Reversed Proofs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by davdo, Sep 2, 2019.

1. davdo

davdo Senior Member

I am thinking about starting a specialized 'reversed proof' set. Does anyone have a complete list of the reverse proofs that the Mint has put out or know where to get one? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Reputed (reputable) dealers and the mint. Other than that, you're on your own. I, myself, love these things, but most unenlightened collectors don't.......

davdo likes this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

This list should prove helpful regarding some of the earlier reverse proof coins. However, for more recent releases, I'd consult mint release schedules from 2015 to the present or a relatively current copy of the Redbook.

https://collectuscoins.com/reverse-proofs

davdo likes this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Technically they are proofs with reverse frosting/mirrors. "Proof" is a means of manufacture - polished planchets and dies, struck at least twice at high pressure.
    The Redbook should have them listed.

6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, this was actually discussed on the PCGS forum a little over a week ago. See the link for the list. It doesn’t explicitly list every date and mintmark, but it does say something to the extent of “5 ASEs, 5 presidential dollars, etc.” They came to a total of 28 reverse proof coins minted since 2006 (including the upcoming palladium coin). I pointed out that they overlooked the 2019-S Kennedy that was in the Apollo half dollar set, so I guess that makes 29 total coins.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1024721/whos-got-all-28-of-the-reverse-proof-coins

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Hopefully the mint doesn't start putting out so much reverse cameo (I also hate the term "Reverse Proof") material that you burn out on it or feel forced to buy coins you don't like.

If you do the registry thing, you could contact the TPG registry people and see if they'll make a special set for this.

8. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Thanks for the answers Guys! Very helpful. The 'precious metal' ones will probably not make their way into my collection. Now to figure out how to 'display' or 'keep' them--album, slabs, etc. Thanks again!!

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

More notably on the subversive " forced to buy coins you don't like". Any collector who does that is a fool indeed. Collect only what it is you like, not what you think others will like. It's a waste of good money otherwise........

LakeEffect likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that the Reverse Proof coins are mostly ugly, so I don't own very many of them. I have few because the set they were in interestted me, but I don't go out of my way to buy them.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Do the reverse cameo coins have the same laser etched lizard skin cameo that regular proofs have? Or has mint technology moved away from this appearance? I'll be honest, I haven't looked closely at a modern proof in a long time.

BW Cameo comparison.jpg

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

That "snakeskin" finish started with the 2006 reverse cameo ASE, and was eventually rolled out to everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted