Returning Coins to the Bank

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by noahhutch01, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Well, when you pick them up, ask about returns, how to, et al...or call them to find out. Don't you just replace the ones you took out so the roll(s) stay full...? I dunno...haven't done this for 60-plus years...used to just write your name and address and/or phone on the wrappers, no problem. Suppose that's changed, too.

Cheech9712 and noahhutch01 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I actually found one of those today!!!the wrapper had a sticker with the persons name,address,and zip.

noahhutch01 likes this.
  4. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Just call the branches you're interested in and ask if they deposit loose change. You don't need an account to ask that. Then you'll know where to open your accounts :happy:
    Often a branch will tell you that they don't have a change counter but that a nearby branch does.

Cheech9712 and noahhutch01 like this.
  5. noahhutch01

noahhutch01 Member

Called around today, and turns out that none of the banks in my area have a coin machine except the bank that is selling me the boxes! Oh well, gonna have to bite the bullet and maybe open a placeholder account or two at some nearby banks in order to exchange the rolls for cash. I'll just have to be considerate and not drop off $1000 at once lol

Cheech9712 and Kurisu like this.
  6. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Amount doesn't matter. Bringing it in a way that makes it easy for even the tiniest teller to get it into the machine is the best approach. Multiple quart size freezer (they're thicker) ziplock bags is a nice format.

Again though, just ask...it's likely reasonable to bring a $1k in quarters...

Those newer machines do over 4000 coins a minute lol!

The coin vendor (Loomis or whomever are the ones who deal with the weight, electric dolly/hand-truck these days).

noahhutch01 likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They may want quarters, but they don't want half dollars because there is nothing you can do with them. People don't want them, stores don't want them, machines won't take them.
    This is an issue and it's really cheap and sleazy on their end.

noahhutch01, KBBPLL and Cheech9712 like this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Did you ever enter the bank. Smile and comb your hair

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like that story

noahhutch01 likes this.
  10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

This was my first thought. I don't "hunt", but for half dollars it seems like a losing proposition for everybody except the hunter. I haven't seen in a drawer, received, or spent a half dollar in probably 40 years. They seem to exist primarily for people to take them out of circulation for the novelty, not to go back and forth to the bank just to look through. Does any business request quantities of these because they need them?

noahhutch01 likes this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I mean there's no way around the fact that CRH is without question an inconvenience to the bank and an added cost for them that ultimately increases fees on other users especially when the coins are just deposited again instead of spent or dropped at a coinstar for a gift card that has no fees.

Searchers dont like to hear it, but its true. There's no way to avoid the fact that the bank is spending money and doing extra work to order them and then would be doing the exact same thing when they're deposited again even at a different branch especially in a large amount.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    noahhutch01 and imrich like this.
  12. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

My "best attire" is a dark suit with tie, like-colored custom Western hat with turn-down front, boots, dark glasses. A neatly trimmed short beard, full mustache blended into beard, a business card showing credentials, license, and a stern/pleasant respectful "good-day young lady" greeting is proper.

As "Judge Judy" would warn, a smile/smirk is disrespectful when engaging in legal matters.

JMHO

13. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I agree that some searchers are an inconvenience...the type of searcher matters!
    If all you do is buy boxes of halves looking for silver you are certainly a unique inconvenience.

But in the scheme of providing coins for businesses it's way more typical that the coin hunters are a very tiny incidental amount of the bank's coin business compared to their business services.

If a bank has a problem with a particular coin roll hunter they are adults and can ask the person to limit their exchanges or ask them to do it somewhere else.

noahhutch01 likes this.
  14. Michael K

Once in a while when I come across a half dollar (I got one in a coin star last August that is still sitting on my coffee table) I have to apologize when I spend it. I know there's no extra slot in the register, and it's a pain for them when they close out and count up their drawer to have some odd coins.
    It seems like a lose lose scenario. The banks have to pay a small premium for boxes of halves. People come in and take out the odd silver coin and dump the rest, but
    they aren't being circulated in stores, they are just going back through financial institutions and coin rolling companies. "This is an obsolete coin. It has no function."
    (Twilight Zone).

noahhutch01 likes this.
  15. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

The tellers don't actually have much loose change to count at the end of their shifts and they are typically very limited in what they keep at their own tills...mostly at the end of the day it's bills and a few rolls to count and bills can be counted with counting machines in a flash.

Since the job of the tellers is literally almost entirely dealing with counting money going in or out I don't have a ton of pity for them having to take 30 seconds to count some change to verify their till balance when it's a part of their duties every single shift every single day...

As a retail manager for decades in places like mall department stores...the retail cashiers in my experience have WAAAAY more to count at the end of each day!

noahhutch01 likes this.
  16. Michael K

This is what I am talking about, retail cashiers. Not bank tellers.

17. noahhutch01

noahhutch01 Member

I work as a server and I am constantly replenishing our restaurant's cash registers with half dollar coins and dollar coins! The other servers / cashiers hate them, but too bad! ;)

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No actually they don't have to.

19. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted