Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I got a Buffalo out of the nickels! (AND... a lesson in TAKING YOUR TIME!!!)

I had 40 back in a roll, ready to seal the end. I looked at the one in the other end, and it wasn't a Jefferson. ??? I dumped them all out to see how I had missed it. Yup - I sure had................

It's a '29, I think. Also a '39, 3 x '41's. Also a Singapore .20!

And as of about 1:14 AM DST, I think I'm the first person to see all 1 Billion '64's :dead:

Ron Henry and Dougmeister like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Method2406

Method2406 New Member

Any idea how this got in a bank roll?

4. nuMRmatist

This one (it's a P) came from a roll, along with 4 x '41-P's in EQUALLY good condition a few years ago. Is it a 62? 65? Is it worth grading, being a common?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    NOS and Christobal like this.
  5. nuMRmatist

These are the '41's ; 3 are 'D's. Came from one roll a few years ago.

First thought was Chinese...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Naplesjack, Miketexas and Christobal like this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have found BU examples of war nickels, and even 1939s so they do happen. Frankly you have to understand that a lot of people don't look at let alone care about old coins. I have bought Franklin halves out of cash registers and the cashier asked me why I would want those "dirty old coins". I don't bother to try to edumacate the unknowing, that is not my job. My job is to provide a loving and longlasting home for elderly coins.

Endeavor, BATTERup646 and berto like this.
  7. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

Coins that are called NIFC, or "not intended for circulation," are coins that are legal tender. They are "regular" dollars, half dollars, quarters, dimes, nickles and cents that are only issued in proof sets, mint sets, and other special sales from the mint, however there were none distributed for common circulation. They are coins that can still be spent as any other of the same denomination.
    Red Book uses a similar phrase "not issued for circulation" in their list. For instance, if you look up JKF half dollars, you will see a footnote for 1987, and then 2002 and forward to date that says this. They are regular half dollars, and can be spent as any 50 cent piece. But there were no business strikes, only uncirculated and proof strikes made.

8. Method2406

Method2406 New Member

Hello everyone found this 1998 wide today during my searches. Was trying to get confirmation, and any knowledge about this error coin such as rarity, valve, grading from picture. IMG_0003_NEW.jpg

Attached Files:

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Can you get a bigger picture of the reverse? I'm having a hard time seeing the spacing between the A and M.

10. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

Opened a roll of nickels 1918,1918s,1919d,1920,1923s,1924s,1925,1925d,1925s,1928s and some 35's and 36's and Jefferson nickels: 1938 ,1938s ,1939d

11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

In ONE ROLL? Wow. That must've been epic.

12. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

Yeah it was. My grandfather saved it from circulation I assume 70 years ago as, the newest one was a 1945

13. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

What? I want a pikachu quarter. :(

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Got two boxes of nickels today after work, searched the first and churned out the following:

1 1939
    1 1940-S
    1 1944-P Silver
    1 1945-D Silver - I like finding D mm war babies
    13 other 40s dates.

[​IMG]

My little helper must have given me good luck, this is Tyeni, he just turned 6 months old. He and his twin brother Lyosha like to lie around and play with coins, take off and bat around coin wrappers, get into bags and otherwise be complete little PITA's.

Christobal and BATTERup646 like this.
  15. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Two boxes halves: 134-NIFC (02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 09, and 12), three proofs (73, 99, and 03). Now have to decide if I keep the NIFCs; already have about $100 set back, but these are in nice condition.

Christobal likes this.
  16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One box of BWR cents:

2 1914 cents - in the same box!
    9 40s and 50s
    7 68-74 S mints

This time the other cat was my resident "helper", has made one heck of a mess of the discarded coin wrappers.

Christobal likes this.
  17. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

How easy are buffalo nickels, saying, if i get a box, how many should i get?
    Oh yeah, i busted open four penny rolls. No luck. :( But i replaced my 1965, for a better condition.

18. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

My normal two boxes of Loomis halves were not normal.
    Box 1: 7 40%, 1 90% Kennedy, 1 1960 Franklin, 1 proof, 2 NIFC.
    Box 2: 2 40%, three proofs, and a 1936 Great Lakes Exposition token. It looks like it is made of pewter. 20151006_185544.jpg 20151006_195020.jpg

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I was averaging 1 per every $200-$400 searched when I did nickels. Results may vary.

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Really hit or miss, I'd say I average about 1 per $200 searched, but I have found as many as 13 in a box. I average about 1 war nickel a box, but have found as many as 7 in a box. Sometimes you hit little jackpots and that is what keeps the gambling going - it becomes addictive.

Searched my second box of nickels last night and churned out the following:
    1 1939
    4 40s S mints
    13 other 40s dates

21. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

Depends if you count dateless buffalos in there, I find those pretty often but dont find clear date ones very often but they are out there, ive found and AU 1913 type 2 before so you never know what you will find.

Draft saved Draft deleted