RIP Life Savings of Franklin Collectors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iloveallcoins, Dec 8, 2017.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I agree completely. I never use price guides when bidding on coins. I always use auction results from the main players. However, I try to purchase higher grade coins so there's usually a decent history pool to use for examples. For lower grade common coins it may be difficult to do this so price guides may be the only option. I'd probably never pay the price guide price; maybe pay 50-75% of what's shown.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

What say you Rick Tomaska?

longshot likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Economics swing both ways. If now what you see are lower prices, albeit of coins you already possess, it presents a buying opportunity, so buy. If it goes back higher where you think it should be , sell the extras. See it as an opportunity since you feel you have a better understanding of value than PCGS. But I do not feel you are convincing very many people. Even from the title, you feel they are affecting your collected value, and personal complaining seldom collect much sympathy unless another also has invested similarly. There are many listings where my favorite coins have decreased in value, and if a better one comes along, I will purchase it and wait until they go back up ( optimistically) and perhaps sell the lesser. If I was strictly investing, I would monitor carefully and sell immediately on a set discount and then wait for a reversal, although sometimes it doesn't occur. Jim

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

These are fairly modern coins - especially anything after 1933. The prices are as high as they are due to marketing. The marketing of these has pushed the prices as high as they could be sustained, so when money goes elsewhere to the next best thing, things get sold for "Fair Market Value"

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

IMO, there was a shift in the coin market. In the past coin people used knowledge and experience to buy and sell to increase their wealth. Then with the TPG, they didn't have to have much of either, they just went by the labels. Checking the auction sites and trying to "FLIP" ~ The Fword of coin collecting~ to obtain their riches which they felt due to their "being in the right place with the right coin at the right time". I think the true coin market ( non-slabbed) is down because of this. Many older varieties are down as most new collectors are satisfied with the multitude of new single squeeze stuff, that they don't spend on the older traditional ones. Some people like to swim races sharks but they know better than to get in the same lanes. There are a lot of sharks out there, so pick a different lane unless you are one heck of a super swimmer.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The price is what the market determines.
    Franklins are a mediocre series with a boring design and only 2 or 3 semi key dates.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Let's say I'd like to be treated as the king of the world: should I be offended by those refusing to refer to me as his/your "highness" and/or attack them as hateful for not doing so, even if simply unaware of said preference? Of course not and while a rather extreme example, this highlights the problem with your stated logic: it is reserved not for everyone, but for whatever special/protected classes are randomly chosen by those who've no business dictating how already respectful others act/think/behave. This considered, and particularly if willing to acknowledging historical reality, devolution seems altogether fitting as well as more appropriate.

To take this one step further, let's say your given name was Leslie. You would go through life regularly encountering people who assume "Leslie" to be your wife/daughter/friend/whatever and simply because the name is more commonly female. Do such people deserve to be attacked and smeared as is so often the case with what you're talking about? No, they don't, and for the simple fact that one cannot always have their way, but mostly because no harm is intended. As said earlier: respect begets respect. Those so very eager to demand respect would be well served by also learning to give respect.

mrjason71 and Aotearoa like this.
  9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

No. You’re missing the point.

If, as in your example, you want to be treated as the king of the world, since you clearly are not, I would treat you as the idiot you are behaving like, but I would do so based upon your behavior.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Marry me

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Again, you are but a child............

12. Cheech9712

Karen leslie here speaking. Try Frances next time. But you are wise

13. green18

Then marry him.........

14. Cheech9712

Your mind is young.

15. green18

Infantile........

Stevearino and Gregg like this.
  16. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

It just seems to me that PCGS might have finally hired someone who can read numbers. OP, you aren't unemployed by chance, are you?

17. Cheech9712

Im hurt.

18. Cheech9712

Awww. You won me back

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Now be silent and let me carish my thoughts

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Would this thread make more sense if I drank more?

Stevearino, green18 and Gregg like this.
  21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Not even then, I fear

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted