Reverse proof Roosevelt dime most significant coin of century.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, May 4, 2015.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There's a reason for things, Kurt. Talk to the kids. They're smart as a whip, and they're catching on. The nitwits you see from time to time on these and the other coin forums are but a small, unrepresentative sampling, not even enough to fill a creditable survey, statistically-insignificant. They're just the loudest voices, that's all. I've talked to too many of the YNs to not know. They're very intellectual, at that age. The only thing they lack is the emotional maturity to see the forest for the trees, which comes from experience, and that's where an odd old bone lol like I fit in.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh, I'm just giving it to you with playful ridicule. I'm just trying to show you I think you're way, way off base. Sorry, OK?

4. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

My backordered sets shipped Tuesday....

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I agree with a lot of that. I've had cause to bring up lately one of my favorite lines - Never confuse the loudest voices with the most numerous ones. (Kind of puts voice votes in a different light, doesn't it?) I agree also about the quality of some of our YN's, but they seem so "schooled" or "mentored" or even "led around by the nose" at such unbelievably tender ages that I sometimes wonder if I might be observing the result of a parent living vicariously through their kid. I'm going to post one photo from Portland that possibly could be that. (I don't know the family's story; I'm just worried a little.)

But on balance regarding quantity, this hobby is in "heap big doo doo", just about hanging on the precipice of being overrun by bullionists on one hand, and the irretrievably banal on the other.

I see the little kids, and the adults. I see the mega-advanced collectors, and I see the State Quarter map fillers. What I don't see are the "tweeners", and that scares me.

image.jpg

What I especially don't see are young adults who are committed to the numismatic field for anything other than a quick flip job on limited release issues.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

It's all good. One way to know the current attitudes about proofs would be to compare sales figures of Danscos of the 7000 vs. 8000 series. Got any idea? I don't, except all mine are 8000's except the ASE's, and that's because I refuse to put proof .999 ANYTHING in albums. OGP only. I even add pages to my Danscos to include pre San Fran proofs.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You bring an angle to these issues that deserves deference, Kurt. I'm not intending that as condescending. I picked up on the background you bring to these issues in these threads. You say it how you feel it is. Just keep it up, and we're going places. I'm talking about in our understanding of these issues. We back down, I may just as well be talking to my lovely wife, she never listens to anything I say, anyway. :D

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Hey, maybe my basic problem is my collecting started with proofs, back in 1963. Only later did I dabble with business strikes, and I didn't get truly serious about business strikes until my adult years.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There's the difference, right there. It's why we can't speak for one another, much less, really, speak for "the market." Don't you just love it when people purport to do that? Yeah, right, so you know everybody in the market, huh? You must be one popular fellow, lol. Surmise, that's different. Oh, my goodness, now I used a big word. "Surmise," what a big word for such a tiny brain! :D

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Then I got turned onto Cameo Proofs of the 50's and 60's. Thanks, Rick Tomaska. (Ultimate marketing job, right?)

Yeah, you nailed it. There is no singular coin market, and there hasn't been for a long time. I was reminded of that again when I saw the promotion of Canadian colorized Looney Tunes coins. Looney Tunes and colorized made for collectors coins with no circulating analog? Yup, sounds like a marriage made in heaven. :rolleyes:

eddiespin likes this.
  11. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Coins made for collectors (way too many variations on proofs, commemeratives for all sorts of special interests, etc.) are not "real" coins. Business strikes that are minted and distributed to the public for face value and for use in commerce are "real" coins and are the only ones that interest me.

Yes I have proofs, but I never bought one! They're all gifts and I am seriously always thinking about trading them in for "real" coins. To fill those holes in my 7000 series Danscos.

Blah blah blah. Collect your collection and don't begrudge or disparage anyone else the right to collect their own collection the way they want to.

eddiespin likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Actually, this is all I'm about, too. In a nut. You represented me well on it. :)

Hope1275 and bdunnse like this.
  13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Ever wonder what it is? Do modern collectors attempt to take over classic coin threads, telling those that like those coins what a fool they are? Must be a character flaw developed during childhood.

I mean we could tell them what a terrible deal that Morgan is, very little price movement, if they have to sell they'll take a loss, how ugly Liberty is, etc., etc. But no, we let them collect what they want and respect their choices.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    V. Kurt Bellman and Paul M. like this.
  14. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I totally disagree. These dimes are American classics- like it or not. Coke Mickey Mouse and the reverse proof dime.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If so many were saved then why is such a high percentage of the surviving population in AG-3?

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would also offer that given the opinions expressed in this thread about mintage, distribution and demand, that the enhanced uncirculated Native American Dollar coin has both of these Roosevelt Dimes beaten.

spock1k likes this.
  17. statequarterguy

I didn't say what condition they were saved in. Yes, a few dealers hoarded them, which accounts for many of the ms coins, clearly the rest were picked from circulation over many years, so some were destroyed, but I doubt many. Maybe the fact that there are a lot of AG3's around indicates that they circulated and were not destroyed.

Here's an indicator for you. Even though the 16-d has been around 100 years, so the majority have been absorbed into collections (i.e. off the market), there are 244 listings for them on eBay. That's more listings than these two 2015 dimes and they were just issued.

18. statequarterguy

You're assuming the same demand? That NA Dollar hasn't been hurt by these dimes and is doing better than them so far, it's still up about 400%. It appears the Mint is offering keys for many modern series, maybe all by the time they're done. No need to pit one coin against another - they're all keys for their series. I'm grabbing all of them.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

The reason the 1916-D dimes are tough in MS but the Philly and San Francisco aren't is because collecting by mint mark pretty much started after 1916. Date sets were the style, not date and mint mark. When the mint mark fascination happened, all collectors could do is grab them out of circulation, and found they weren't all that easy to find. Remember, silver coins are way softer than clad ones. It didn't take long in circulation to wear them pretty severely.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Question: why do you even KNOW the relative prices of the NA Sac enhanced dollar vs. the new dimes? Why are you watching it? It will do what it will do, whether you're watching it daily or not. Or maybe you're not a collector and you're a flipper?

eddiespin likes this.
  21. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Bring on page 24....

[​IMG]

Rassi, Danr and eddiespin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted