ROLL CALL: What is Your Primary Collecting Interest?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I thought it might be interesting to see who specializes in what, so I will start:

My primary collecting interest is in coins that are related to The Bible in some way. This can include coins mentioned directly in The Bible, or coins issued by people or in places mentioned.

I have a strong secondary interest in Roman coins (Imperial more than Republican, but I like both.

And finally I am also interested in Roman Britain.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stuwii

Stuwii Member

If i had to pick one choice it would have to be English Hammered coins by far my favourite coins and most knowledgeable area.

4. Prokles

Prokles Well-Known Member

I am mainly specialized in Greek coins from the Peloponnese but I also collect coins from other areas (Magna Grecia/Sicily).
    As I wrote in another thread I've also decided recently to open my horizon to the Roman coinage.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I don't really have a primary interest but I do want to put together a nice seleukid tet set but other than that I just buy whatever looks good to me. I also want to start a nice collection of Roman Imperial bronze

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Roman Imperial and provincial, especially the Antonine and Severan dynasties, but I have several sub-interests:

1) Women on ancient coins
    2) Coins with confronted busts, especially Gordian III and Tranquillina marriage issues
    3) Coins depicting pagan deities--I have an entire pantheon in my collection.
    4) Coins depicting statues of antiquity

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Roman Empresses: Been into their coinage & history pretty much since I started collecting ancients.

Roman Tetradrachms: Whether it's Syria or Egypt, I have started to add much more over the past few years and some of my best ones were bargain wins. So I have developed a bigger interest in them then years past.

Medieval: Acquiring many over the past 2 years. I find them just as enjoyable & rich in history just as ancients. Still have a lot to learn though.

World Moderns: When the above goes into a dry spell, I turn to world moderns to fill my coin needs. I especially prefer Great Britian coinage. But I have a great interest in French, Mexican, South American, & Italian. My least favorite is Dutch, German, & Russian. I find most of their 18th, 19th, & some 20 century coins uglier then current U.S. moderns.

9. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Late Roman (Valentinian I and later), early Byzantine (especially from the western mints), and the post-Roman Germanic kingdoms (Ostrogoths, Visigoths, etc.) are my main specialties/interests.

10. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I'm right there with you, Aethelred. My main focus is coins related to the Bible. My secondary focus is coins with Christian symbols on them.

I'd also like to get coins with reptiles on them because I'm a reptile mom.

My bro just collects whatever appeals to him on a certain day, no real focus.

Erin

11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

12th century European, and all things medieval at this point. I have a particular interest in English hammered (welcome @Stuwii !! Glad to have you on board!), but have been focusing mostly on French Feudal of late.

After medieval, then coins of the Silk Road, any odd ancients that catch my interest, then British decimal and American.

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

1. Coins related to the Peloponnesian War
    2. Modern/ancient design pairs
    3. Five good emperors
    4. A half hearted attempt at a US design type set

13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

By the way @Aethelred - no English Hammered for you? I would think with your name there's got to be at least one Anglo-Saxon in your collection...

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Aethelred

If you had posted this subject in, say, "Coin Chat" and used a poll covering all sorts of collecting interests, you might have created a more interesting outcome for your question, but since you chose to post this in "Ancient Coins", I have no interest at all.

Chris

panzerman likes this.
  15. Aethelred

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am all over the place, I like everything! BUT....If I were endowed with gobs of money....
    A/ get a complete a collection of every Roman Usurper/Empress/Emperor in both gold and silver in mintstate quality/ also RR gold/silver
    B/ collect all gold Dukat coinage/Silver Talers in mintstate quality/ German States/Holy Roman Empire
    C/ collect all medieval gold in mintstate
    However, that is only in my sweet dreams:cat:

17. Aethelred

I used to collect Medieval English coins alongside ancients, I decided to keep the same name here that I have used since 2001 on another forum.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

o_O Well, since he posted his question on the Ancients board, I assumed he wanted to know the specialty and subspecialty interests (which are vast) among CoinTalk's ancients collectors.

As for my areas of interest, I'm drawn to Greek, Roman Provincial, Roman Republic and Imperatorial, and the early part of Imperial issues. That's a wide swath but I have developed a special interest in coins of Roman Egypt.

Mostly I just collect "story coins" and coins which are visually appealing. Occasionally a coin is both :)

Volodya, Deacon Ray, Prokles and 15 others like this.
  19. Aethelred

Which I suppose begs the question why post at all?

I posted this in the ancient section because I do not have any interest in modern coins. Had I wanted to know who collected registry sets of deep cameo proofs from Liberia or the Marshall Islands or US coins shaped like gloves that are not as old as the socks I'm wearing I would have posted this on the US or World side.

20. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

1. Provincial cities, currently over 200 different.
    2. Unidentified provincials.
    3. Nautical related provincials.
    4. Greek Æ coins.

21. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Mine are limited by budget only, I suppose what I have the most of and in no particular order are Seleucid Kings of Syria, Constantine Era, any Byzantine, and tribes/early Roman Hispania. Though I am interested in nearly all ancient cultures/periods around the Mediterranean.

Draft saved Draft deleted