Retread: 1984 FM Trinidad and Tobago 50c Uncirculated Back from PCGS

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jul 2, 2019.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

How rare is your coin then ? What value would it get ? I too am very interested in this information because I enjoy doing research on world coins too. :bookworm:

eric6794 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Well, it really is about supply and demand. The supply or rarity is very limited; if there is this one, we would have to assume that there might be another one or two out there, but I would say very rare.
    However, demand is very low probably. So putting the two together, I would value it at perhaps a 200-250 dollars - thought that would not buy it from me. It probably would help that if sold with the remainder of my similar coins came up for sale that it would be at a large enough venue and if so might bring a bit more.

4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@7Jags would you happen to have the butterfly 5 cents coin ?

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

No, but that would be the same design in the 1983 sets as well - I'd hate to break one up just for the coin, but you could.
    I bought this coin off eBay and really got lucky as it didn't look like anything special until I looked at it closer.
    I have meant to check the Franklin Mint Coins of All Nations (or whatever its called) because it could be like Jamaica where some FM 1984 unc. coins are included. As the 5c does not interest me as much, if I see one will keep you in mind.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. 999fine

999fine New Member

I have difficulty using "rare" and "Franklin Mint" in the same sentence.
    (I apologize if this posts twice, had difficulty signing in)

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This discussion grabbed my attention, given that I own a 1975 T&T 50 cents — matte finish, mintage 2,500. (Shame it had to devolve so quickly into a defensive and argumentative exchange).

[​IMG]

Krause may not list the OP's coin, but Numista does, although with scant information. They distinguish between the KM# 54 copper-nickel 1983-84 coin, which they describe as a "standard circulation coin" and the KM# 54a "non-circulating" sterling silver coin (no mention of a copper-nickel proof, but that doesn't mean there isn't one). Not much more intel beyond that, but enough to make me think the OP's narrative is basically correct.

Suggestion to OP: It took you more than a page to finally and clearly explain your point of view on this coin. Had you done so in your first post, you probably could have avoided the snide push-backs. It's not like anyone is going to come to a thread like this with much preexisting knowledge of the subject.

9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. I didn’t start off by other than introducing the coin.
    The copper nickel version exists in proof as part of the base metal 1984 set but seems to be scarcer. I posted a picture on the first page.

Although I abhor other products of the FM, they did generally have first rate engraving and quality coin products that did become scarce to rare in the early 1980s. Certainly better quality IMO than the US mint for a variety of reasons.

10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

As an update, I have not been able to find any other report of this coin. The Numismata citation above does not give source or picture. I would like to find other 1984 T&T Franklin Mint uncirculated denominations, but not records of them at all.

spirityoda and paddyman98 like this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@7 Jags. I was lucky to get this 1982 5 cents butterfly coin off Ebay for $100 by itself.

y0S7sF9HQBW4UPrf6bNf_1982 A copy.jpg
    YxbGdMPyRJS6Uq54ztNw_1982 B copy.jpg

I learned today that there are 2 metal versions of the 1984 5 cents butterfly coins. A guy on Collectors Universe has both the bronze and silver version. He will not sell them either. Back to hunting for them. I might just have to buy the $700-800 dollars set someday.

8ahb1bvwhp8b.png

Maxfli and onecenter like this.
  12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, these are absolutely lovely - I would imagine that getting someone to break up a set would take some convincing! Interest in FM is picking up by fits and starts - about 5-6 years ago I got the all silver set for 130 USD and then the base metal set (save the $10 which is still sterling) for about 110. Not touchable now...
    The catalogue values are rather off but it is just too hard for Krause to keep up.
    Numista is not great but one source and I have not found it very useful most of the time.

spirityoda likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I like my KM59 in the Franklin Mint proof set. Big hunk of silver! Polish_20210123_220246708.jpg

14. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

These are lovely and possibly addicting....I am! The die work is fabulous, and some of the later issues are scarce to rare as you may find out (1981-1984/5).

15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I agree with @Razz I like a big hunk of silver
    49.2mm, .925 Silver
    Jamaica 1972.jpg

spirityoda and Razz like this.
  16. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I have not confirmed but a source in Trinidad says that the specimen sets though very rare are known from 1984. Like to have one for sure.
    The OP coin could have been cut out of a specimen set but still appears to have been struck an put in a bag [for currency purposes?]. Still haven't seen any other 1984FM T&T uncirculated coins.
    These discoveries that I have been fortunate in coming up with are def. starting to peter out. Ah well, good while it lasted.

I remember that ebay in the late 90s up till about 2010 used to be that way for me when going for nice late milled pre-decimal copper and silver....

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

You are correct. The 1984 sets are rare and expensive. I think I remember seeing 2 sterling silver sets going for $900-1,000 2 years ago on Ebay. Then I said that's way to much. Now in hide site I wish I would have paid with a credit card. :( I am still on the hunt for either 1984 butterfly and would pay good money either 1.

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I know of 1 guy on Collectors Universe that collects only year 1984 world coins. He has both sets. and No he will not sell them to me. he also knows the rarity of these sets.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do not believe anyone would break up a set. I would not blame them either. I will be on the hunt for a 1984 set.

20. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

However, keep your eyes and ears alert as these do occasionally show up - I got the 1984 Papua proof set fairly cheap.
    What do you expect to pay for the T&T 84 proof set?

I am actually looking for the specimen uncirculated set of 1984.

I know who you mean on the other site....

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

T &T proof set goes for $800-1,000. Specimen set not sure , but I would guess at least $400-500.... you never see them in Ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted