Retiring a specific shop

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by snaz, May 7, 2010.

1. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Hey everyone,
    I recently went to a shop in Edmonton. They are known as being the overpriced shop in Edmonton. When I was more green in the hobby than I am now, I would go there and try and learn what I could, but their lack of interest from the shop staff really turned me off. They also sell action figures, hockey cards, stamps, and collector cards.
    I would spend closed to 150$ when I would go there,(I live many hours away from the closest shops) so I would make it worth my while when I got there.
    I remember spending 185$ on a large cent once. It was a variety. I now Know that I was duped. The price was outrageous and I would be lucky to sell it for 120$
    One more is a 1925 cent, this one had been HARSHLY cleaned and severely retoned. I had no idea and paid 325$ for it. Once again, hind sight is 20/20.
    Well today I went there again, I walked into the store and was greeted once again with the lack of acknowledgment. It always seems like a hassle to get them to open the case, and there is no trust in the atmosphere. They're on you like a hawk if you're holding a coin.

Of course, as most of you know, I was looking at large and small cents. Asking to look at some non-key coins, as well as a few keys. ie) 1858, 1925, 1924.
    I first asked for a few common date coins I know are strong with varieties, checked them out, and asked for the next date.
    I asked for the 1858 and his first comment was, "You know that's an expensive one, right?"

Well no ****.
    So I explained I finished the date set a long time ago, and was looking to upgrade. He asked me if I had the other *tough dates and varieties" and I explained I did.
    Well he continues to pry asking me about small date "this" and large date "that".
    When a collector comes in, asking for specific coins, when he has been known to spend over a hundred everytime he comes in (Until recently, the last couple years due to his overgrading and pricing) you should show him respect and at least attempt to trust him.

I know it has nothing to do with how I look, handle my body, or handle coins. As I am frequently offered a job at the shop on mainstreet, and it is made clear if I move there will be work for me.

So why the lack of trust?
    Is it because of my age? 22.
    That is the only explanation I have. If he had have respected me, and actually sparked conversation, as I did when I was young, then I would continue to be a buyer from his shop.

But I have decided to never shop there again, nor will I ever send people to his store.
    In the end, I'll label this topic as a coin shop review.
    And I will rate "West Edmonton mall, coin and stamp" as follows:

Cleanliness: 1/5
    Hospitality: 1/5
    Quality of coins: 2/5
    prices: 2/5

Snaz, signing out. :pencil:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, you did give it the "old college try" Snaz. I think you tried working with these guys much more than they deserved. If I'd have bought a coin from them that I later found out was a re-toned "scrubby" that would have been the last time I would have set foot in that shop. You have way more tolerance than me.....

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have no doubt you wrote the review, but I don't see it. It says " 1 to 3 of 3 (1 Filtered) " at the bottom of the page. Apparently yours is the one.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Im 23 and surprisingly the shop owners here are very nice to me. the one actually let me go through his vault with him the other day to look for some coins he thought he had in there. But the customers are another story. They look at me rather awkwardly. kind of checking to make sure im not trying to rob them or something. lol

6. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I didn't write a review on the site. But I will now, it actually didn't enter my mind.
    I wrote my review here in this thread.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nope - the filtered one is not Shawns also. It is filtered so the bots don't find them. Even then the one filtered is clean. So not sure what is up. I do not think I would like a store that treated me like that. It actually looks like it is in a mall - maybe they get so may "just curious" people that the can not treat the good ones right. Still no excuse.

8. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Here Dick. I posted this on the site. And yes, Mark, it is in a mall. So the store is always full of passer-bys asking about their common coins and junk jewelery.
    So I understand if they get annoyed at times with certain people. But as far as I'm concerned. When a collector comes in, asks to look at specific coins he obviously is interested in. You should show some respect.
    Not once at a show have I ever been reluctant to open my case for anyone, young or old. Intending to buy or just browsing. They've lost the spirit.

9. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

I wouldn't buy from him either...and when he said, "You know that's an expensive one, right?"

You should've replied, "You're absolutely right, it's just like all the rest of your overpriced and low grade problem coins...so nevermind I'll take my business elsewhere."

-LTB

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It shows up plane as day now. I wonder how long it will stay there.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not so very long I am sure......

12. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

I feel you pain. I often get the same treatment from dealers at shows, it's because i'm 18 little do they know that i never go to a coin show with less than 2 Grand in my pocket and I was offered a job (That i am persuing) With Heritage numismatic auctions....

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am 24, and have never felt like I've had a problem with a dealer or a shop because of my age. Perhaps its because I've literally been collecting 23 years, so I know my stuff. Perhaps its because I walk into a store with confidence, and immediately let them know that I know what's going on. Perhaps its because I'm generally well dressed, wear a nice watch, drive a nice car, etc. I don't let them push me around, and I don't let them talk down to me.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In a shop like that, I would have to wonder if the person helping me actually knew anything about coins.

15. About Good

About Good Junior Member

Snaz, let me give you some advice...

Don't take things so seriously....sometimes staff at a shop changes.. I bet the person who sold you those $100's coin would know you, and hopefully remember you.

Since you are a seasoned collector, buying high end coins, you should know what you want before going in. Saying that, they shouldnt of treated you that way...
    Shop were you are happy...

Draft saved Draft deleted