Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. berto

berto Well-Known Member

It is highly unlikely a contractor (armored car service) to The Fed would pull silver coins from the coins they happen to be delivering. It is likely bank tellers are removing the silver coins before the armored car service receives them to reroll them and deliver them elsewhere. My grandmother was a bank teller for 27 years beginning in the 70's. She, like many others, pulled a remarkable amount of silver during her career. This is common even today.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

totally counts as CRH even if it isn't rolls.
    nice find!

4. softmentor

I don't think so since my pick up bank uses brinks and I still find some silver. Not a lot, but then I would not expect a lot.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. softmentor

I think we are re- searching these halves an awful lot. My last batch I notice a LOT of coins with rolling machine marks. the round grooves near the edge of the coin. Some even had the marks on both sides! These marks can only be made on one coin out of a roll at a time, or at most 2, one on each end. Also, a lot of rolls do not have a mark on either end, so not all rolls get these scratch marks.
    so pretty much every roll I search now has at least one marked coin and I have seen as many as 8 in one roll.
    These coins are going to be worn out not by pocket circulation but by CRH'ers circulation!

6. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

That's a problem!!! Have you tried going to a different bank or something. Lol its not very productive to search the same coins you dump!

7. softmentor

yes of course, I pick up at one bank and deposit at a different one. I also make sure my pick up and deposit banks use different transportation carriers.
    you just have to home that some new coins (re: ones you want) get mixed it with each cycle. A few do, that's why we keep doing it, but some of these coins are really making the circle a LOT of times : ) as evidenced by the multiple rolling machine damaged coins

8. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

One of the tellers in my local bank takes all rare coins and bills before the public gets a shot at them. He told me I will never find half dollars or eisenhauers in his bank. Ass.

I ordered a whole box of halves a while back. Fully half of the box were 71s or 76s that were so worn they were illegible. No silver. Not even a single rare coin.

But... I keep looking. I think I may order my next box of halves at a branch office in another state.

9. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

It's ok man keep looking! I've had those days where I'm like, is this worth it? One day you'll find something amazing! I would stop going to that bank if i were you @Christobal

Christobal likes this.
  10. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I had a good box of halves yesterday, got 8 40% and 1 Franklin in a box, and in second box I got a clad proof, Got $214 in halfs from one of the banks also while I was at it and got 2 40% and a walking liberty. Not bad for one day of halves. Halves really are not my main thing, but I am trying to find a bank that will let me order more without changing a fee per box.

tomfiggy, Christobal and Ron Henry like this.
  11. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

12. softmentor

2400 in halves. 3 40%, 2 proofs, 1987, 9 other NIFC, 2 gold plated (why do they do that) pretty slim pickin's. Sometimes it is just a grind.

13. So a year or two ago I got a haul of a bunch of BU cents which I just put into full rolls and a big box, I didn't search through them for errors.
    Now that I had some time to search through them I think I found a 1970 S small date penny
    Plz tell if it actually is a 1970 S small date and if it is should I get it graded?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  14. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

15. softmentor

yea, sorry I have to agree, large date. Still a nice S mint find.

16. Barfly

Barfly Active Member

2 boxes of halves. One 1964 90% in each one. Also found a nice 2004 S and 2001 S. Nothing else of note.

berto likes this.
  17. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Barfly, I consider your finds in two boxes better than average...definitely better than my average, congrats!

Barfly likes this.
  18. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Not exactly from a roll, but while turning in 4 straps of Ones I asked the teller if they had any halves. "No but I have an Eisenhower dollar." It was actually an 1882 Morgan.

:)

In the straps I found only 1 common star and a near partial ladder, 2009 1$ A01233456A

19. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Two boxes halves: 90%- 11 Bens (52D, 59, 60D, 61, 61D, 62, 62D-2, 63D-3), 5-64.
    40%-23. 1987-P. Proofs- 1971, 1986 Statue of Liberty Commemorative-3 (first I've found). NIFC-8.

20. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

Now thats an impressive find.

Draft saved Draft deleted