halves. Not much rim on one, a couple of mashed 8's on the other. The 8's look a little flatter than most.

Attached Files:

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Nothing like sweet temptation residing on the end of the roll.

5. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Gotcha. That has happened to me as well. A few times, I would get sealed boxes of halfs that were all CWR. (Not re-wraps, but straight up manilla wrappers)

6. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Ff02, you can buy ASEs with walking Liberty on them...truly beautiful coins and an excellent way to diversify your assets :)

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a full set already plus some for my kids. I prefer the half, especially the eagle, to the ASE. Plus I like that those halves used to circulate in normal every day transactions, unlike ASEs.

berto and bugo like this.
  8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I prefer the walking Liberty design on a smaller coin. Besides I like the reverse way better. The ASE reverse is attractive, but is too modern looking in contrast to the classic obverse. I would like to have an ASE proof, however.

furryfrog02 and berto like this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

1/2 box of BWR Dimes, nothing. Last dime box gave me 5 Roosies. Hopefully things will pick up. I tried a different bank with a different demographic that I thought would yield older change.

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Your post made me start thinking. I wonder if a Coinstar machine in a rich neighborhood would produce fewer or more interesting coins than a store in a poor neighborhood. What about big city vs small town? Upper middle class vs lower middle class? College town vs military town? Different regions and states?

The store I go to is in a partially upper middle class and partially wealthy neighborhood in a medium sized city in the midwestern US. It is an especially clean and shiny version of this particular grocery store brand. I visit this Coinstar maybe 3-4 times a week and I've been checking it out for about 2 1/2 years. I've found some interesting coins in and under it. I've been having particularly good luck lately finding silver in the reject slot of this machine. I wonder how many I would have found had the machine had been in another city in another state.

Bman33 and heuvy31 like this.
  11. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Yes, I think it is a combination of that and the number of roll hunters/collectors in area. Last fall I was in an affluent area of NJ for a few days. I went into some branches of banks I belong to and asked for a box of coins (I did cents and dimes at these locations). They were happy to get them for me, and were curious why I wanted them. I told them I collect coins and at each branch they acted like they had never heard of someone doing this before. I got 42 wheats in one box and 35 in the other (my two best boxes ever). With dimes I got 5 silvers in one and 4 in the other (my two best boxes of dimes as well). So I think it's a matter of what coins are circulating in that specific area, where the banks get the coins from, and how many roll hunters are in the area. Oh and a lot of luck of course.

Bman33 likes this.
  12. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

$5 CWR pennies - 1944, 2009

$10 BWR nickels - 1939, 1940, 1941 (x2), 1 dateless buffalo that looks like it's spent some time outside, underwater, underground, etc

Ron Henry and heuvy31 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

4 boxes of halves yesterday started out pretty good.
    Box 1 - 6x40%ers, 2015P NIFC, 1997S Proof (hole filler for my Grandpa's book), 1974P Toner that my picture doesn't do justice to.
    Box 2 - 2x40%ers
    Box 3 & 4 - Skunked. Boo!!!!!!!

11FEB16 Silver Halves.JPG 1974P Toned Half.JPG 2015P Half.jpg

14. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

After a series of posts about rewrapped rolls, I began to get suspicious about the several BWR boxes I've searched recently with no success. And sure enough, the two boxes I picked up today were beat up and retaped as if they had been opened and resealed. And all the rolls were loose on one end, but tightly wrapped at the other. The first box yielded only 3 NIFC. I WAS SURE I'D BEEN CHEATED!

But the second box confirmed the truth: nobody but a blind searched had opened these boxes. Final count wasn't my best by far, but I realized I was just being overly suspicious: 1-90% (1964); two clad proofs (1982-S, 1987-S); 5- NIFC. So I'll keep searching!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Christobal likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I live in a large city where my bank has branches all over the place. There is a diverse demographic just driving up one street for ten miles. 5 banks in that drive. There is only one that has halves and out of 4 boxes got nothing. In fact I think there is another coin roll hunter that goes to that particular bank. The halves have marks on them and one even had a derogatory comment written on it. I've only been doing this for a month and I will continue to go to other banks throughout the city and chart my results. Just got another box of dimes and another box of halves to keep me busy for the weekend.

Do you think there are more roll hunters in certain demographics or is it random?

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's bizarre. That has rewraps written all over it.
    Maybe they dropped them at the bank?

17. furryfrog02

I've had lots of boxes that came directly from Loomis that had one end crimped and one end wrapped like a CWR. I think your idea of being dropped, perhaps by the armored car company, is valid.

18. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Well they are heavy. Maybe the drivers are careless handling them. I don't know. Just keep searching, they're out there!

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I like the 68' thought it could have been the 74'
    Nice!

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This week's haul. 2 boxes.
    20160212_210713-1.jpg

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

1 Box of BWR dimes: Two Roosies

heuvy31 likes this.