Rivers of No Return

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PacificFleet, Jan 29, 2020.

?

Which have you found

1. Error Type 1: Golden Eagle Edition

50.0%
  2. Error Type 2: Osprey Edition

50.0%
  3. Error Type 3: Extra Branch (pending verification)

50.0%
  4. Other Error

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PacificFleet

PacificFleet kama'aina collector

2020-01-29 10.51.56.jpg As a new member I have not been able to locate a thread discussing RNR errors from this past year.

Please advise if such a thread is in motion.

Having invested a great deal of energy toward the River of No Return ATB 2019-2020 release and set it has been great to share some positive findings here.

First off, being here in Hawaii the vast majority of coins are from Denver. Being that Denver is well, um better than Philidelphia in terms of respective quality control and/or quality assurance it adds energy required to track down these errors and find ATB variety/error coins. Like the W variety, I have as of yet, not obtained a single one at face value in circulation.

I am in correspondence with two others who have suceeded with me in locating and identifying a particulary special variety of Error. In searching this forum and online error listings I have found no record of the coin other than of course the other two individuals. I intend that this thread be the principle source of knowledge for River of No Return: Bird in the Tree (RNR BITT) Error coins as they are less than a year old and are continuing to be tracked down, bought, and discovered.

Estimated current population is less than 20 and the ratio for finding is 1:428, but figures will stabilize over time.

If enough of these are out there it might just become a "Type 2" "Type 3" version of the coin, if the presses were run not knowing they were different.

There are other documented expensive RNR errors already ranging to the $1K range strike-throughs to 2 known examples of aggressive line-damage metal damage hitting the die. Less valuable examples currently posted elsewhere are die cracks at the lower half of the reverse and post-strike pre-collector processing machine ring damage.

My evaluation is that this one was either a special die or that something happened that damaged the machine at the point of the tallest tree, forming the bird cud.

Error/Variety nomanclature selected based on actual birds present in the River of No Return Wilderness.

The golden eagle example in my possession looks like a scaled-down version of the Peace Dollar reverse.

It is real. It is replicated, and it is very cool.

+1 to Philadelphia Mint!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What is the error you are showing?
    Also, E Komo Mai to CT :)

Brina, PacificFleet and Islander80-83 like this.
  4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club.

Non sibi sed patriae

PacificFleet likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Other Error (i.e. user error). ;)

PacificFleet likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What errors are you talking about? My LCS hasn't heard of any. Any photos?

Welcome to CT.

PacificFleet likes this.
  7. PacificFleet

Haha CoinCorgi

Yeah guys the other images have not uploaded. Keep on getting errors ( no pun intended)

Will try to get it resolved.

8. PacificFleet

Golden Eagle Edition: 2020-01-29 10.57.10.jpg

9. PacificFleet

Osprey Edition (same spot, different coin. The bird is smaller.

I did not pull these from the same batch. They were bought online.

I have personally found 3 Ospreys but zero of the others. Those had to be won at auction/spot buy online.

2020-01-29 11.38.00.jpg .)

10. Islander80-83

This Osprey, Golden Eagle thing is all new to me. icon_smile_headscratch.gif

Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. PacificFleet

2020-01-29 11.48.42.jpg 2020-01-29 11.47.57.jpg And last but not least the Extra branch error.

I have confirmed replicability of the above 2 varieties but this one is borderline.

I bought one and it is either a precise hit to the top of the tree from another coin... OR it is a legit die cud similar to the BITT Golden Eagle

2nd is en route. If they are identical then we know that it's pre-sorting. If they aren't then I just lost some money

12. Collecting Nut

I must be loosing it. Osprey, Eagle and extra branches? All I see is a discoloration like a stain. This is all new to me.

paddyman98 and Islander80-83 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

Yeah I don't see anything that is worthwhile on those... Maybe I'm missing it still?

paddyman98 and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Looks like a bunch of different bits of crap are gathering at the top of the tallest tree.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

That looks like Damage.

16. Islander80-83

Here's the eagle I think he's talking about. I think the others need arrows as well.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 4.59.06 PM.png

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. PacificFleet

The Choice BU PL Launch coin at the start of the post is for 'control' reference purposes. No issues.

Error coin pics follow thereafter.

Regards

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This is all new to me also. Not sure how these got named as such. Has anything yet been published in a trade paper/magazine yet? If so, do you have any links? What I'm seeing at the tip of the tree is not a cud as that involves the rim of a coin. It could be an IDB or other die damage in which case I could not see a $1K price tag even if newly discovered. I think we all need a little more info on this before anyone can say for sure.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I'm just not seeing that.

20. furryfrog02

[​IMG]

Islander80-83 likes this.
  21. PacificFleet

CollectingNut--

From afar, Indeed it does, but three of us from different states on Ebay have found them. The birds are clearly not indented into the coin, but are raised metal and all in the same place.

Wish I had a better macro imaging setup so it can be really scrutinized.

States where these have been found:
    Hawaii (via rolls bought online, not obtained locally)
    Georgia
    New York

These are ONLY found on the 2019-P issue thus far.

Draft saved Draft deleted