Revamped HJB site launched

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Volodya, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I very seldom wear my HJB hat here--almost all of my posts pertain to general info or to my own collection--so perhaps I can be forgiven a rare exception. After quite literally years of effort, the HJB website has been completely revamped. It's really pretty, light and airy and easy to navigate, without the "dark" look people griped about. In addition to typical aspects of a commercial site, it features among other things scans of every catalogue the firm has ever issued. That's pretty cool and helpful.

(At this point some of you are muttering "wait wait, I thought Phil finally retired?!" Well, I seem to have unretired at least for awhile. Don't ask, it's complicated!)

Anyway: https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Deacon Ray, Cucumbor, Jwt708 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Very nice! I like it MUCH better...

Volodya likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I agree. It is much easier to navigate now. It looks great!

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm glad they've improved their site! The old site was so bad that sometimes I didn't even bother to browse the auctions.

Nicholas Molinari and dougsmit like this.
  6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

This is indeed a massive improvement! I'm very glad to see HJB moving into the 21st century of web design!

Volodya likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No search feature?

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Click the magnifying glass. It brings up a search box.

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

HJB was one of the first dealers I purchased an ancient coin from over a dozen years ago. I'm glad to see the website is finally updated! Looks good too.

Volodya likes this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

They still have a ways to go. Their next acceptable bid list only yields ask prices.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like it, better then the old way.

12. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Much improved, now it's enjoyable.

13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

It is a great improvement, but the "next acceptable bid" is the buy price if there has been no bid, not the next acceptable bid. The part that looks like a drop-down menu to skip to a different page does not work (near where is says there are 17 pages). I got it to skip by typing in the page number.

The "back" button does not work correctly. When I am on page 13, click on a coin to get the view of that individual coin, and then hit "back" it returns to page 1, not page 13.

Overall, it is far better than it used to be.

Volodya likes this.
  14. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I'll look into it tomorrow Warren.

15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Thanks for your comments on the site. I looked into the glitches you note. The "next acceptable" issue was indeed a problem, but it has been corrected. It displays properly for me. Try clearing your cache; if that doesn't solve it, please give me a couple of examples and I'll look further.

The back button does behave as you say. Note that the internal back button on the page itself does work properly, but you're right, the primary back button on the browser takes you back to the home page. Unfortunately, that's not as easy a fix as it appears because it involves the coding on each page. I know the present structure is a bit counter-intuitive, but it seems we'll have to live with it, at least for awhile. Hopefully that modest learning curve won't dissuade collectors from enjoying the site.

Phil

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well I'm out couch with you movers and shakers in this hobby - I had no idea you were affiliated with the company. Thanks for the update!

Volodya likes this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the library, but atlas its still work-in-progress:

HJB Library Internal Error. Database handle not defined.
    Error Message: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Please contact DSAL and include the Error Message

Volodya likes this.
  18. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Is there no way to open the link for a given coin in a new tab?

19. JeffsRealm

JeffsRealm Active Member

That was my first thing I noticed as well. When looking at coins, I look through the general listing then pop open the ones I am interest in in different tabs. Then depending what I am doing I group similar tabs together or order them by date etc. Having 3 monitors I drag them across monitors to get a better comparison.

Edited to add, if you never done this. Just view this thread, Taking your mouse down over the members names in the thread on the left, click the center button, or mouse wheel. Mouse Wheel not only scrolls up and down but clicks as the 3rd mouse button. You will see new tabs opening each tabs shows the member pages. This is how I shop for coins too. Let me flip between multiple coins I am considering really fast rather than using back buttons.

Volodya, Paul M. and TIF like this.
  20. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I think it looks great and already shot an email to Aaron earlier congratulating them on it.

Volodya likes this.
  21. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I agree, opening in a new tab would be helpful. We'll look into it.

Dougmeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted