Roll of plated 1959D cents

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BuffaloHunter, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

The place where I work has it's own metal finishing facility. They always do such a good job when it comes to plating parts for me I thought I'd see what they could do with some Lincolns. I think they turned out good. I thought about putting them up on eBay but the wife questions the ethics. No, not my ethics, I would clearly describe them as PLATED, NOVELTY, etc. She mentioned that some dingbat who bought some would try to list them as "find of the century, rare mint error, freaks of the numismatic world" or whatever else, you get the picture. What's your thoughts on this? Any and all comments welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I was wondering what you plated them with. If they were obvious enough to not be passed off in the future as an error I would say go for it.
    I have a gold electroplate tool that I have plated a few coins with in the past and had thought about the ebay thing, but after looking at completed auctions I thought I wouldn't hassle with it.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Your wife is a smart lady ;) It's not how you sell that is the problem. It's how the next guys sells them. He may not be as honest as you - so why provide them the opportunity.

5. BuffaloHunter

They were plated electroless nickel

6. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I would agree with your wife, someone along the line might attempt to defraud someone with them. Can never be too careful these days man. They are pretty neat though. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

7. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Your wife is a smart lady listen to her she is right on this one.

The other Bruce.

8. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Is this form of nickel toxic?

9. BuffaloHunter

I have decided that I will not sell these on the bay but give them to people on this site. I want to share these neat coins and trust the fine people here to do the right thing with them. We'll start this weekend with a contest where the winner will receive a coin and a few "bonus" plated cents.

Take care and heads up this weekend for a contest, should be fairly easy.

10. Topher

Topher New Member

Looking forward to the contest. :)

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

With a little initiative you could make a small stamp that says FAKE. Stamp each coin on the rear. Or if you had the time you could use a metal scribber like for tools and write COATED or PLATED on the reverse. There are numerous ways you could do things like that so that others wouldn't attempt to use them as a fraudulant item. Even have some coins plated with things to make them look wierd. Sounds like if you wanted to you could make a decent profit doing this. Also, plate Nickels, Quarters, Halves, etc. Look how many are making a small fortune painting coins. Why not you.
    Now if you want to get even with someone, plate a whole mess of coins with LEAD and send them to China.

Draft saved Draft deleted