Reverse proof Roosevelt dime most significant coin of century.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, May 4, 2015.

1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Page 25!

What beautiful wares will the US Mint create for us next?

I'm sure they are hard at work. ;)

[​IMG]

benhur767 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

The chimp is doing it all wrong. His dies are misaligned!!!

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Calling all error and variety collectors! The stage is yours. But don't monkey with the thread. Sorry, too easy.

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Actually, I'm not assuming much of anything, and I'm certainly not pitting one coin against another. I am using a current example of a comparable product.

My points are that the mintage for the EU NA Dollar is smaller and that the coins have already been dispersed.

The rising prices are the product of market forces being applied by people who want one (or more) of these coins. Their only source is the secondary market, not the Mint, like the Roosevelts.

The difference between them and the Roosevelt Dimes is that the Dimes are still available from the Mint and therefore can be ordered by anyone.

Key dates or not, it is only after all of a mintage has been dispersed that we'll truly see whether or not demand will drive prices up.

Until then, it's a bubble that can be burst by the Mint releasing the rest of the mintage into the market.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Update, Mike. Now a sellout.

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, it sold out in about one week. It took that long because they went to an August backorder a couple hours into sales.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

image.jpg What are these EU NA dollars going for? It's the only one I bought extras of since the 1994 ASE proof.

9. statequarterguy

Raw sets: $50 to $60. Will they go higher? SQGuy says yes.

Even so, I like the dimes better, whole different demand. The old timers that come into the shop say, "Eh" to the NA dollars, but they want a dime set, guess it's because they know Roosies.

10. mikenoodle

I was unaware of this fact, however, there are still unfulfilled orders, and so the supply has not been completely distributed.

Typically, once the item has been dispersed, the flippers flip their supplies and then the market takes over.

Sometimes, the market goes up, sometimes down. Sometimes it takes years to shake itself all of the way out.

A good example being the 1999 Silver Proof set which was limited to 2 sets per household and sold (for years) at over $300 until they have now settled at less than half of that.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Sick. And my one NGC SP69? I seriously never look. image.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  12. statequarterguy

Yeah, the big question is how many not filled yet? Some estimated 50k were ready to go, but, will the mint tell you, nooooooooooooooo.

The 1999 silver proof set, eh, whole different animal than these limited dime sets.

13. mikenoodle

I've seen them go for all kinds of different prices.

I thought these two auctions were interesting:

One sold for $32.95 (certified)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-D-Nati...108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa94cba54

and one for $39.95 (raw)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-D-1-Native-American-Enhanced-Uncirculated-Dollar-from-Coin-Currency-Set-/221765736728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a2449918&nma=true&si=QbST3caZGJORoV9m%2Fv1%2B6hQAzxc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and of course, many have sold for much more than that, but nobody said that everyone is a good shopper.

14. mikenoodle

SQG, as much as I respect your (different) opinion as well as your love of modern coins (which I share), if you ignore how the coins are distributed, you'll mistake some losers for winners and overpay.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Well Mike, at "only 67" that first link IS a condition rarity, and not in a good way.

16. statequarterguy

Well, that first one sold for too much, at MS67, that's as good as a damaged coin when the majority grade 68 or 69.

17. statequarterguy

Sure, distribution is important initially. Over the long run most issues will be distributed to many collectors - I tend to look more at the long run.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Then you're foregoing a lot of profit, Mr. Part Time Flipper. How did you play the baseball coins? Louis Galino, on another site, swore that one was going straight up and got really annoyed with me when he felt I was harshing his buzz over them.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

The second link Mike posted above doesn't come with the Loopy Lew signed FRN, the clear star of the set, right? :rolleyes:

20. statequarterguy

Nah, I buy if I think the moon is possible long term. For example, this dime set, I'm not going to flip them for a net $20 profit, too much work. The baseball coins? Who knows. They are a unique coin, but the mintage is high. Will the uniqueness garner enough future demand to cause price increases? Who knows. I bought a few of each of the uncs to sit on. I'll speculate if the moon is possible, doesn't have to be probable.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

A lot sitting in signature slabs in Minshull's inventory.

Draft saved Draft deleted