Returning to Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Old World Coins, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Old World Coins

Old World Coins Well-Known Member

I just got back into coins recently after a long hiatus. I figured I would share a few of mine higher end pieces. I look forward to learning from everyone and seeing your pieces.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Welcome back, rather neat looking toning on the second coin.

Inspector43 and Old World Coins like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Welcome back and great coins. I like the tetradrachm best.

Old World Coins likes this.
  5. Old World Coins

Thank you. I have about 10 tets to date. I have always liked the thicker coins.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What changes have you noted over the 'long' time? Do you see anything in the hobby that has improved?

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

At first I was like "oooh that's a nice Probus!"...then I scrolled down and was like "oooh I REALLY like that Pius!"

I really like the 3rd one also but I am terrible at identifying these. Something Egyptian, billon tetradrachm I am assuming.
    Can someone clue me in as to who it is?

8. Old World Coins

I think the hobby has excelled in the ways of the internet and online information and sales but I also believe that this has hurt many businesses that chose not to or couldn't adapt. Being I collect not only ancients but also US and world coins I can help but have noticed the huge swath of counterfeit pieces that have entered the market of all areas and its damage to the field with the lack of government(s) controlling them. Then again having the laws and enforcement are two different animals.

dougsmit likes this.
  9. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Love the Antoninus Pius denarius. Welcome back to the fold!

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome back and good hunting.

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think the tet is Carinus. Nice coins.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No. Look at the obverse legend. It begins AVTK which is the title equivalent in Greek to IMP C. Following that is the ruler name in Greek. The second letter is lambda or Greek L which looks like A without the crossbar in the middle. Two more letters over we see delta or D in Greek. The last three letters are CEB using C which is termed the 'lunate Sigma' and is what we call S. Greek used K for what we call a hard C and sigma (including the then popular lunate form, for S and the sibilant C (as in celery) CEB abbreviates Sebastos which is Greek for Augustus. Teach ffivn the Greek alphabet and ask him what ruler of the period this is. Carinus would be KAPINOC. What is this coin?
    This is my Carinus but he used an MA for Marcus Aurelius between A(autocrator) K(Kaisar) and the K starting his name.
    pa2676fd1409.jpg
    These take a little practice but it will come with a little learning of the Greek letter forms.

svessien, DonnaML, Pellinore and 4 others like this.
  13. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The tet is Claudius Gothicus.
    Barry Murphy

Justin Lee and Old World Coins like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like the artistry on Probus's cuirass! Welcome back to the fold, @Old World Coins !

Draft saved Draft deleted