Review: For "Fans" of Caracalla

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, May 8, 2017.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A few months ago I brought to the attention of this board an ancient history magazine, Ancient Warfare Magazine. I used to buy it from the gas station at my last base, but it's unavailable on my new one, so I went ahead and subscribed to the digital version ($20 annually/6 issues). Anyway, while I was on the website I decided to check the other publications, and there is a magazine that would probably be of interest to the board, Ancient History Magazine and particular interest to me was Issue 2, titled The Disastrous Reign of Caracalla: Tyrant, Traveler, and Administrator.

This is the first Ancient History Magazine I have read, but from reading the Ancient Warfare and Medieval Warfare magazines, I knew what to expect. From the publisher's website, "Ancient History Magazine is written for an informed, but casual audience." The magazine is full of colorful illustrations with plenty of photographs. Each issue focuses on one subject with articles exploring different angles using primary sources and the latest research. Many articles have a section at the end called Further Reading which addresses primary and useful secondary sources.

The coinage of Caracalla is an area of concentration in my collection, so I immediately read the article "Caracalla's Coins: The Advice of Severus as Reflected in Coinage" written by Oliver Hoover, the Adjunct Curator of the American Numismatic Society. Using the advice of Severus to his sons to "be on good terms with one another, be generous to the soldiers, and don't care about anything else" Hoover illustrates how this advice, recorded by Cassius Dio, plays out in the coinage. I won't spoil it for you, but Hoover has some pretty harsh judgments about Severus' advice.

The next article I jumped into was "A Face for Caracalla: Reconstructing an Emperor's Facial Features" by author Paul van der Heijden. From the beginning van der Heijden lists and evaluates the sources for Caracalla's face and appearance. He even neatly combined and summarized the primary written sources into one paragraph of 120 words. Combining the written sources, the sculptures, and contemporary paintings two artists provide their take on his actual appearance. After seeing the renditions, it’s hard to disagree with van der Heijden’s closing remark about the portraits that, “this brings the emperors closer to us, closer than otherwise would be possible.”

Some of the articles included in this issue are “A Palace for the People: Imperial Self-Promotion and the Baths,” “Unperson: Caracalla Erases the Past,” and “The Love of Julia Domna: Surviving and Saving the Severan Dynasty.” I would recommend this magazine to all lovers of ancient history, particularly if you’re looking for more than just warfare. As a collector of ancient coins and a student of history, these magazines help show me just exactly how numismatics are useful as a primary source.

[​IMG]

Link the website: https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/ancient-history-magazine

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Of all the emperors, I believe that Caracalla is the best one for a face study simply because of the amount of material available. Constantius II was around twice as long but the formalized portraits of his day make it a lot harder. Some of the best Caracalla faces certainly did come from the provincials as shown in Jwt's Pautalia above.
    Tomis as Caesar
    pm1275fd3294.jpg
    Pautalia
    pm1310bb2100.jpg
    Serdica
    pm1360bb2320.jpg
    Caesarea as Caesar
    pm1370b01493.JPG
    Antioch
    pm1385bb3030.jpg
    Alexandria
    pa1500fd3427.jpg

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I too find this period in history fascinating. My contribution is this:

Caracalla, AE28 of Nikopolis ad Istrum. Obverse: bust of Caracalla, Reverse: Zeus seated left holding patera and sceptre

IMG_20170508_102540.jpg IMG_20170508_102558.jpg

5. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

I was in Italy a took some pictures of him..I just met him at the Arno river........... 20170415_094239.jpg 20170415_094248.jpg 20170415_094308.jpg

6. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

and another from I made a picture of off less beardy 20170416_122854.jpg

dlhill132, Andres2, Smojo and 10 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this is a neat young portrait of him on this coin....

[​IMG]

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I should mention that I purchased a digital copy of the magazine for $4.34 and subscribed to the other. I will probably buy another issue or two before deciding to subscribe.

10. ancient coin hunter

I picked up that magazine at a newstand in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, pretty darn interesting. I haven't seen it up here in the Bay Area yet. Maybe I should subscribe.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very interesting, and great coins all.

gregarious likes this.
  12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks @Jwt708 ! Caracalla's coins are one of the non-medieval areas I enjoy delving into and I've been looking for more information on him. I'll pick this up later tonight if it's available in digital form.

gregarious likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can buy it digitally! That's how I got mine and it was $4.34, available for immediate download.

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks for the information regarding "Ancient History Magazine". I have just read a sample and am seriously considering a subscription.

gregarious likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice!! ... Caracalla is always one of my favourite ruler-threads ...

=> I have a youngin' and a mature example ... both very cool

Caracalla Galley.jpg Caracalla bulls.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for the opportunity to post 'em, JWT

emoticon cheers too.gif

16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Gosh, those are two wonderful coins! Both the portrait and reverse on the second is especially eye-catching!

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

stevex6 likes this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

stevex6 likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The magazine sounds interesting, thanks for the review!

I've always loved Caracalla's coins (both imperial and provincial) for the variety of portraits one finds on them.

IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7817.JPG
    IMG_7818.JPG

20. ancient coin hunter

Here's the guy who engineered the downfall of Caracalla. Rumor has it that Macrinus was on the hit list and he acted first to prevent his own slaying by persuading some cavalry soldiers to carry out the deed....
    macrinus1.jpg

macrinus2.jpg

21. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

my first Roman coin was a denarius of Caracalla. I used a scanner to take a picture and scanned it upside down, so the light was going the wrong way.

caracalla (1).jpeg

dlhill132, gregarious, Orfew and 11 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted