Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Too bad I wont be able to search for most of the rest of the year :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Why is this?

NOS likes this.
  4. CTRollHunter

CTRollHunter Well-Known Member

Oh, no! Say it isn't so...I hope you can get back to searching soon.

5. Barfly

Barfly Active Member

So far this year, 6 Boxes of Halves. 5 were skunks. Yesterday, I finally found 4 40%'s.

6. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Ff02, why must you stop searching?

Barfly, good to see you posting again. Your find rate on halves is very similar to mine. Too bad our finds aren't better, but still better than nothing.

Barfly likes this.
  7. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

$1000 bag of halves - 6x 40%, 3x 1964, 1x 1959 Franklin
    Hopefully will be able to get a bag every other Thursday, if the Credit Union remembers to order them.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

That reminds me. I'll have to ask my credit union.

@jlogan, do you roll your halves to return them elsewhere or use a change counter?

9. furryfrog02

Everyone that asked - I have to go away for work for the next few months. I'll be back in late June for about a month and then gone again until December.

My CU has pretty much put a halt on my getting boxes weekly too so I need to figure something else out.

10. furryfrog02

Picked up what the CU had left for halves today: $2300

Gave me a 64P Kennedy and 5 40%

berto likes this.
  11. berto

berto Well-Known Member

FF2, maybe you can roll hunt wherever you'll be for work, or better yet, visit banks and ask for CWRs!

12. Robby Bee

Robby Bee Member

Don't count yourself out so fast. Try researching the CRH opportunities in the area you are being located to - sometimes even very rural areas can be quite productive.

Where are you being relocated? I travel a lot and may be able to give insights via PM.

13. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

Two boxes halves: 6-NIFC, no silver.

14. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I take them to another bank with a coin counter, but there's a $1 fee for using it

15. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I've found they can be more productive. I quit ordering coins here in the city and joined a Credit Union out in the country. It's a 30 minute drive, but they can order halves by the $1K bag and i usually find more silver than i would in two $500 boxes.

16. AllCoExpat

AllCoExpat Well-Known Member

Sorry for the crap picture. That's the first counter-stamped coin I've found in almost two years of roll hunting. The rest of the box was pretty average or maybe even a little below average w/ 533 coppers, but not much else of note. I've got a fresh box sitting here ready to open so hopefully there will be something entertaining in that one!

Did $80 of CWR nickels yesterday and likewise didn't find anything of note. Since I moved I've been on a dry streak with searching. Oh well, luck's got to turn sometime
    FullSizeRender.jpg

17. furryfrog02

Finished my last 2 boxes of nickels. Sub-par:
    1 War(45D)
    1 09D
    First 2015D
    4 Canadian 5c
    1 Panama 5c
    1 Ecuador 5c
    6 pre-60 keepers

18. Barfly

Barfly Active Member

@ berto - Thanks. I've been occupied with other things, lately. There's a time component to making roll searching look good. There is also a scale component. I think 10 box buys would be the bomb. But, doing things on that level will take a lot of groundwork before it could be seriously undertaken. Pennies also have some potential, provided you've got the gear to do it on a reasonable scale. I'm entertaining notions of taking on both as a project, just need the time.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I got six dollars in Pennies the other day. Fed reserve bank of KC rev.jpg Fed reserve bank of KC obv.jpg

20. Birdman#33

Birdman#33 Member

As a credit union CFO, I am so happy to see a lot of you going to your local credit unions and realizing the difference between the big banks and credit unions. I go through all of our coins and have found some pretty cool stuff over the years.

Happy Hunting

rooman9 likes this.
  21. CTRollHunter

CTRollHunter Well-Known Member

OMG!

I waited in a long line at a bank that never has halves wondering if I was just wasting my time. When I finally made it to the teller and asked for halves, it was no surprise she had no rolls and only two loose halves. The surprise was one of the two halves was a 1993-S proof in decent shape.

Oh, and there was one large dollar coin. I had to give her a dollar for it.

20150420_103333.jpg

My first silver dollar ever from circulation! I was sure the teller was going to say she was saving it but she just exchanged it for me. My favorite kind of teller...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted