Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

$10 nickels - 1939, 1941, 1946 (x2), 1957-D, 1959-D

$10 dimes - solid 2015-P

$3 loose halves - 1 NIFC (2007-D)

Christobal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

generally these are bags that come off of coin counting machines. A lot of banks that have coin counting machines will not let you buy the bags off of the machines, but a few will. You will also get guitar picks, play money tokes from games and all kinds of worthless trash. You never know what will be in one.
    But just ask the Head Teller. Ask nice, you may get lucky.
    In my opinion, though, I don't think bags are better than boxes. The bags as sent to the Federal Reserve or the transportation company and counted and rolled into boxes. So you are getting the same coins really, and with boxes you are getting a better, honest count. (Yes boxes can be off sometimes but as a rule not near as bad as bags.)

Naplesjack likes this.
  4. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

Softmentor said it pretty well, I have found 8 banks in town that let me buy the bags off of them, generally $200 in nickels and $1000 in dimes, quartars and halfs. I just can get bags for no extra charge and do them, ive never found a bank that will order boxes without a fee. The benefit of bags is that if someone takes a jar of old change in you can get all denominations from it, one bank had a jar taken in with 182 silver dimes that bridged 2 bags, and 45 silver quartars and 500+ wheats and 42 silver nickels in the batch, with boxes you would only ever hope to get one of them, and I can get 5-8 bags or nickels and dimes between the banks I use so it just gives me a large amount of volume to go though, never had a dud bag of dimes and only ever had a handful of dud bags of nickels, you dont find as much odd stuff in the bags as you think and they even themselves out, you find pennies in the nickels sometimes but also quartars.

5. Garrett Haag

You just have to know if a coin collector or a vending machine company uses that bank to dump at, normally smaller banks are your best bet to ask, if they roll their own coins and have extra they need to get rid of from time to time, some are happy to sell you them, I have talked to over 50 banks about buying bags, and it normally does take a long time to get a bank to agree to sell you the bags, since last September I have went through 184 bags to date totaling a little over a million coins.

berto likes this.
  6. The Banker

The Banker New Member

I work at a bank and just bought a semi full bag of halve dollars yesterday. I went through them last night found 1963 Franklin and 1965 Kennedy. Turned the coins back in this morning and the total came out to a dollar more than I paid for it. So basically I got a dollar for free and two coins for free. Best outcome I could ask for!

Christobal and ace71499 like this.
  7. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

Getting a sack of coins is like getting CWRs. Whatever someone was saving, all together in a sack. Wish I had access to them.

8. The Banker

The Banker New Member

It does seem like there are less and less silver in coin machine bags

9. Garrett Haag

I find about the same on average, normally for dimes in the 3-9 range for silver and for nickels 1-3 range for bags, its rare to go outside of that range for me.

The Banker likes this.
  10. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Two boxes halves: 9-40%, 11-NIFC.

Christobal and ace71499 like this.
  11. girldly

girldly Girldly

I searched 3 rolls of quarters and found one 1964 quarter last week. I was thrilled.
    Then I searched 10 rolls of pennies, and found several pennies pre 1982, but no Wheaties.
    I enjoy my search, now, every store, bank, gas station, etc., I ask for the "dark" pennies back, I always use cash to get change back, and I always ask if anyone has a roll to sell...I just love collecting.

12. girldly

girldly Girldly

Lucky you! You are working at a great place for coin collecting. Keep it up! Girldly

13. Naplesjack

Naplesjack Member

Thanks for the insight.

14. lucky43113

lucky43113 Active Member

my local bank sorts out the silver in there coin counting machine the bank pres is a coin collector

15. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Two boxes halves: no silver :bigtears:, 8-NIFC.

BUT.....I think I got part of someone's clad proof set. 27-clad proofs, including 74-2, 76, 77, 78, 79, 86, 92, 93, 94, 98, 00, 01-2, 02, 03-2, 04-4, 05-2, 06, 07, 12, 13. Beginning of a nice set!

Christobal, berto and ace71499 like this.
  16. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Wow that's pretty exciting. I wouldn't even care if there were no silvers

17. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

like ditto the WOW comment. Very nice

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed, amazing.

19. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Nice proof Kennedys!

20. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Two boxes of halves ...result dismal. Only keeper---1-1987-D.

21. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Poor 1987 mint set... :depressed:

Draft saved Draft deleted