[CLOSED] Robec Giveaway #1 (three Gem US coins)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Robec Giveaway #1

("His loss is your gain")

9/1/21: this contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #96.

10/1/21: since our September 1st winner never claimed his prize, we did a re-draw, and the new winner was announced in Post #106.

@robec approached me a few months back about giving away these coins, but things fell by the wayside when I went on my overlong hiatus. He said he had been inspired to do this by an act of generosity from @spirityoda, who has been a regular contributor to giveaways on this forum. So he wants to “pay it forward”.

@robec is, I believe, a Registry collector of certified coins with superior eye appeal. He is also a top-notch coin photographer, as you will see. You've probably seen some of his attractively toned Lincoln cents around.

Before we list the three prizes here, let's cover the instructions.

To enter this giveaway is very simple. You need only type the words "entry post" into your first (and only the first) reply to this thread. The number stamp generated at the bottom right corner of your post will become your lucky number in the drawing, which will be done with a random number generator. You may post other chat and discussion, but each contestant gets only one entry post in the drawing.

Oh- and don't forget to thank our sponsor, @robec.

If your lucky number (the count number from your entry post) comes up in the random number generator when the drawing is done, you will win all three of the coins shown here.

The drawing will be announced in the future; likely on or around September 1st, 2021, depending on our sponsor's preferred timing and when I'm around to help with the logistics. It should be sometime around the first of the month, give or take (stay tuned). The prize lot will be shipped by the sponsor.

Now, let's look at the goodies, shall we?

Certified coin collectors: have you ever attempted a crossover, or just made a bad luck submission that didn't pan out quite the way you hoped it would? I'm sure we all have. This first coin, a 1955-D Roosevelt dime, is such a case in point.

1955dRoos_closeSlab.jpg

@robec acquired it in an NGC holder, graded MS66★. The "star" symbol is reserved by NGC for coins they consider to have the highest eye appeal.

I will digress by mentioning that not once have I ever received a star ★ on any of the coins I personally submitted to NGC, even the ones that I thought especially deserved it.

Here is his photo of the coin from when it was certified in the MS66★ NGC slab. Pretty toning, eh?

NGC cert #4064966-002
    RIWhite_1955dRoos_MS66_.jpg

But then he decided to resubmit the coin to PCGS (so that it could be included in a PCGS Registry set, I suppose).

That's when things took a disappointing turn. On three separate occasions, he attempted to cross this formerly NGC MS66★ dime to PCGS, but each time, PCGS gave it a "details" grade due to what they called "wheel marks". He doesn't see anything there. Neither do I, but I guess they must have seen some tiny mark(s) somewhere. Who knows where? See anything in these photos? I don't. You can click onto the max-resolution TrueView image on the PCGS cert page (link below). Whatever marks there are, if there are any, must be tiny indeed.

So anyway, now the coin resides in a PCGS "Genuine - UNC Details (98 - Damage)" slab. Quite the disappointing comedown from its former NGC "star" ★ glory. And @robec has thrown in the towel, refusing to waste any more money trying to cross it over. So here it remains now, in the PCGS slab.

PCGS cert #41526554

1955dRoos_NGtv.jpg

Now, here's the thing. It's the same coin. Same pretty pastel toning. Same eye appeal. Different slab, different label.

@robec's disappointment can now be your good fortune, if you win this one. I believe he said he never tried to send it back to NGC for another try at the former grade- he’s done throwing money at the TPGs- but he sees no reason it shouldn't have a good chance at NGC MS66 again, if not MS66★, should somebody else choose to crack it out and attempt that. In fact, he offered to crack it out of the sad PCGS plastic before this contest, but I suggested he just leave it as-is and let the new owner decide what to do about that.

So that’s the dime. Next there is a pair of Gem quality Red Uncirculated 1946 cents. These are still raw, uncertified pieces. @robec said he believes these should grade at least MS66 RD with a chance at going MS67 RD if submitted, and I concur in that opinion based on his excellent photos. (Besides, the man knows his Lincoln cents.) Both are blazing beauties.

RIWhite_1946Linc_Raw3.jpg RIWhite_1946Linc_Raw4.jpg

Good luck! The lucky winner of the random drawing will receive all three of these coins from our kind sponsor, @robec.

Theodosius, Kliao, spirityoda and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

This contest is now open.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post thanks for the opportunity beautiful coins:):).My mimi jackpot at the bank yesterday.Note the bat W'S are different coins 2 total. 20210730_142011.jpg 20210730_142031.jpg 20210730_180118.jpg 20210730_180137.jpg

5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post, Thank you @robec for your very generous contest. May karma cast winds of fortune your way.

6. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post.

Awesome giveaway! That 1955-D Roosevelt has some beautiful toning, no matter what holder its in! Thank you @robec and @lordmarcovan very much!

7. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

8. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Coin shortage of good coins not crappy ones lol

Entry post Ty@robec

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Entry post. Epic

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

ENTRY POST

Thank you @robec for offering three beautiful coins to this wonderful community.

Thank you @lordmarcovan for facilitating this great giveaway on behest of @robec

May the best karma settle gently upon you both.

12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Entry post

Thanks for the contest

13. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Entry Post - Thank you @robec

robec and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  14. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Thank you @lordmarcovan for bringing this contest to us...since I didn't want to put anything else into my first/entry post (per your instructions), I thought I'd thank you in a second post!

15. lordmarcovan

You can put anything you like into an entry post, as long as you don't put the title "entry post" into more than one reply. That two-word phrase is just there to help me later, when I am doing the drawings and trying to sort the eligible entry posts from the mere conversational posts.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Entry Post

if you ever have any questions about matte proof Lincolns @robec is your guy.

17. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    What incredible generosity, a big thankyou to @robec for the opportunity and to @lordmarcovan for his support. Whoever wins will have 3 coins that deserve a place in any collection. Good luck everyone

robec, GH#75, love old coins and 2 others like this.
  18. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Entry post. Thanks

19. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Thanks @robec!

20. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Entry post:
    Thanks @robec for the giveaway!

21. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

Enty post! Thank you @robec!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.