Return of Roman rule to Carthage (The Empire Strikes Back)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 16, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

In the 5th century AD, the Germanic Vandals invaded and took over the western half of Roman North Africa including its capital Carthage, establishing a kingdom that would rule in the region and the surrounding islands for a century, a century that saw Carthage turn into a mortal enemy of Rome once again and futile attempts by both halves of the Roman Empire to defeat the Vandals and reestablish Roman rule in North Africa.

In 476, after the deposition of the last Western Roman emperor of the west by the barbarians, the Eastern Roman emperor legally became the ruler of all the former Western Roman Empire's lands, but this was only in name, for the various barbarian kings on former Roman lands held the true power and authority.

Romans during this era longed for the times when the Roman Empire was united and reigned supreme over the Mediterranean. One person, however, decided to try to make this a reality once again. Eastern Roman emperor Justinian made the renovatio imperii, the "restoration of the empire", a central goal of his reign. He knew that only by using force would he be able to recover for the Roman Empire its lost western provinces, and in the process, the city of Rome itself.

Justinian began his reconquests by invading the Vandal Kingdom in North Africa, in 533. Within a year, the last Vandal king was captured and forced into retirement, and the entire region brought under Roman control again for the first time in 99 years.

The mint in Carthage continued to operate but this time began striking coins with Justinian's name and effigy, the following example being one such coin. Carthage-mint Byzantine coins in general are scarcer than their more common counterparts from more eastern mints such as Constantinople and Antioch, with some Carthage types rarer than others.

The Romans would lose Carthage permanently to the Muslims in 698 AD.

I obtained the following one for $22. There is currently one of the same type on VCoins (but different regnal year) that is in somewhat better condition being offered for $270.

Justinian I, Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, helemted and cuirassed bust facing, cross to right, holding cross on globe in left hand and shield in right
    Rev: Large M, cross above, S below, ANNO ("year")to left, XIIII ("14") to right
    Mint: Carthage (Mintmark: CAR; struck 540 AD)
    Ref: SB 261
    Size: 20.69 gr, 38 mm wide

[​IMG]

Eng, chrsmat71, Pishpash and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Very nice coin and writeup. I just posted a Pentanummium.

I've written some before but I've been kind of lazy lately. Still trying to figure out my photo system since I just recently stopped using the scanner.

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific synopsis of the era V-K.....and a very cool coin, especially at that price.

What few I have are of the more 'traditional' mints----posted on Gil's thread.

5. ValiantKnight

Thanks all. Of the scarcer Byzantine mints I also have Rome, Ravenna, Catania, and Cherson. Still missing the very rare mints of Salona and Perugia.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. Mikey Zee

V-K, it sounds like you're cornering the 'scarce mint market'.....Congrats!!

7. ValiantKnight

There are some even more obscure and short-lived later Byzantine mints (like Magnesia) but as far as rare/scarce mints go I'm focusing on the earlier ones (Italian mint coins are my favorite to collect but I haven't added one to my collection in a while).

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Excellent coin. Glad to see you added this one to the collection. The Western Justinian coins just ooze history. This a very nice example of the type. Kudos!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. ValiantKnight

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice new addition, Jango ... oh, and thanks for the map and info (always appreciated)

Hey, I saw that a few members posted their Byz-coins in Gil-galad's new thread, so I figured that I'd post my example in your thread (spread it out a bit, right?)

Here is my only example of a
    Justinian I AE Follis

byza.jpg byzb.jpg

Eng, Bing, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  11. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Nice summary and a great coin! $22 is a steal. Congratz!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

indeed a fine write and a cool coin. this is the only byzantine i have that was minted in the west, a heraclius of syracuse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pishpash, Eng, Bing and 3 others like this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Justinian 12 Follis, TES 002.JPG Justinian 12 Follis, TES 001.JPG My sole Justinian--a 1/2 Follis from TES......

Pishpash, stevex6, Eng and 3 others like this.
  14. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Nice write-up and great historical coin.

It is interesting that after the defeat to the Byzantines in AD 534, the Vandals quickly vanished as a distinct ethnic group, although they previously had been strong enough to sack Rome (in AD 455).

guy

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Mikey Zee and chrsmat71 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted