Reverse proof Roosevelt dime most significant coin of century.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, May 4, 2015.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly unless the album manufactures decide to include them in the next update. The 50 and 51 proofs are not unique as far as albums are concerned; they and the business strikes are both from Philadelphia. Coins of the century may be overstating it a bit though.

I bought a set purely to keep my proofs up to date, but I don't see any real long term upside unless they get included in albums in the future.

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

What's so unique about these that are more so than the early 50's proofs ? Mintage is about the same , same design .

4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

The coin of the century will be one that no one expects. It's not going to be a coin everyone is hoarding and talking about right from the start.

They may "only" mint 75,000 of these, but in 20 years 90% of those will still be in high grade as they sit protected in cases and in storage.

As for value, rarity will always be the driving force. I know some of you will say coin of the century doesn't have to be valuable, only popular, but lets be real here... most people buying these sets are looking for a profit at some point in the future. And that's why it won't be COTC.

5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Different finishes like the reverse proofiness, addition of a varying mint mark, and the fact that they are silver when silver wasn't used for circulating coins.

That's at least what I find different and appealing about the coin. Not to mention it will be a must have for anyone wanting a 'complete set' of either all the roosevelts ever minted or even just the proof runs, or a silver proof run.

I suspect it will also bolster sales of some of those early proofs too. Possibly get new collectors on roosevelts which may end up looking for those early coins too.

I'm not gonna lie, it made me look. I've always wanted to do a graded set of silver Roosies and now may be as good of a time to start as any, at least I'll start with one of the most desirable proof issues. I mean who doesn't love a reverse proof?

6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

What are you talking about.....you loved every minute of it!!!!

rzage and C-B-D like this.
  7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I just got suckered into buying 10 sets. I have never ordered any coins from the mint in the past. IMO, never a good idea to buy anything that they made yesterday.

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

10. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

52,540 sold in first 12 hours.

C-B-D, spirityoda and bkozak33 like this.
  11. Endeavor

The mint is really making a quick dime.

spirityoda and spock1k like this.
  12. Mine shipped today! TC

13. Outlaw

Outlaw Senior Member

mine has also shipped

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

You don't like Tom (short term)

He seems nice to me.....

:bag:

rzage, Kirkuleez and KoinJester like this.
  15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Oh Yeah!

I see a point in the future where all 75,000 owners will get together annually at a TGI Friday's to eat, drink and celebrate their good fortune's in being proud owners of this piece!

4Party.gif

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I think (perhaps hope) he was referring to the JFK gold coin

17. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

These pieces (minus the proof dollar) belong in the same category as the 2014 Kennedy high relief non-golds, the 1998-S Matte Kennedy half, the 1994 and 1997 matte nickels, the 1996-W dime, and the 2014-D enhanced Sac. All were and are lower priced "add-ons" to other stuff that should appreciate nicely but are not going to make anyone rich. How many "Roosy" collectors are out there? I don't know and neither does anyone else. I suspect it's far more than people who collect mostly Morgans would ever believe. Morgans bore the heck out of me.

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Regardless of the future of this set. I wanted one. I didn't want to shell out $67.00 including shipping for one. So I bought 5, sold 4 to cover my costs, and made an extra $30.00. I'm not collecting this because I think it's going to be the next gold eagle set. I liked it and free is a very good price for me.

Anytime I can buy 5 of something and turn 4 of them to give me a small profit and a free 1 for my collection is a winner in my book.

19. Dancing Fire

Piece of something, but piece of what?..:D

20. Dancing Fire

I rather be bored with a better date Morgan than Roosi dimes or any other modern coins.

21. Endeavor

That sounds about right. They will be eating at TGIF's cause they will be too broke to go somewhere nice. :D

spock1k likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted