RIC has wrong obverse inscription for Claudius II no. 189

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I received this Claudius Gothicus Antoninianus as part of a lot of 12 mid-late 3rd century bronzes from Auctiones GmbH latest sale. It's pretty cool and not listed in Sear. While attributing it, I noticed that RIC is in error about the obverse inscription.

Claudius II.jpg

RIC claims the obverse inscription reads IMP CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG.

RIC.JPG

However, on my coin it reads IMP CLAVDIVS CAES AVG.

Cohen reports it reads IMP CLAVDIVS CAES AVG as well.

Cohen.JPG

As does Markl in his article about Claudius II in Numismatische Zeitschrift v. 16, p. 427.

Markl.JPG

There are two explanations. Either

1) RIC is wrong
    2) There are actually two different obverse inscriptions known for this coin.

Does anyone have a copy of this coin with the obverse inscription reading CAESAR, not CAES (RIC correct)??

Mikey Zee, Bing and icerain like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It's probably just an error in RIC. The new RIC online website here notes that it is a mistake and shows 19 examples for "RIC1st 189 corr.". They have two temp numbers for the issue, the distinction being the bust type.

Bing and Roman Collector like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a CAESAR AVG variant of this (or any for that matter) issue of Claudius II. At least none Sylviane Estiot and Jerome Mairat recorded.

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

On all of mine where the legends can be read, all I have is 'IMP CLAVDIVS AVG' (no Caes or Caesar I am afraid).

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I can't find any coins of Gothicus in any of the usual databases with a fully spelled-out CAESAR in the inscription. It's always CAES.

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/search/adv...scription=&Note=&Reference=&page=1&mod=result

RIC V is pretty far out of date and filled with errors of various types. Before asking this question, I suggest researching the revised RIC V-1 online linked above to the 22 types with the CAES legend (no CAESAR). I did not read it all so I don't know if anything is said about the error but I will point out that many, many of the coins shown (you have to click on each of the 22 to see how many they have of each one) are part legend to the point you really can't swear what the legend was. Perhaps there was a coin that RIC V authors saw with fuzzy letters they read as AR and perhaps it was just a typo. I have no idea. Your coin is more clear than most. Congratulations.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Doug, as always.

Draft saved Draft deleted