Richmond,Va fall coin show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ksparrow, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The Richmond Coin Club hosts a local show twice a year. It's held at the Acca Temple on Hermitage Road, an excellent venue with plenty of free parking, and about 1 mile from the Boulevard exit on I-95. As luck would have it, I live just around the corner. The show runs Fri-Sun, but I worked all day Fri.
    So Saturday it was. The Acca Temple is a spacious venue with wide aisles and plenty of dealer set up space. The Richmond Coin Club has drawings throughout the day for door prizes, admission is free. I headed to the table of Rob and Casey Catron (Coins Make Cents) as Rob had let me know he had some toned Roosie dimes I might like. I have a little project going to assemble a full set of nicely toned dimes in a Capitol holder (got the idea from Sanction II) and have been moving along in fits and starts for a few years now. Rob was holding these for me to see before offering them to anyone else and I really appreciate this as these are very nice toned Roosies! In fact two of them have stunning rainbow targets on the rev. from album storage, I guess.
    It was hard to choose favorites so I just bought the whole lot for a very fair price. I still have a ways to go to finish the set but Rob and Casey have been a big help. I also purchased several raw MS later date Walkers from them that have that nice dusty-gray patina that says "I haven't been dipped."
    Another goal is to complete a Library of Coins album of SLQ's (minus the 3 really pricey ones) in F to VF. This is a low key project of mine and since most dealers have at least a few of these it gives me a chance to meet folks and make some connections. I'll tell you, a 1919-D in VF is a scarce critter! At one table I was looking at a 1918 P that appeared decent but when I put the glass on it the surfaces were porous all over, both sides. I explained to the seller that I believed it was a counterfeit and after the initial shock he took it off the table for further review. I was able to find 5 that I needed and they look ok in the LOC album. makes me feel like an old time collector. One quarter came from Doug Bowers (Douggin Collectibles); he explained that his limited SLQ selection was a result of having a large part of their inventory stolen (last year?) with nothing recovered as yet. They are rebuilding their inventory, and I wish them well. Very nice people who love the hobby and their work.
    From the floor I could see a banner for the Reeded Edge up on the raised dais area, so headed up there to find that they were packing up for the trip back to Maryland. Looking at what was left in the cases , I spotted a coin I have been looking for, for a long time. It's a big purchase, for me, and Robert Lehmann and I worked out a deal where this coin will be mine in a couple of months. More to follow. If I hadn't pulled the trigger, I'm pretty sure the coin would have been in someone else's collection by Baltimore.
    I also returned today for a couple of hours before the show closed at 3. The Shriners were serving lunch both days from their kitchen at modest prices. The show atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed. Business seemed pretty steady. Unfortunately, one dealer had a gold coin stolen from an unlocked case by a stealthy thief. The coin was on the dealer side of the case near the hinges, so the thief had to be quick and accurate. Probably had practice.
    Finished the day on Saturday by going to Hardywood Brewery (just down the road) in the evening, had some good microbrews and danced to a very tight Bossa Nova band. This is a nice local show and if you live within a couple of hours of RVA (sorry, Paradise Found) y'all should come.
    I'll post some pictures of some of the colorful Roosies when I have time to take them.
    Happy collecting!

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree the ACCA Temple is a great venue and the show was very productive for me as detailed over on the Ancients part of CT. There will be another show there May 3, 4, 5, 2019. The only complaint I have is the scheduling of Richmond only one week before the huge Baltimore show this week. The Richmond Coin Club often runs a charter bus or van to Baltimore for those of us who don't want to drive and pay the parking. I have trouble not going but the improvement of the Richmond show makes it hard to choose just one. I guess I'll just be broke for a while.

Wherever you live, support your local coin shows. We in Richmond are lucky to have the VNA in Fredericksburg, the RCC at ACCA discussed here and even a smaller show of the Centeral VA Coin Club in Chester at John Tyler Community College.

Draft saved Draft deleted