Results Received From NGC Conservation Work

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Sep 22, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I picked these Clad layers up a while ago, but I noticed after I took photographs with a high definition macro lens that these two coins had PVC on the obverse on both of them. It really bothered me, so I inquired about the conservation service at NGC.

I learned a couple things. Number one, in addition to paying the conservation fee, you also have to pay to have it regraded.
    Number two, it adds about an additional month to get your coins back. Number three, though I was not expecting it, removing the PVC did not improve the grade.

I will have to see if the PVC comes back, but I doubt it (or maybe it was it slabbed with it on there?) Anyway, it was very well worth it. I cannot believe how great these look! And the PVC is gone!

Top photo before, bottom photo after

Screenshot_2018-09-22-10-39-55~2.png 0922180928_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_2018-09-22-10-40-53~2.png 0922180922a_HDR.jpg

I have had glasses issued recently, and can see better. Those tiny specs of PVC won't get by me now for awhile. And I have since refused to buy coins even if I really love them if they have any on them (I just don't think knowingly buying them with PVC to then submit to have them cleaned is worth it. But in this case, it was). Nice job, NGC!

0922181005_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If something/anything about a coin initially bothers one, this isn't likely to change down the road and is why it's usually best to just avoid them. Of course there can be exceptions and is more of a general rule for those newer to their hobby.

Glad all worked out and that you're pleased. :)

JCro57 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Job well done, they look much better.

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

NCS tends to do good work. That's a night and day difference there. A couple of nice coins.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did NGC agree it was PVC?

7. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I didnt get a message from them about it actually

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In my experience, they don't usually tell you what was wrong with it.

And I agree, they look much better now.

9. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

wow it looks much better!!

My last submission, NGC did recommend if I wanted a coin conserved and I think it was due to pvc so I said yes and they took care of it and then slabbed the coin. The coin did go up 1 grade. They had said it would be a 62 prior, after it was conserved it was a 63. The coin does look much better than when I had it in a 2x2 prior to sending it to NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted