Robert the 3rd Groat.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Pickin and Grinin, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I went a bit out of my comfort level with this one.
    I was hoping for your opinion. It's a first coinage heavy issue, 2.8 grams
    upload_2024-4-4_22-13-6.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Very lovely coin, though not my area of interest.
    From the books I think I see Robert III first issue, Edinburgh mint and will date between 1390 and 1403. Must be VF (UK grading) for a hammered coin, so a lovely example to have. The weakness to the detail of the pellets on the reverse will be from the original dies.
    I can't see any reason to doubt its authenticity. Whether it was worth what you paid for it all depends on the price and how much you love it!
    The only book I have on this area is a Coincraft offering from 1999, and that lists a VF specimen as £140. Prices have gone up a long way since then. If I wanted one, I would be happy if I could get it around £500 but would not be surprised to see it run towards £1000. There is a less good Perth mint example on Ebay at present, NGC graded XF40 for $1350.

4. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

Looks nicely struck for the type to me, though I'm using coins from that time period in general as a reference.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Thanks Paddy, from those prices I don't think that I did too bad. It was in the 300 range. The dealer always bundles coins if you buy more than 1.
    I found a few other auctions most of them sold for around the same price, and some going for quite a bit more.

Cheech9712 and PaddyB like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Thanks I see these type coins every once in a while, and most are either bent or have very little details left. This one stuck out from the rest.

7. PaddyB

That was a brilliant deal for a coin in that condition. I would have strayed from my usual English coinage to pick that one up for that price. Was that in the US?

8. Pickin and Grinin

Yes, it is a smaller shop. I tend to find coins that are quite uncommon, coins that I don't see unless at a big show.
    I wish that I could make the trip more often, He has some really nice coins.

PaddyB likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Awesome! Medieval Scottish has a certain mystique for me. Despite being of Scottish descent on my mother’s side, I did not own any independent Scottish coin until 2021. And that lone Alexander III penny remains my only Scottish coin to date.

IMG_7770.jpeg

Impressive that you got a groat. On my only semi-educated intuition, I’d say the $300-ish price you paid sounds like a pretty good deal.

10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Now have a new favorite coin lol

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What’s a Groat coin. Rings a bell

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

A groat was a four-pence coin (=4 pennies).

Cheech9712 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  13. PaddyB

Yes, prior to the Groat all GB coins were Pennies and across much of Europe the Denier, name derived from the Roman Denarius. (Hence the abbreviation for a British Penny pre-decimalisation was "d" instead of "p".)
    When the new coin worth 4 Pennies was introduced it became known as a Groat from the Norman French word "Grosse" for large. - simply because of its larger size.

Draft saved Draft deleted