Rim involvement for grades

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dimeguy, Oct 5, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

How much rim involvement is permitted before issuing a details grade?

Reason I am asking: I purchased a 1918 P Walking Liberty Half, and even though they are not immediately discernible, you can tell there is some rim breakage. I will post pictures tonight as I am at work currently.

However, when you look at this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313696638035?hash=item4909c6d453:g:ksgAAOSwkIRhPXkJ

I would say there is certainly rim issues on the 12 o'clock position on the reverse, but straight graded. So, what is the minimum, if any to detail a coin solely on rim issues? Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The reverse rim is less important than the obverse. The lower the grade the less the value is affected by rim nicks...So to answer you question directly: Good Luck!:jawdrop:

It all depends on the coin type/age and the final grader's mood. I don't need to make the decision. All I do :doctor: :watching: is make sure anything on a coin I :troll: don't like is passed on to the next person.

dimeguy and Kentucky like this.
  4. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Have to also factor the overall condition...for this, quite worn as reflected in the assigned grade...rim issues likely not as important on these grades, but if present on a high(er) grade coin could factor more...maybe even to "details."

dimeguy and Insider like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Given the fact that coin is graded VG-8, the rim issues are lot less important that they would be on a higher grade piece. Do you wish that they were not there? Sure, and you might want to keep shopping to find one without them. But given the grade, it kind of comes with the territory.

Believe it or not, the only rim issue that MIGHT concern me is above and to the left of the "E" on the obverse. That area may have been filed, and I have said MIGHT. I would really have to look at it closer than on this photo. Filed rims are a coin doctor thing, and that is important.

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So what I am gleaning is, like most all grading, there is subjectivity involved. It does make sense that is some leeway depending on the coins grade. I was taught/picked up for lower grades to always look at the rim to see if there are nicks, details running into it, etc, so when I see one, as I posted above, it is always a strong habit of mine to immediately pass, but I guess I probably need to be a little more liberal for lower grade coins. I'll post mine tonight when I get home to field opinions.

7. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

No, not thinking of purchasing this one. Just posted it as it seemed to be a fair example of what I was wondering.

To answer your question, yes, I always wish they weren't there. If I was shopping for this coin, I would pass on this one because it immediately draws my eye. If it immediately draws my eye and is a negative attribute to the coin itself, I usually pass, but I agree with what you said, given the grade I may have to learn to lower expectations just a tad.

8. Insider

dimeguy, posted: "So what I am gleaning is, like most all grading, there is subjectivity involved. It does make sense that is some leeway depending on the coins grade. I was taught/picked up for lower grades to always look at the rim to see if there are nicks, details running into it, etc, so when I see one, as I posted above, it is always a strong habit of mine to immediately pass, but I guess I probably need to be a little more liberal for lower grade coins. I'll post mine tonight when I get home to field opinions."

That's up to you. That's also up to everyone else. That's how "standards" change. Mine have not except when I'm at work. There are some really nice problem free coins out there in low grades. It's funny but I hear more comments on those coins than on commonly seen MS-66's. A perfectly circulated for the grade and beautiful VG-10 1903-S Barber dime crossed the room yesterday that we all wished to buy. ;)

9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I didn’t notice any problems when I sent this in and since it’s still in the slab, I still don’t know what the problem looks like.

upload_2021-10-5_20-16-16.jpeg

upload_2021-10-5_20-16-32.jpeg

10. Insider

Take a Lincoln cent out of your jar and find a nail file. Now FILE THE RIM. That's what it looks like. The insert of the slab makes it hard to see. Probably 10 OC on the obverse (color change).

11. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Thanks for the snarky, unhelpful answer to the question I didn’t ask. Yes, the insert makes it hard to see which is why I haven’t seen the specific problem on this specific coin.

12. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So here is my new purchase which spawned the question at hand. Don't read me wrong. I do not regret the purchase. I feel the areas of note between B and E and between R and T are not that eye catching. I was simply wondering to what effect would rim marks have on issuing a details grade and I think I got my answer. Thank you all for your input especially @Insider and @Mac McDonald

1918 P Liberty Half obverse (1).jpg

1918 P Liberty Half reverse (1).jpg

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is true in most human endeavors, but there is a subjective standard. What you have going for you, in this case, is that the coin is well circulated, so ciurculation damage is considered part of the grade. If this was a mint coin, rim damage often leads to a coin being body bagged. I am not talking nicks. The rim is there to take on nicks, I suppose. But a chuck out of the rim will give it a body bag.

THat being said, I recently got back a Buffalo Nickle with a small but definite peice of the rim damaged, and ANACS graded it MS64.

ihnickle_type1_1913_aq_2021_obverse.b.png

14. Insider

H8_modern, posted: "Thanks for the snarky, unhelpful answer to the question I didn’t ask. Yes, the insert makes it hard to see which is why I haven’t seen the specific problem on this specific coin."

You are welcome. Your comments caused me to read your OP again. Unfortunately, my :bucktooth: original answer to you was totally wrong! :facepalm::eggface::(

:oops::sorry: I should have posted this: There is a very simple reason you cannot see any file marks on your coin...its EDGE ("edge filed") IS NOT VISIBLE!!! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted