Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

2009? Yea I do too. Probably not going to fully fund your college tuition but I still do. Mintage is low but then LOTS will be unc. because lots have been pulled. so, not likely to be a HUGE deal. Still, a keeper for me.

Lisa1980 and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Low mintage? I guess it's low compared to other annual cent mintages, but still seems high across all denominations. As you said though, the bigger factor will be the large amount of uncirculated specimens.

ThinnPikkins likes this.
  4. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, when did silver coins in circulation become rare? I first collected in the mid-80s and I NEVER saw silver in circulation then. Even wheaties were pretty rare - I almost feel like I see more wheats now than I did when I was a kid. My dad worked in a bank and occasionally would bring one or two home, but that's it.

5. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

'64 .10 last night, helping the neighbor roll a bucket of coins.

That joy lasted all of a few minutes...

Endeavor, ThinnPikkins and Christobal like this.
  6. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Your experience mirrors mine. When I first started collecting in the 80's, there were no silver, no buffalos, few wheats.

I think everyone sold their silvers back to the govnt. Silver was easy to see and prices on the metal were high. The coins we're seeing now are from Gramp's old jar/drawer/collection, etc.

ThinnPikkins likes this.
  7. Christobal

I'm gathering them for my heirs. :)

Seriously, all of my coins are circulated. I'm less interested in values, more interested in finding the tough to finds.

Endeavor and ThinnPikkins like this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not from Denver

9. Treashunt

Silver disappeared virtually over night about 1978, I worked as a teller until about '75 and silver was plentiful.

never happened, the government never bought back silver, you could sell it for a small % over face for years, it was usually about 5%.

The silver went nuts.

10. Endeavor

Interesting. I never knew that but always wondered at what point did silver become hard to find. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Did the timing coincide with the Hunt brothers trying to corner the market?

11. Treashunt

shortly before, about a year or so before

Endeavor likes this.
  12. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Back around 1999/2000 I would play poker on Sunday nights. I would stop at the bank and get a roll of halves to use in the game. I would always find one or two 40%, but back then I wasn't really saving silver, so I would sell them to another player at face value. Now it's hard to even get a roll of halves at my bank.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Similar story. I started getting a roll of halves every week in 2006 - 2007, and I almost always found at least one 40%, but sometimes i spent the worn out ones because i was 8 years old and needed money for candy.

14. Christobal

Hmm. I know the word went out to sell silver coins for profit. My dad was pretty unhappy when my grandpa cashed in most of his old silver quarters and dimes in or around 1982 (a LOT of coins). I remember discussion about it after the fact. But it's true that grandpa sold his coins to a dealer of some kind.

Come to think of it, grandpa got his 16' fishing boat in 1984. Perhaps that's where his coin money went. :)

I own that boat now (just got it this summer). So in a way, the coin money did get passed down to me!

NOS and Endeavor like this.
  15. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Two boxes of quarters: 1 1944-D silver quarter pretty beat up.
    Several Blue Ridge die breaks, a few Kisatchie die breaks, a few Homestead die breaks and a little stash of Homestead DDRs that I have to do more checking on tomorrow to see if they are unlisted by Wexler.

16. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Found my 3rd V nickel in less than a week in a Loomis roll. Went through 2 nickel boxes to get them. Also picked up another silver and a 1964 proof. Lots of other pre-60 nickels too.
    uploadfromtaptalk1441330957239.jpg

17. Christobal

Wow that's lucky!! What mint mark is on that 42? I only ask because 1942-S has been particularly ellusivefor me. :)

Endeavor likes this.
  18. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

P. I rarely find any 1942's. Usually the other dates.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. Treashunt

Probably not a proof

20. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Went to about 10 banks looking for halves, $2's, anything weird and only came away with a few clad halves.

One teller said "I have one, but I doubt you'll want it". Usually when they say that, it means I definitely want it. Turns out, the one coin is both a NIFC and a curiosity.

http://imgur.com/RcuBQ4k

Christobal likes this.
  21. Endeavor

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted