Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

My bank only accepts rolled coins. They work on the honor system. No coin machines.

Yeah I've been shorted a LOT (plus foreign coins). But I never complain to the tellers. They are always willing to swap boxes and to order more for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. You know you have a good penny box when there is a 1930 something wheat ender

Christobal likes this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I used to take what at times would be heavy losses with getting shorted in customer rolls but I developed a way to always get ahead or at least break even with them. I go through and empty one roll at a time and when I'm done with the coins from that roll I will count them back up. If it's short I roll them back up as I received them and if it's over I will hold back the difference. If I went through a lot of rolls this would likely be a difficult method but I'm a low volume searcher so this works well for me.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Christobal

I generally return coins in boxes, even CWR, so I never short a roll. Also I pull out the foreign coins. Like to stay on my bank's good side.

Having said that, I now check CWR dollar rolls in the bank, before I leave the teller, and weed out the Canadian bucks. And if I ever get another CWR in halves, I'll count that sucker. Those always seem to be a coin short.

6. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

$10 in loose halves got me 4 1966 40%ers. A teller that knows I collect was in my business and told me to come by as she had some halves.

berto and Christobal like this.
  7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Not a roll but I got all $9 in halves that two tellers had in one of my banks. Out of 18 coins there was one 40% ('67).

berto likes this.
  8. Christobal

Went through a BWR box of Loomis nickels yeterday. Decent numbers, but quality was low.

Found 17 1940's coins. 3 were silver (1943-P, 1945-P, 1945-S). Other interesting coins included (2) 1941-S (both small S coins), 1954-S, 3 Bahamas nickels, 2 20 cent Pence, and 4 Canadian nickels. One of the Canadian nickels was from 1935! None of the US coins will upgrade my primary book. Will have to check a few against my 2nds.

Finding the 1935 Canadian with George on the face was pretty sweet.

IMG_20150727_203408.jpg IMG_20150727_204705.jpg IMG_20150727_204723.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    NOS, berto and Ron Henry like this.
  9. JMiller

JMiller Member

Just found a2000 wide am now I have all 3 yrs woohoo

Dougmeister likes this.
  10. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Halves today: 50$ in rolls; 4 40%. 7.50$ loose; 8 proofs (1979-1986) and 2 well colorized 1976 Bicentennials.

Christobal likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Pretty good

12. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

Good bag of nickels today, 6 silver (1943-P was unc) 1 dateless buffalo, 1949 and 1952-d gem BU, and 23 other pre 1956 nickels, hopping there is a bag of dimes that goes with them.

NOS and Christobal like this.
  13. Christobal

You've lost me. What kind of coin is this???

I am still learning the slang around here.

14. Christobal

Wow you are SO lucky Garrett having access to those coin counter sacks!!!

I've never found more than 3 silver nickels in a box. ONE time I found a buffalo and 2 silvers and that was a great box.

15. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

NOS and Christobal like this.
  16. Christobal

17. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

Most I have ever gotten was 44 silver nickels, had 42 earlier this year, it is nice when you can get the matching bags also, my average is a little over 1 per bag, its very rare to have a bag without any silver nickels, just 1 in the past 40 bags i got did not have any silver nickels on it, I had my first silverless bag last week, had gone 3 months without a dud.

Naplesjack and NOS like this.
  18. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Two Loomis box halves---1st box...7-40% and a Franklin 1952-P. 2nd box, nothing worth keeping, although I found an extra half dollar nestled sideways between the rolls, so I made .50 on that box.
    Box of pennies...very few pre-1982, no wheats.
    Box of nickels...28 pre-1960, no war, no buffs.
    Went to my second bank for my other box of halves...they forgot to order it.Vault teller was apologetic, she had been on vacation and the order had slipped through the cracks.

Ron Henry likes this.
  19. Christobal

Just finished looking through an outstanding box of BWR pennies. I was flabbergasted from roll 1, which had two wheats and a full mint luster 1966. This box must have been mostly someone's old jars of coins, as there were craptons of very nice 70s and 80s coins. Not all perfect, just really nice compared to what I usually see.

Anyway long story short, I found a handful of coins that will upgrade my book, or my nephews books.

Most of the wheatbacks were in average condition. There were 34 of them. 34!!! Like I said, outstanding box. The oldest coin was a well worn 1923.

Here's my favorite coin. The best wheatie I've ever found!

IMG_20150729_162501.jpg IMG_20150729_162519.jpg

NOS and Ron Henry like this.
  20. Naplesjack

Naplesjack Member

Pardon my lack of info,but how do you obtain a "bag" of say nickels; and how many nickels in a bag. Chase obtains boxes of coin in any denomination for me ( and are pleased to service their customer) upon request, but a "bag" never came up in conversation. Enlighten me O successful roll hunters!!!!!

21. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Yesterday i went through $250 in dimes (they didnt have a box, but they had a fedex bag and $250 in rolls)
    1954 S Dime
    2 2009
    2 1970 D Rev of '68
    1 1970 Rev of '68

Draft saved Draft deleted