Returning a counterfeit ebay buy

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Jul 4, 2017.

1. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

So I'll admit I've never heard of the USPS or SS advising not to return known CF items. Is there a process to filing with any agency/entity for a known CF item so they can investigate and, hopefully at some point, get you your money back? If the TPGs are like @Stork said, where are they sending them and how? This would probably reduce the number of counterfeiters peddling their crap on any site, let alone eBay. If I came across something and knew that there was someone enforcing these laws I'd take the time to tip them to the CFs not to only improve my experience, but help others in the hobby/industry the same.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

IF you have a Postmaster 1st Class (appointed) take it to them and they should initiate a complaint with the Inspector General. If you do not have a Postmaster 1st Class, take your complaint to the IG in DC.

Ask anyone at your post office if it is illegal to mail CF, stolen, or even numbers altered items. It absolutely is not legal.

In fact, try mailing CF items and make sure you mark that it is COUNTERFEIT on the box also advising the postal worker when they go through the list of, 'anything hazardous, liquid, perishable etc etc?' speak up then and tell them none of the above, just counterfeit items.

See what happens.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just to make sure I understand, @Ordinary Fool, you're saying that it is illegal to send counterfeit coins through the mail, period? Not just with fraudulent intent, or when you're selling them?

5. Ordinary Fool

Yes it is. Ask anyone at your local post office because I am too lazy to look up their regulations and the USC that speaks to it. It is also illegal to send street drugs through the mail. It is illegal to send stolen items through the mail. Etc...

6. -jeffB

Blissskr likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone should tell the TPGs.

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  8. Ordinary Fool

Note that applies to Federal Reserve currency and the Federal Reserve has never been owned by the USA as the US Mint has.

Note that also does not apply say to, knock off Nike's, Oakley sunglasses, whatever including CF Trade Dollars. The USPS IG has origin of that and can, for modern stuff, bring in the FTC. For a big antique coin racket where people are getting banged 300-1500-ish (just to toss a number out there) the IG can direct the DOJ to take action.

It will not happen as long as idiots compliantly keep returning CF items sent to them in Bad Faith.

9. Ordinary Fool

I haven't read the Hobby Act language to see if they are shielded. They shouldn't be and it is counter-productive to their mission objectives to allow such items back into the 'wild'.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They say lots of things like coins aren't covered by insurance depending who you ask. So what you are really saying is you have no idea but are spouting off as an expert as usual?

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  11. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Isn't Federal Reserve Currency printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which *is* owned by the US Federal Government?

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

You're wrong. It's illegal to send counterfeit items, internationally, as it is illegal to transship (ship through the US without final delivery in the US) counterfeit items. There's nothing stating that it's illegal to mail counterfeit items.

It's illegal to TRAFFIC or sell counterfeit items, which means transportation with intention to sell. If you're returning a counterfeit item, that's different. That said, I wonder if it's illegal to return a counterfeit to China. I'm assuming that under the letter of the law, it might be.

13. -jeffB

What?

From its starting point of "it's illegal to send any counterfeit item through the US mail", your argument seems to be sort of scrambling around now...

Blissskr likes this.
  14. Ordinary Fool

Then reject any or all of it as patently wrong and forget about it, my concerns can be measured in nano-give-a-poops. :)

Mail all the CF and stolen items you wish, more power to you.

Argument you say? Facts I say.

Congress controls the US Mint, it most certainly does not control the Federal Reserve.

Language about pre-1965 coinage exists that gives the SS basis for denying they have origin for a wide range of coins, face value v intrinsic value seems like.

The USPS IG definitely has origin and that is simpler to verify than crapping in the well and not nearly as dangerous.

15. Ordinary Fool

BS.

16. -jeffB

I'm sure your argument is sound based on your beliefs. I just don't think your beliefs correspond to observed reality.

I'm glad that neither of us will have to deal with any bathroom cleanup as a result. :)

17. Ordinary Fool

Observed reality? Good luck with your observations.

18. -jeffB

I'll just point out that I am the one who found information addressing the question from an official government Web site, as opposed to a dismissive "I can't be bothered to look for evidence".

Blissskr and baseball21 like this.
  19. Ordinary Fool

There are all over the net, even at least one in this thread, multiple accounts from interactions of people in this very same position, with the SS involving "collectible" coins. At no time has anyone stated, except in a instance or two when large quantities were involved, that the SS took possession of said CF collectible.

So, take your happy argumentative self to your post office and see about mailing CF items with full disclosure of exactly what your package contains and see what happens.

I don't need to look for "evidence", are you too remedial to look up laws and regulations for yourself? Too bashful to even ask YOUR postmaster, 1st Class or otherwise?

Do you want me to look up case law and Supreme Court holdings for you too?

20. -jeffB

If you want people to take your claims seriously, I think you do.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The post office, SS, collectors, dealers and the TPGs don't care. Counterfeits get mailed all the time. It's the only way to fix many situations.

Draft saved Draft deleted