Ridiculous Toning Premium

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ever see a coin that you fall in love with, one that should be in your price range? I expected some sort of a premium for this and honestly thought the dealer was joking at first. I saw this beauty at the Denver world's fair two weeks ago. I have never seen so much silver on a Lincoln cent. The lighting in the case made the fields look black which made a silver toned Lincoln bust just pop right out. I held it in my hands and had to hand it back:
    81023000_Large.jpg
    PCGS PR69RB. The true view just doesnt do it justice.

Dealer asking price: $1075.00

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks but no thanks.
    It's purdy but I couldn't justify the price ever.

Evan8 likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

PCGS Pops don't even list "RB" as an available category after 1995. And I want a half-ounce or so of whatever the dealer's smoking. :p

Dave Waterstraat, Kirkuleez and Evan8 like this.
  5. Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer Senior Member

Toning is just time, chemistry, and temperature. Easy to manipulate. Nobody should be willing to pay ridiculous premiums like that. I'd say it might be worth five or ten dollars over an untoned example of the same coin. That would pay for the chemicals and the time to artificially tone it.

Dynoking likes this.
  6. SuperDave

For that kind of money you could go get 100 or so "normal" examples - PR69DCAMs to boot - and experiment until you figured out the combination. You'd still have 20 or 25 to dribble out into the market, each for their own obscene premiums.

7. Evan8

Right? I would have paid like 100 bucks for it, which is still pretty high. PCGS doesnt even have a price for this coin in RB let alone without a cameo designation.

I figured he was using it as an attention grabber and wasnt interested in selling it. I saw it clear from another booth.

Skyman likes this.
  8. SuperDave

I could have seen $100; I know how desirable that toning is. That's still 10x retail and then some, without DCAM.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm still trying to get over the fact that they slabbed that thing.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You know, if I found that in my change I would just throw it in the penny jar as damaged.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm having a hard time believing that the toning didn't have a "little help". But I guess the PCGS knows best. :banghead:

12. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

I'm a toning junkie and even to me that price isn't a joke, it's downright insane. The scary part is someone will probably pay it.

The only way I know to protect myself from myself when it comes to toning is buy cheapish coins with cool toning. If a coin has high dollar numismatic value, I won't buy a toned version unless it's slabbed in order to avoid something with artificial toning.

As a relatively new member of the coin community that's the only way I can protect myself.

Worst case, if artificial toning slips past me, I'm not out a huge amount of money. A $20 Peace Dollar with fake toning is still at least worth melt value.

Still, to a toning junkie like me, this coin is so coooooool....hello, my name is GerardV, and I am addicted to toned coins, it's been one week since I last bought!

Yet, even an unchecked addiction couldn't get me to pay that crazy price.

13. Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer Senior Member

I suggest that toning artists should be able to apply color to coins as an artistic expression, as long as they are clearly marked as "AT" or "artifically toned". A very small punch could permanently mark such a coin in a satisfactory way. The toning would be worth whatever the market will bear for artificial toning... taking into account uniqueness and the time and effort that such toning involves. That way toning enthusiasts could acquire beautiful pieces at reasonable prices, and we could essentially destroy the practice of faking toning for high prices.

Dynoking and GerardV like this.
  14. Evan8

I just want to point out that the PCGS true view really exaggerates the reverse colors. They arent that bright and if turned in the right light the fields will still appear black. The true view doesnt show just how bright the silver tone is on this coin. I should have taken a picture of it with my phone.

In hand this coin is very much different.

15. Vivid_coins

Vivid_coins New Member

This used to be mine (Jason Wendt, Instagram- Vivid_coins) It is one of a kind and an absolute stunner of a coin as Dennis King would say.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Did you have the original proof set, or was it toned when you acquired it?

17. Vivid_coins

Vivid_coins New Member

I bought it already holdered.

Draft saved Draft deleted