Reverse proof Roosevelt dime most significant coin of century.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, May 4, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Not a bad play... but... you could sell that 5th set and really get ahead.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Ever wonder why some just have to rain on your parade, even when proven profits exist? No matter how wrong they are they spread their poop all over the place. Must have something to do with a bad childhood.

V. Kurt Bellman and Blissskr like this.
  4. statequarterguy

A formidable list, the key dates for many modern series - could have included some ASE's in there too, 1995-w, 2011, 2012, 2013 sets. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  5. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

You can have mine for$2500 technically I don't have it but I am sure my friend bought it :D

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

7. statequarterguy

Doesn't sell out? I doubt it, but even if it doesn't, just means lower mintage and larger potential profits years from now, if/when demand increases. The nice thing about these super low mintages is, it doesn't take much increase in demand for them to take off.

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

IMO, $40 bucks would be the bottom

9. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Coin of the century? Must be some real dogs coming out the next 85 years...:D

Of the 52,540 that sold the first day how many went to flippers/dealers? I'd say 45,000 at least.

Just checked the Mints website and they HAVE NOT sold out. I would think the "coin of the century" would have sold out by now...:cool:

rzage, Endeavor and dwhiz like this.
  10. I doubt it will be the coin of the century. Keep in mind though that the mint sold out all they had available on Day 1. Many more orders have been placed and are now on back order status. These pending orders will likely sell out the remaining stock and then some. The mint does not post a sell out any longer until current and future stock are depleted and potential returns are accounted for, so this will not sell out officially for quite a while. However, I would bet an order placed on Day 2 has a slim chance of getting filled.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yes, I could have. And while I did get the 1995-W and turned a $4500 profit on selling it out piecemeal, none of the other ASE's made my "gotta do it" list. In fact, this "Roosy" will be only the 3rd reverse proof I will own. The other two are 2014 silver Kennedys. Something about getting wrapped up in ASE "made for collectors" coins gives me the willies. Actually ALL reverse proofs strike me as really dumb. If I could have bought the silver Kennedy set without it, I would have.

On the other hand, special unusual versions of coins that otherwise look like circulating coins? That's what gets my interest. And when the hobby wakes up and realizes Morgans are nothing more than yesteryear's unwanted coins that sat around in bags for decades, and have all the historical commerce panache of a Presidential dollar, the "moderns" will be the new "thing".

12. V. Kurt Bellman

That's what makes the hobby fun. People like you follow trends; people like me try to get in front of them. The "1965 was the end of the world" crowd is now entering cemeteries at alarming rates, and the guys coming up to replace them, to the extent anyone does, couldn't care less about silver content.

13. Endeavor

There is some truth to that but I don't think it is completely accurate. I believe you are underestimating the young crowd's desire for silver.

From my experience, there are more young collectors preferring silver than those indifferent to silver. The biggest difference I see between old and young silver collectors is that the young ones like flashy coins such as proofs, deep cameo, reverse proofs, etc. A lot of them are a product of the social media age we are in where they love posting photos of their bling bling.

Also keep in mind, young collectors don't normally have that much money so they settle a lot for the more affordable clad coins. As they get older and more established financially they will gravitate to more expensive coins of precious metal composition.

Another thing that changes with age/wisdom is the lessening desire to own mass produced flashy coins. That's why you see today's old timers buying/desiring very old coins (late 1700's thru early 1800's) that look absolutely atrocious (visually speaking), but are truly unique. I've noticed uniqueness/rarity is something that is more appreciated or desired with age.

Dancing Fire and rzage like this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

What you say is mostly true, but (and I've opined on this before) I see a generation coming that thinks ancient history is anything before the iPhone came out. They consider a PlayStation original as a relic of a long lost age. Anything that predates themselves is dismissed with a wave of a hand. I see a generation so utterly self-obsessed that to them a coin with a date starting with a "1" is not modern. Why is this? Well, for starters, they were never taught history, at least those who went to public schools. History was replaced by NEA-devised political indoctrination. I saw it myself in my kid's IEP (individualized educational program). There was no appreciation or even much mention of what "normally educated people" would call history.

Anti-Federal Reserve anti-fiat money discussion and values was utterly absent. Those guys are dying off. (And it's a good thing, too. It's all just John Birch Society tripe anyway.)

I know a lot of people don't believe my "these kids are just fundamentally mutants" rant, but I believe it with every fibre of my being. These young adults today are more different than all that came before them than any generation ever in history. The "flower children" were amateur world-changers. These rugrats are the pros.

My kid now votes and he never lived while the Soviet Union existed. Think about that.

Endeavor likes this.
  15. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Mintage is high. Morons will be snatching these up on ebay for big bucks for a little while. Smart folks will be flipping them as fast as possible before the hype fades.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Endeavor

Things are changing fast and getting faster. It's interesting. I was born well before the iphone but I can envision today's kids seeing things just before their time as being somewhat ancient. I guess it has to do with the capabilities of technology and the compounding rate it has been progressing at - along with lack of history education (which I don't know to be true or not. I imagine this also changes from school region to school region).

You do bring up an interesting topic though. Is teaching history a dying subject because the world is progressing at the fastest pace ever so history (even recent history) is not perceived as that important???

17. statequarterguy

Mintage is high? How many 1916-d's are still around?

18. Endeavor

Not really sure where you're going with this comparison, but if you are implying since there are many 1916-D's available then this reverse roosie should be very sought after then that is simply not factual. Similar availability doesn't mean similar popularity or value.

The 1916-D is a nearly 100 year old circulation strike with distribution among all grades. This reverse roosie is newly released with all in very high grade.

It is possible though. So naysayers can't say for sure either.

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Coin Facts says 10,000 in all grades.

How many 2015's will be circulated?

spirityoda likes this.
  20. statequarterguy

That's all we can hope for with a new release, POTENTIAL. With 500,000,000, there's little to no potential, with 75,000 there's huge potential, depending on demand. And, the fact remains, in all grades there's less of these dimes than 1916-d's.

21. statequarterguy

Have a link? Very hard to believe only 10k, I would think most were saved.

Draft saved Draft deleted