Rim Size Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by iPen, Mar 3, 2015.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I posted this in the Coin Chat sub-forum before, and I'm hoping to get more answers here. On this 1926 S Oregon Trail half, is this PMD, mint error, or other? The rim appears to get narrower. The area in question is between 3 and 4 o'clock on the obverse, and curves into the rim. The top of the rim, as shown in the first pic, is angled as if there is no damage and as if it's supposed to begin at a thinner thickness. If it's an error, what sort of error would this be - uneven planchet thickness?

Thanks in advance!

P1050912.JPG
    P1050906.JPG
    P1050909.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

My thoughts are it was damaged and sanded down and polished to hide the damage. On the obv. Between 3 and 5 K the rim looks so different then on other rim areas on the coin. If you look at the coins reeded edge notice how each one has like a 45 degree cut, not like the areas not effected .Still a nice looking coin as to color and eye appeal .

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I see what you mean and that makes a lot of sense.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Your image of the rim sez it all. It's a good image and when enlarged to me tells me the coin was doctored. I could be wrong.... but IMHO it was sanded and polished . If you like the coin and can live with it put it in a 2x2 and don't worry .
    We all have purchased coins that were not what we believe them to be.
    And if someone tells you different well they are either very lucky or they are lying .

6. oi!

oi! Member

awesome coin though

Draft saved Draft deleted