Right side up OR upside down

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wrexx, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just out of curiosity, if they were "minted in both alignments" as @offa the saxon says, would the label "rotated die" have any meaning? I'm thinking of the lettering on some "gold" dollar coins...my understanding is the orientation on them is random.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you remember the ridiculous fiasco with "A Side/B Side" edge lettering on the Prez dollars? That was eventually determined that it should be properly considered random. However, those were coins, not medals. Medals are supposed to be struck in a specific way. The obverse and the reverse should be "up". So yes, the rotated die does have meaning.

4. Kentucky

Let me reiterate...it was claimed (@offa the saxon ) that Swiss 5 franc coins were minted with BOTH alignments. With that in mind, how would you differentiate between one that was minted with medal alignment vs one that was a 180 degree rotated die? I'll answer it...you couldn't.

5. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Coins from 1981 and before are coin alignment, coins from 1982 and after are medal alignment. This is true for all Swiss coins from 1/2Fr and up.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since you amended your original statement, you do that!

Knowing nothing about Swiss coinage, myself, it appears that Kentucky isn't completely right after all.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

This from Wikipedia:
    upload_2021-1-4_18-57-37.png
    upload_2021-1-4_19-1-57.png

^ Coin alignment ^ ^ Medal alignment ^

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Kentucky likes this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have yet to make up my mind...LOL

9. Kentucky

yup, I stand corrected. BTW, I didn't mean you couldn't answer it, I meant I didn't think it could be answered...drat, wrong again.

adelaide888 likes this.
  10. adelaide888

adelaide888 Active Member

I'm confused. Does the OP have an error coin, or not?

Robert Ransom likes this.
  11. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Look at Krause and numista it lists both coin and medal alignments for Swiss 5 francs. I have one of each in my collection also so it’s hardly a claim more of a fact

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

No.

adelaide888 likes this.
  13. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Nope. The 1989 1 Franc was minted in medal alignment, and the 1974 2 Francs was minted in coin alignment. Both are as they should be.

adelaide888 likes this.
  14. Kentucky

It IS a fact, but the question remains as to whether there was a time that they switched from coin orientation to medal orientation or vice versa or has it always been a mixed bag.

https://www.zumbo.ch/coins/ch/news1...ion of the,coin rotation to metallic rotation.

Swiss coin trivia
    In the last issue of this newsletter, I was discussing the somehow confusing mint marks on the 1/2 Fr., 1 Fr. 1968 and 2 Fr. coins 1968-70. For the 5 Fr. coins, the situation is much clearer: all of them were minted in Bern, and they all bear the "B" mint mark, except for the 1970-85 issues. Since the introduction of the copper-nickel coin, there were only two other changes in appearance: In 1982, their orientation changed from coin rotation to metallic rotation. And from 1985 to 1993, the edge lettering was incuse.

15. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

"metallic" rotation? lol

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

I just quote em, I don't make em up...

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted