Richmond, Va Coin show

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Oct 17, 2022.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The Richmond Coin Club hosts a show twice a year, I attended the fall edition this past weekend. I don't usually go with any particular objective, just to chat with some of the regulars I know, and see if any coins catch my eye. I stopped by the table of Rob of Coins make Cents ; as usual he had some interesting things. He showed me a small, old album titled "US Mint Sets" which contained mint sets from the 40s and 50s; all removed from the OGP and carefully placed in the album pages. Rob asked the original owner if he still had the cardboard holders, he replied "No, that was trash, I threw them out." ( chorus: Oh Nooooo...) There were some nice coins in there (no fingerprints!) but nothing that I had to have. He also had a very interesting 1966 Kennedy Half with colorful obv toning and pure white rev (must have been in an album) that I thought about but eventually passed on as I don't collect Kennedys.
    There were a lot of sellers with cases full of raw coins. I gave some serious consideration to an 1801 half dollar (VG to F) but ultimately decided the difference between the ask and what I could pay was too much. Several dealers had 1803's (raw) but all had problems.
    The Reeded Edge wasn't there this time, I expect they are preparing for Baltimore, but anticipate their return next spring. However, a dealer who was new to the show last year had returned; I purchased some nice coins from him last time and was glad to see he was back. He always has a lot of quality seated material (mainly raw) and I ruminated about buying a raw 1803 half on Saturday, but when I went back on Sunday I settled on a couple of other purchases from him (one of which I will post shortly, one I will put in a GTG thread (not the 1908 Saint). I noticed that in the darkest most remote corner of one of his cases was a 1796 quarter! It was in a details holder, but still...
    Dealers I spoke with were having a good show, especially on Friday. Saturday looked really busy to me, and there were a lot of YN's running around. I also found out about a local shop that I did not know of and will have to visit. Oh, no Trade Dollars that I needed, and I apologize for not asking about bullion prices.
    I like Barber halves in VF and spotted one in the above dealers case that appealed to me. NGC 20
    barber half 1902 obv.jpg barber half 1902 rev.jpg barber half 1902 obv.jpg barber half 1902 rev.jpg

SilverMike, ldhair, Eduard and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

sorry about the double image.

4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I was there Sunday. Busy working Friday and went to VT vs Miami Saturday. Where do you live?

5. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Was that dealer Jason out of Colorado? At the last FUN show he had a details 1796 quarter and there just aren't that many of them out there.

Thanks for the show update.

ksparrow likes this.
  6. ksparrow

This dealer divides his time between Texas and Maryland, and calls his business The Broken Cabinet. So there are at least 2 details '96 quarters around!

7. ksparrow

I'm not far from Richmond.

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I’m in Short Pump and @mrbreeze and I were both there Sunday, mostly at Joe Riggs’ table looking at ancients. Are you in the Richmond Coin Club? We both are but rarely get to the meetings.

9. ksparrow

I was in the RCC, briefly. Haven't been to a meeting since the pandemic hit. We should meet up at the spring show.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That’s Ed H. Nice guy. I bought like 20 coins from him at the VA Beach show the weekend before. He has nice type coins, and mostly reasonable prices. Btw I heard a dealer left that Richmond show Sunday and drove to his daughters house for dinner. Apparently he was followed and left his coins and cash in his car. Came out after eating and everything was gone. They even took his show lights! Doug Davis is looking into it and gather info.

11. ksparrow

I agree, nice to work with and reasonable prices. A collector's dealer!
    Sorry to hear about the theft. That MO seems fairly common based on reports I have seen posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted