Reverse proof Roosevelt dime most significant coin of century.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, May 4, 2015.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

What is the source of so much venom? What is up with this? These types of coins have been around for years now, and they are neither world beaters nor dogs. They do respectably, but nothing spectacular. I don't understand the nastiness.

I will say that any analysis of the availability of 1916-D dimes "in the market" needs to be mentally adjusted for the number of fakes out there - by some estimates, there are more fakes than real ones.

I have now been to three auctions in which a 1916-D was pulled because it was a fake.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Just a note:

I agree with this.....

I was that young pup taught by his father to do Nickel collection books, and boy did I look long and hard for that final collection. I remember my dad even searched for nickels to fill out that book and we finally did it. It was a glorious day. We also did Pennies, Dimes, and Quarters (Dimes were way less enjoyable for some reason.

Life takes over for young adults like myself, life has gotten too busy for me to be focused on my hobby. That being said, I just so happen to have a collection of a Dinosaur being a young adult and my problem is space. I don't have room for all of these coins nor the liability.

I respect the beauty and history of numismatic coins and hopefully one day I will be able to share that bond I had with my father with my child.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, I got bored and schlepped down to the post office to pick up my Mint shipments that have been sitting there, some for two weeks. Got one 2015 Silver Proof Set (on subscription), one 2015 March of Dimes Silver Dollar (frosty BU, not proof), and one 2015 March of Dimes Special Silver Set (Special? As in "short bus" special?).

Gotta say, repetition has not relieved reverse proof coins of their inherent curse of pointless contrivance. They do it .... because they can. There can be no other reason. They serve no purpose, unlike regular proofs - which are the ultimate reflection (pun not intended) of the designer's vision. These reverse proofs are "demonstration products", not of the coiner's art, but of a Swiss CNC machine's digital capabilities. I thought that had been demonstrated decades ago. The reverse proof looks so, so, so, ... Canadian!

And hey, how many velvets had to die to make those clamshell cases, anyway?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Translation: They are ugly. :cigar:

6. V. Kurt Bellman

OTOH, the higher relief, and subtle field curvature, on the 2015 Kennedy makes a very nice silver proof! :pompous:

The field on the Jefferson nickel looks "warped" near Jeffersons left curl (right, as we look at it).

Hey, new variety! Warped field 2015 Jeff proof! You can buy mine for $500. Quick, before they go to the MOON!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm both, if the price took off, I'd sell a few, but always keep a few.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

/sigh Another potential good guy, led astray.

9. statequarterguy

LOL, I'm a market maker. I started buying and selling long ago. MY first "big" flip was in 1974, with the 1974-s cents, which were suppose to be limited until Mint Director, Mary Brookes, was "appalled at the speculation" and doubled the production. The grocery store were I worked got new boxes of these, so I bought them for face value, $25/box and sold them for $5/roll to dealers up & down the S.F. Peninsula. It was a little tougher than that, there was a penny shortage at the time, so I had to find boxes of cents to trade with the store. Well, that lasted for a few months, until the bubble burst with the announcement the Mint would do a full run of 74-s cents, but I did manage to flip a lot of rolls and I was hooked.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

image.jpg
    So YOU'RE the guy. Has the FBI stopped tailing you yet? Have you tried to get on an airliner lately? I was just out in the Bay Area in March. I could have sworn I saw wanted posters.

Hey, maybe you know. On the south side of the current San Francisco Mint, there's a sign that says "PARK AT 90 DEGREES". What do people do on cool days?

11. statequarterguy

Hey, nothing wrong with profiting a little from a hobby, the Feds (IRS) with IRC 183 tell you how to handle a hobby. Most of the speculation I do today is for the longer run, I'm not flipping these dime sets on eBay for a net $20 profit - I bought five and may sell a couple someday if I think the price is right.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah? Good luck with that. It looks like the only way to profit lately is the "hit em quick, hit em hard" method. Then everything quiets down. Baseball coins come to mind?

13. statequarterguy

Yep, some steep hills in S.F. That may be the street where I learned how to use the parking brake with a clutch to get started after a stop.

14. statequarterguy

Yeah, like you said, often the price follows a bell curve, yet settles higher than issue price. It's the "calm" after the price settles when the price may continue to climb due to new demand. There will be winners & losers. Some have potential, some don't. These dimes have long term potential.

Another good reason to buy more than you want is quality/grade. Buy five sets, maybe get one or two 70 sets, dump the rest.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, I don't want a Hot Apple Pie, but I wish you had French Fries with Gravy!

Chris

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Gravy..... gravy? Seriously? How about Pittsburgh's favorite theatrical blood, my good sir?

17. cpm9ball

Pittsburgh? Never lived there, but my Dad was born in nearby Uniontown in 1915.

In the DC area, we used to get our French fries with gravy at the Hot Shoppes from girls on roller skates.

Chris

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Curious, where would gravy come from in a frozen patty burger joint? Jus' sayin'. I was previously obviously referring to the essential fries accompaniment, Heinz Ketchup. The steel industry cometh and goeth away, yet Heinz stayed, .... and bought up Kraft, too.

19. cpm9ball

Hot Shoppes wasn't just a burger joint. Inside, they catered to the families for dinner, while outside at the drive-in, were us hell-raisers.

I'll have to admit that ff w/gravy was an idea some of my high school buddies and I dreamed up. It became so popular, that Hot Shoppes put it on their menu.

I confess that I was also to blame for Kady's Restaurant at the Riviera in Vegas putting it on their menu in 1998.

Ketchup is just too blah. Gravy is great!

Chris

20. V. Kurt Bellman

LOL. Then either I'm getting the wrong gravy, or you're getting the wrong ketchup.

21. statequarterguy

I like to mix it up, different dips & toppings. Here, in the west, the biggy is chili cheese fries. It's my heart that screams, stop, give me a break.

Draft saved Draft deleted