River thames london.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by crowbaby, Nov 29, 2011.

1. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Hi everyone, i have been looking for coins on the foreshore of the thames at low-tide for about 40 years now (mudlarking), and have found some great coins, i have found a gold us indian head one dollar, some uk silver mostly victorian but some much older hammered coins. coins are very mobile in the wider parts of the river. not stuck in the mud. a spot on the foreshore may collect coins like a gold dust pan.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Very nice. Post some pics when you get a chance. TC

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd like to see photos of the gold dollar.

Chris

5. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

the river mersey is another superb place to find coins and artifacts from all over the world, liverpool was the uk's most important seaport for many years and ships from all over the world docked there.

6. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Pics

Tried to post some pictures my smart phone don,t work on that page.

7. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

I don.t have anymore, it went missing, it was a very small coin may have just got lost again.

8. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

River mersey

The river mersey sounds a lot like the docklands part of the thames.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It's way cool that you can actually scroung arounf the Thames. All I have is the American River over here near Coloma, California!

10. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

it certainly is, the centuries of shipping in and out of the river have left many undiscovered gems.

11. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Hi 19Lyds, i have not heard of the american river, i will google it.

12. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Hi moneyer12, ancient britains lived there, you may have something like the magnificent battersea shield, or viking long boat there, yet to be discovered.

13. 19Lyds

"The South Fork of the American River changed world history in 1848 when California's first gold was discovered in its stream bed at Sutter's Mill. This discovery triggered the California Gold Rush of 1849, sometimes referred to as the largest human migration for a single purpose since the Crusades.

Unfortunately, once the easily found gold was removed, the miners made a mess of things with their hydraulic pumps, causing folks downstream to complain. Eventually, the mining operations were shut down, and today you can still find huge trenches created by the miners 150 years ago."

Gold Country!

But it still doesn;t have the Historical significance of the Thames.

14. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

Thanks for information 19Lyds, that interesting. what do you find from the gold rush. clay pipes. old bottles?

15. 19Lyds

I wish. The American river is strew with river rocks and rough shore lines. If I were 30 years younger, I'd climb around those rocks but I'm not.

16. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

You'd probably find a lot of debris left by rafters. :)

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe some rafters left as debris too.

Draft saved Draft deleted