Revisiting My First Love in My Old Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I
    n recent years, my focus has primarily been on Roman Imperial denarii. However, I cherish revisiting my Judaean coin collection, my first love in ancient numismatics. The Easter weekend is a special time for me to catalog these coins and delve into the latest insights from David Hendin’s Guide to Biblical Coins. Additionally, I take pleasure in incorporating digital images into my new poster designs, opting for a more streamlined and cleaner looking aesthetic this year compared to previous ones.

CX.jpg
    002JUDGAL.jpg
    003JUDGAL.jpg
    004JUDGAL.jpg
    005JUDGAL.jpg

Your posts are always welcome.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Excellent coins, beautifully presented! Your collection is an inspiration @Deacon Ray !

4. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Outstanding presentation @Deacon Ray
    upload_2024-3-30_10-34-26.png

There are many choice examples in your collection! You have a good eye for coin selection in terms of detail and overall appearance. I could comment positively on several of the coins, but I'll limit it to just two:

1. I love that you included the Antiochus VII Helmet/Aphlaston small bronze which recent research has confirmed was produced in Jerusalem, and hence is a biblical coin. (Many still view it as per its older attribution as being from the Ascalon/Ashqelon mint.) This is a type that truly belongs in ancient biblical coin collections.

2. I also love the obverse of the Hyrcanus I prutah, Hendin 6171 6th ed., due to the absolute complete inscription. Nice! From the 'A' at the top as the 1st line all the way down to the 5th line it's centered and readable. I spent about 2 years of keeping-an-eye-out for such an example, and only recently found one. Although the type is rightly deemed as 'Common', examples with complete inscriptions are (imo) nothing short of 'Rare'.

Anyway... again... OUTSTANDING! :)

Cheech9712 and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I would collect those too. Another piece to the puzzle. Nice

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So cool

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Easter and Passover are so widely apart this year.......

8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I didn't know a collection of prutoh could look so good! I have one of the Caesaraea Maritima Judaea Capta types at the moment, Yours is better than mine...

cm.jpeg

SAMARIA, Caesarea Maritima.
    Domitian, AD 81-96.
    AE22, 8.3g, 12h.
    Obv.: DOMITIANVS CAES AVG GERMANICVS; Laureate bust left.
    Rev.: Minerva standing left erecting trophy and holding spear and shield
    Ref.: Meshorer 392.

10. Mikenwuf

Mikenwuf Active Member

I love this collection, thanks for posting it.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted