Returned to coins. Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Old World Coins, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Old World Coins

Old World Coins Well-Known Member

I recently returned to coins after a long hiatus. I picked these two up last week and I do like them but i'm pretty unfamiliar with US coins (only limited knowledge). any opinions are welcome.

1901.jpg 1917.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Both look cleaned the barber harshly so

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I agree with mainebill, but i do have to say nice pictures!

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto! ~ Chris

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Both are very harshly cleaned :(

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, both are cleaned. ;) That said, it takes awhile to identify cleaned coins, at least it took me awhile but once I figured it out I was really happy as I once bought a polished gold $1 Indian and I didn't even know until I sent it in to be graded! Welcome back OWC!! :D

Old World Coins likes this.
  8. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Two very nice examples. Yes, at the least the Barber has been cleaned as evident from the fine marks in the background. Yet with the overall strike and classic album toning it does not detract from a pleasing eye appeal. I like them both.

9. Old World Coins

I kinda figured they were cleaned based on the areas around the stars and words I didn't pay too much of a premium over melt. My plan was to use them and build a20th century coin display for my father or brother. They wont know cleaned but the details are still there. It was just a thought.
    display.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    messydesk likes this.
  10. Old World Coins

I made that mistake before. I do better with copper than silver and especially not gold. I cant differentiate between cleaning lines polish lines and mint adjustments.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Both are definitely cleaned.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Then you paid a really good price! :) Those coins are perfect for what you are getting them for

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, I'd buy coins with that much meat for well over melt, even if harshly cleaned.

I bought a 20th Century Coin Types display on eBay for several times melt on the basis that the Barber half and SLQ both appeared to have a lot of detail left. Most of the coins were cleaned, including the Barber half and possibly the SLQ -- but after selling just those two, I was already in the black.

Welcome back!

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

When I saw the first post, I was thinking, "These would make good type set display coins." Therefore, I find your plan sound.

Draft saved Draft deleted